Factory Direct mattress manufacturers - Dallas/Ft Worth

Thanks for the update Craig - good to hear you got the right combo for your needs as it’s not always the easiest of decisions. :slight_smile:

Yesterday I returned to TMF/The Mattress Factory to see what ILD options might be better suited as the 36 ILD (using Dunlop 6"-36 for the core and 2" - 36 Talalay comfort layer on either side of the core) was too firm for me.

Peter laid a 28 ILD on top of the all 36 ILD to help me get a sense if perhaps a 36 Dunlop core and 28 Talalay comfort offered a better PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). After repeated testing of each bed for well over an hour, I opted for the all 28 ILD (28 ILD 6" core and 28 ILD 2" Talalay dual comfort layers). The 28 gave me that bit of cradling feeling and overall my body felt better.

The pillow options - personally that too seemed to make a difference for me on how the mattress felt overall. I opted for the latex pillows (much better than the foam, contour pillow). I suggest when trying a bed that you also try different types of pillows.

I have read many comments about Dunlop being firm and Talalay being softer, yet I was told that a 36 ILD for Dunlop and Talalay were the same. The link below helped me better understand why.

rjar - continue on the quest to get that perfect latex bed. I should get my 28 ILD later this week and will leave an update.

Thanks to Phoenix and everyone posts on this awesome site - a huge help.

K

Hi KayJazz,

This is “partly” correct but is also “partly” incorrect.

The ILD of a material is not the only specification that has an effect on pressure relief and the sensation of softness (see post #4 here).

If you sink into a mattress layer exactly 25% they would be the same but in most cases different parts of the body or different people will sink into a layer either more or less than this. A material that has a higher compression modulus (gets firmer faster with deeper compression) will feel firmer if you sink into it deeper than 25% and softer if you sink in less than 25% compared to a different material that has the same ILD.

It’s also not the case that all ILD measurements are done in the same way because they can use different perentages of compression to measure ILD and they may also use different layer thicknesses as well which will all affect the ILD rating. There is more about the variations in ILD and how it is tested in post #6 here.

There is also more about the difference in “feel” between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Phoenix

so this place has 36i ld/28 ild dunlop only and only 24 ild/28 ild talalay? that is not much of a choice.

Nope, they can do custom, depending upon what you want.

what is source of their dunlop and talalay latex? is talalay latex synthetic?
28ild dunlop is not soft. what customization when he only has 2 latex mattresses to try? you cant customize unless you try it otherwise it is just guesswork.

Hi needhelp,

Many manufacturers keep the source of their materials confidential for competitive reasons and don’t disclose this to their customers but they could certainly provide the type and blend of any latex in their mattress which is the information that would be important to know.

Both manufacturers of Talalay latex (Latex International and Radium) make two basic versions. One is 100% natural (it has no synthetic rubber in the formula) and the other is a blend which is approximately 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber (although it can vary to some degree). They will tell you which one they use but I believe it’s the blended Talalay. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Softness and firmness are very subjective and relative to each person’s perceptions. In a comfort layer 28 ILD would usually be considered medium but 28 ILD would be on the softer end of the range if it was used as a support layer so softness/firmness also depends on the function of the specific layer.

If you have tested a specific combination then you can use your testing to decide if you need more support or more pressure relief than the mattress you are testing and use this as a reference point for any changes to the mattress. If a manufacturer can also make changes to the mattress after a purchase then you can also use your own actual sleeping experience to confirm that the design is suitable for you so knowing the options you have after a purchase can also be an important part of your research and your personal value equation.

Phoenix

I am only asking the company/companies from which they source their latex why would it be confidential information? does not make any sense at all
how can you test when you only have 2 mattresses and just a few combinations to make a decision? laying in store and sleeping at home for some days may be entirely 2 different experiences.

Hi needhelp,

Because this is a very competitive industry and there are many cases where a manufacturer may not want to disclose their sources for competitive reasons. In most cases their sources would be meaningless for their customers anyway. While some manufacturers will provide the sources for their raw materials or components … it’s the type and blend of latex that is important to know … not the manufacturer’s sources.

This is all part of each person’s personal value equation and your “in store” testing in combination with your ability to make changes after a purchase based on your sleeping experience are all parts of each person’s personal value equation that may be more or less important to different people and are part of the reasons why different people buy from different businesses. There are some people who buy mattresses online that have never tested a mattress that is even similar to the one they purchase and are quite comfortable doing so.

Your experience on a mattress in the showroom can also be a good reference point for a mattress that would work well for you even if it isn’t exactly the same (your testing and discussions with the manufacturer may indicate that you need a little more firmness in the support layers or a little more softness in the comfort layers for example in which case it would be easy to change the design you are testing in the direction that you believe would be better for you)

I would look for the retailers or manufacturers that offer what you are looking for and have the options that are important to you which may be very different from what is important for someone else. There is no right or wrong here … only different choices and options that some people are more or less comfortable with than others.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix-

It has been 3 months now that we have had our latex mattress from Mattress Factory, and it is amazing! I just wanted to update my original post and say that it was the best purchase ever! We got the 28/36/28 medium firmness mattress. My neck problems, and my husband’s sciatic issues are so much better. We do not wake up sore or in pain. I am a side sleeper and really recommend the medium mattress. It is so incredibly comfortable and feels like nothing else. So I highly recommend Mattress Factory in Fort Worth. They make quality products (and I was told it is all-natural latex, not synthetic, not a blend) and they have fast turn around. Three days from purchase to delivery.

