Factory Direct mattress manufacturers - Dallas/Ft Worth

Hi Phoenix,

I’m hoping you may have a some more guidance for me. My first mattress from The Mattress Factory/TMF was a 36 (core & comfort) and that was a bit too firm as it was causing some lower lumbar pain. I switched to an all 28 ILD (core & comfort) and being a side sleeper wake each morning with hip pain on that side. I tried the quilted cotton topper purchased from TMF, however, that didn’t help much. Thoughts as I really would like to stay w/a latex bed, however, I am not having the best of luck finding the perfect PPP.

Hi KayJazz,

There isn’t really any way for me to know for certain outside of generic suggestions because I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress. In general your best course of action would be a more detailed conversation with a manufacturer that can cover much more ground than the more limited depth of information that is possible on a forum.

Having said that … there are some general suggestions in post #2 here that talk about some of the more common “symptoms” on a mattress and some potential solutions.

The first step would be to decide whether your mattress is too soft or too firm in either the comfort or support layers and whether your hip pain is from pressure points or because your hips are sinking into the mattress too far and flexing the hip joint out of its neutral alignment.

If your comfort layers are too firm and causing pressure points then a topper or a thicker or softer comfort layer can be helpful.

If you are sinking down too far into the mattress and are having alignment issues but the pressure relief is good … then a firmer support layer may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix.

Post # 2 was helpful. I feel the 28 core/comfort may be to soft where my hips are sinking too much and I no longer have a neutral body alignment. I’ll need to work through my next steps.

Hi KayJazz,

Based on your experience that makes sense to me. It’s always a good idea to separate comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment as two separate functions so you can use your sleeping experience to try and identify the firmness of the support layers that you would likely do best with for support/alignment (probably firmer based on your symptoms) and the softness of the comfort layer that you would do best with for comfort/pressure relief (possibly the same?) as “separate but connected” issues so that you end up with the best possible “balance” between them.

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you decide to do and the outcome of your conversations with Peter.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Do you have a post that explains the difference between purchasing a 1 piece latex mattress (e.g. no core with separate comfort layers)?
Do you feel that a 1 piece lasts longer and then there’s an option to put on an ‘external’ topper if necessary or can change out that topper more frequently if necessary versus say purchasing a 28/34/28, etc.? I understand that a topper can also be put on a layered mattress, just wanting your thoughts on a 1 layer latex mattress.

Thanks again - KayJazz

Hi KayJazz,

Some of the pages in the mattresses section of the site (some are linked in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) talk about different mattress designs and layering combinations. Post #11 here should also be helpful and there is more about the effect of thickness in individual layers or a mattress itself in post #14 here. Two 3" layers can provide more flexibility in the design of a mattress (for example a single layer can only be a single firmness and two layers can use multiple firmness levels) and change the balance between comfort and support. These types of questions can become very complex when you are getting into mattress design and theory because there are so many variables involved and in the end the “theory” involved in any particular design is not nearly as important as which design works best for you in “real life” in terms of PPP anyway.

If you are comparing a 6" core of latex to two 3" cores of the same type and firmness level then there wouldn’t be any significant difference in their durability. There is more about the factors that can affect the durability of a mattress in post #4 here. Outside of comparing materials in in the top 5" or 6" or so of two different mattresses to identify which one uses more durable materials (some materials are more durable than others) … in most cases it’s enough to just make sure that there are no obvious weak links in a mattress (see post #4 here). Many single layer mattresses are also two sided which would add to the durability and useful life of a mattress (see post #3 here about two sided mattresses).

A separate topper has similar advantages to a component mattress (with replaceable comfort layers) which is that you can replace a single layer if it softens or wears out before the rest of the mattress without having to replace the entire mattress. A topper will also feel and perform differently on different mattresses though so if you can’t test a specific mattress/topper in person for PPP then it can sometimes be as difficult to choose a suitable topper as it is to choose a mattress. In some cases a local manufacturer can also rebuild a mattress by replacing the layers that have softened or broken down.

Phoenix

I’ve posted and asked questions in several other topics, but now that we made our selection I thought I should post our experience here since we are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we went with one of the local factory direct companies.

After reading the
For a while we were considering two approaches - either online

I’ve posted and asked questions in several other topics, but now that we’ve made our selection I thought I should post our experience here since we are in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we went with one of the local factory direct companies.

Thanks to all the information and advice on this site, as well as trying out various mattresses, we came to the conclusion that an all latex mattress was the best choice for us. Some of you may have seen in another topic that we were deciding whether to go with a split king or regular king - we decided on split king. We also decided that we’d prefer to purchase from a local company if possible.

As with others in this thread, we finally selected a mattress at The Mattress Factory. Peter (the owner) was very helpful, knowledgeable, and low key. Nothing like the “used car” salesmen type you have to deal with at the mainstream mattress retailers. As others have mentioned, it’s an old building in an industrial part of Ft Worth with a bare bones “showroom” - it’s all about the mattresses here, they’re definitely not trying to impress you with the décor of the “showroom”. One neat aspect of the “showroom” that I don’t think anyone has mentioned is that it has windows in the back wall, so you can see right into the factory and see mattresses being made. (Less impressive than it sounds. This is a very small operation. But still neat to see, and it says something to me that they have no problem with customers seeing into the factory at any time.)