My other recommendation is My Organic Sleep website for latex pillows- we got the dual zone all-natural latex pillows with organic cotton cover. These are very comfortable and I credit them with relieving my constant neck pain. They do not sag or lose firmness like other pillows. They took about a week to get used to, and have a slight smell (which the mattress does not) but this smell dissipated after a week. The best pillow I have ever used. Oh, and very reasonable at $120 for two.

Thank you for your mattress forum and all the info on latex!

Hi DandS,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to see you are doing so well with your mattress (and your pillow) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello all, just keeping everyone posted on what’s been going on. I upgraded from the 24/28/24 combo from the mattress factory to the 28/36/28 combo and it’s definitely better on my back than the previous bed. I paid another delivery fee and unfortunately I think it might be too firm now! I want to avoid having to return this bed entirely so I’m thinking of purchasing a mattress topper. I don’t know what material I should go for and how thick. Do you have any suggestions to what I can do to get the perfect feel?

I’m so close to having the mattress just right…

Hi rjar,

Thanks for the update and that’s good news because it’s certainly easier to fine tune a mattress that is a little too firm and needs some additional pressure relief with a topper than it is to change a mattress that is too soft which usually requires the removal and replacement of some of the foam layers or a replacement of the mattress itself.

Before you consider a topper I would make sure you have slept on your mattress for a while because of the adjustment and break in period that are part of any new mattress purchase and there are also other factors that can affect the feel and softness of your mattress (see post #2 here).

If you do decide that a topper would be helpful then post #2 here and the posts it links to have some information and guidelines that use your assessment of your sleeping experience to help you make the best possible topper choice.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m hoping you may have a some more guidance for me. My first mattress from The Mattress Factory/TMF was a 36 (core & comfort) and that was a bit too firm as it was causing some lower lumbar pain. I switched to an all 28 ILD (core & comfort) and being a side sleeper wake each morning with hip pain on that side. I tried the quilted cotton topper purchased from TMF, however, that didn’t help much. Thoughts as I really would like to stay w/a latex bed, however, I am not having the best of luck finding the perfect PPP.

Hi KayJazz,

There isn’t really any way for me to know for certain outside of generic suggestions because I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress. In general your best course of action would be a more detailed conversation with a manufacturer that can cover much more ground than the more limited depth of information that is possible on a forum.

Having said that … there are some general suggestions in post #2 here that talk about some of the more common “symptoms” on a mattress and some potential solutions.

The first step would be to decide whether your mattress is too soft or too firm in either the comfort or support layers and whether your hip pain is from pressure points or because your hips are sinking into the mattress too far and flexing the hip joint out of its neutral alignment.

If your comfort layers are too firm and causing pressure points then a topper or a thicker or softer comfort layer can be helpful.

If you are sinking down too far into the mattress and are having alignment issues but the pressure relief is good … then a firmer support layer may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix.

Post # 2 was helpful. I feel the 28 core/comfort may be to soft where my hips are sinking too much and I no longer have a neutral body alignment. I’ll need to work through my next steps.

Hi KayJazz,

Based on your experience that makes sense to me. It’s always a good idea to separate comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment as two separate functions so you can use your sleeping experience to try and identify the firmness of the support layers that you would likely do best with for support/alignment (probably firmer based on your symptoms) and the softness of the comfort layer that you would do best with for comfort/pressure relief (possibly the same?) as “separate but connected” issues so that you end up with the best possible “balance” between them.

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you decide to do and the outcome of your conversations with Peter.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Do you have a post that explains the difference between purchasing a 1 piece latex mattress (e.g. no core with separate comfort layers)?
Do you feel that a 1 piece lasts longer and then there’s an option to put on an ‘external’ topper if necessary or can change out that topper more frequently if necessary versus say purchasing a 28/34/28, etc.? I understand that a topper can also be put on a layered mattress, just wanting your thoughts on a 1 layer latex mattress.

Thanks again - KayJazz

Hi KayJazz,

Some of the pages in the mattresses section of the site (some are linked in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) talk about different mattress designs and layering combinations. Post #11 here should also be helpful and there is more about the effect of thickness in individual layers or a mattress itself in post #14 here. Two 3" layers can provide more flexibility in the design of a mattress (for example a single layer can only be a single firmness and two layers can use multiple firmness levels) and change the balance between comfort and support. These types of questions can become very complex when you are getting into mattress design and theory because there are so many variables involved and in the end the “theory” involved in any particular design is not nearly as important as which design works best for you in “real life” in terms of PPP anyway.

If you are comparing a 6" core of latex to two 3" cores of the same type and firmness level then there wouldn’t be any significant difference in their durability. There is more about the factors that can affect the durability of a mattress in post #4 here. Outside of comparing materials in in the top 5" or 6" or so of two different mattresses to identify which one uses more durable materials (some materials are more durable than others) … in most cases it’s enough to just make sure that there are no obvious weak links in a mattress (see post #4 here). Many single layer mattresses are also two sided which would add to the durability and useful life of a mattress (see post #3 here about two sided mattresses).

A separate topper has similar advantages to a component mattress (with replaceable comfort layers) which is that you can replace a single layer if it softens or wears out before the rest of the mattress without having to replace the entire mattress. A topper will also feel and perform differently on different mattresses though so if you can’t test a specific mattress/topper in person for PPP then it can sometimes be as difficult to choose a suitable topper as it is to choose a mattress. In some cases a local manufacturer can also rebuild a mattress by replacing the layers that have softened or broken down.

Phoenix

I’ve posted and asked questions in several other topics, but now that we made our selection I thought I should post our experience here since we are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we went with one of the local factory direct companies.

After reading the
For a while we were considering two approaches - either online

I’ve posted and asked questions in several other topics, but now that we’ve made our selection I thought I should post our experience here since we are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we went with one of the local factory direct companies.

Thanks to all the information and advice on this site, as well as trying out various mattresses, we came to the conclusion that an all latex mattress was the best choice for us. Some of you may have seen in another topic that we were deciding whether to go with a split king or regular king - we decided on split king. We also decided that we’d prefer to purchase from a local company if possible.

As with others in this thread, we finally selected a mattress at The Mattress Factory. Peter (the owner) was very helpful, knowledgeable, and low key. Nothing like the “used car” salesmen type you have to deal with at the mainstream mattress retailers. As others have mentioned, it’s an old building in an industrial part of Ft Worth with a bare bones “showroom” - it’s all about the mattresses here, they’re definitely not trying to impress you with the décor of the “showroom”. One neat aspect of the “showroom” that I don’t think anyone has mentioned is that it has windows in the back wall, so you can see right into the factory and see mattresses being made. (Less impressive than it sounds. This is a very small operation. But still neat to see, and it says something to me that they have no problem with customers seeing into the factory at any time.)

Since The Mattress Factory is about an hour from us, I had “scouted” it out a few weeks ago to see if this was as good a possibility as it sounded in this thread. I was very impressed with the mattresses and my interaction with Peter, so arranged to return with my wife and meet him this past Saturday morning. Meanwhile I continued to “scout” other stores and try other mattresses, but when this Saturday came around while we had found some other possibilities we hadn’t found any possibility that I liked more.

There were four all latex models on the floor. One was way too soft for both me and my wife, and one was too firm for both of us. Between the remaining two my wife finally settled on the one that was 6" 28ILD support core with a 2" 28ILD comfort layer on each side - 28/28/28.

I, however, was feeling kind of in-between - I preferred the comfort of the one my wife liked, but preferred the more firm support of the other. So I discussed that with Peter and he suggested that he could combine my preferences by doing a 6" 36ILD support core with a 2" 28ILD comfort layer on each side - 28/36/28. He even went back in the factory and brought out a 2" 28ILD Talalay layer and laid it on the other mattress to give me a very general idea of how it would feel (of course I understand that the feel was being affected by the fact that I was laying directly on the 28ILD layer and it was “on” the mattress instead of built “in” the mattress, as well as the fact that the other mattress’ existing comfort layer was impacting the feel as well.)

That turned out to be a good suggestion, it hit the sweet spot for me.

Throughout all this my wife was apparently thinking, and had started laying on the 28/28/28 again. She then came over and laid on this “test bed”, and very shortly decided she really liked that combination as well - with the more firm support layer.

So we both ended up going with 28/36/28 - 6" core with 2" comfort layers on each side. (I love that they still make two-sided mattresses that can be flipped to even out the wear and extend the life of the mattress.)

They currently have a $100 internet coupon discount which he gave us, plus he gave us the 5% TMU discount. They will build the mattresses over the first few days this week and deliver it to us on Thursday.

(I’ve also ordered a couple of twin xl St Dormier wool mattress protectors from FloBeds.com.)

A couple other comments…

The innersprings mattresses at The Mattress Factory also appeared to be quite good. Worth checking out if you prefer innerspring.

We also checked out Sleep Craft in Lewisville. Also had a very good experience there, just like at The Mattress Factory - helpful, knowledgeable, low key, and not the “used car” salesman type of mainstream stores. Their all latex mattress offering was a single 6" layer. Unfortunately, to me a single layer is either too soft for the support I need/want or to firm for the comfort I need/want. They had very good innersprings as well, including the option of innerspring with a latex comfort layer. Definitely worth checking out if you prefer innerspring, or you if like a single layer all latex.

I think I agree with someone else who posted in this thread that if I wanted an innerspring I’d definitely consider Sleep Craft along with The Mattress Factory, whereas The Mattress Factory would be (and is) my choice for an all latex.

Well, I hope that helps someone else looking to buy a mattress in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, now or in the future.

I’ll return with posts as we experience the bed… as well as any service/support dealings with The Mattress Factory, if any become necessary.