Since The Mattress Factory is about an hour from us, I had “scouted” it out a few weeks ago to see if this was as good a possibility as it sounded in this thread. I was very impressed with the mattresses and my interaction with Peter, so arranged to return with my wife and meet him this past Saturday morning. Meanwhile I continued to “scout” other stores and try other mattresses, but when this Saturday came around while we had found some other possibilities we hadn’t found any possibility that I liked more.

There were four all latex models on the floor. One was way too soft for both me and my wife, and one was too firm for both of us. Between the remaining two my wife finally settled on the one that was 6" 28ILD support core with a 2" 28ILD comfort layer on each side - 28/28/28.

I, however, was feeling kind of in-between - I preferred the comfort of the one my wife liked, but preferred the more firm support of the other. So I discussed that with Peter and he suggested that he could combine my preferences by doing a 6" 36ILD support core with a 2" 28ILD comfort layer on each side - 28/36/28. He even went back in the factory and brought out a 2" 28ILD Talalay layer and laid it on the other mattress to give me a very general idea of how it would feel (of course I understand that the feel was being affected by the fact that I was laying directly on the 28ILD layer and it was “on” the mattress instead of built “in” the mattress, as well as the fact that the other mattress’ existing comfort layer was impacting the feel as well.)

That turned out to be a good suggestion, it hit the sweet spot for me.

Throughout all this my wife was apparently thinking, and had started laying on the 28/28/28 again. She then came over and laid on this “test bed”, and very shortly decided she really liked that combination as well - with the more firm support layer.

So we both ended up going with 28/36/28 - 6" core with 2" comfort layers on each side. (I love that they still make two-sided mattresses that can be flipped to even out the wear and extend the life of the mattress.)

They currently have a $100 internet coupon discount which he gave us, plus he gave us the 5% TMU discount. They will build the mattresses over the first few days this week and deliver it to us on Thursday.

(I’ve also ordered a couple of twin xl St Dormier wool mattress protectors from FloBeds.com.)

A couple other comments…

The innersprings mattresses at The Mattress Factory also appeared to be quite good. Worth checking out if you prefer innerspring.

We also checked out Sleep Craft in Lewisville. Also had a very good experience there, just like at The Mattress Factory - helpful, knowledgeable, low key, and not the “used car” salesman type of mainstream stores. Their all latex mattress offering was a single 6" layer. Unfortunately, to me a single layer is either too soft for the support I need/want or to firm for the comfort I need/want. They had very good innersprings as well, including the option of innerspring with a latex comfort layer. Definitely worth checking out if you prefer innerspring, or you if like a single layer all latex.

I think I agree with someone else who posted in this thread that if I wanted an innerspring I’d definitely consider Sleep Craft along with The Mattress Factory, whereas The Mattress Factory would be (and is) my choice for an all latex.

Well, I hope that helps someone else looking to buy a mattress in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, now or in the future.

I’ll return with posts as we experience the bed… as well as any service/support dealings with The Mattress Factory, if any become necessary.

Hi JoelD,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up purchasing and for taking the time to share your detailed thoughts about The Mattress Factory and your experiences there (and your other Dallas experiences as well) … I appreciate it!

You clearly did some good research and testing and I think you ended up making a great choice. It’s especially good to see that you were able to differentiate the difference between “comfort” and “support” and recognized the importance of each along with the “balance” between them.

So once again … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

More updates about my latex mattress. I’m not sure if it’s too soft or too firm anymore.

I know my shoulders are definitely a lot higher than my hips and I wake up in the morning with pain all on the side I sleep on (my right side) My right shoulder is pretty sore in the morning as well as the right side of my back and hip area.

I tried an alternative down pillow topper and even though it definitely makes my bed feel more plush, I don’t know that’s it’s helping my shoulder pain.

I’m feeling like I should just turn around and stick with a regular spring mattress because I have no idea what to adjust or how to alleviate these symptoms I’m feeling.

Hi rjar,

The shoulder pain could generally be a pillow issue or it could mean that you need softer/thicker materials under your shoulders that “allow” them to sink in more easily.

If your hip pain is from side sleeping then it may also be too firm under your hips.

The back pain is most likely from an alignment issue and could also be related to comfort layers that are too firm and/or don’t “fill in” the recessed gaps of your body when you are sleeping on your side.

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress so your own “educated best judgement” based on your symptoms and some of the information I linked in my reply here is the “best” way to decide what changes you believe may be necessary or the changes you ask a manufacturer to make for you but having said that your experiences seem to “point to” your comfort layers being too firm or thin and if this is the case then the topper guidelines I linked in my reply here may be helpful.

I would also keep in mind that if you choose an innerspring mattress and the springs are roughly the same firmness as your latex support core but the mattress has the same comfort layers on top of it that you may experience the same symptoms regardless of the type of support core in the mattress and the type of support system you use in a mattress may not be the underlying cause of your symptoms. Pressure relief and alignment are usually more about the design and layering of a mattress and how all the layers interact together with your body when you sleep than they are about the specific type of components in a mattress.

Phoenix

My husband and I are headed to the Mattress Factory tomorrow because of the recommendation on this very valuable website. Thanks for the wealth of information that you have provided!

Hi Haunted Mansion,

Your very welcome … and I’m glad you found us :).

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

H.M.
Be sure and try to test a latex bed close to the 28/36/28 combo. So far this is my 3rd latex bed and I think I am close to finally finding the right combo. All 36 seemed too firm; all 28 too soft. Good luck.

My wife and I will be trying the matressfactory in Fort Worth this coming Monday based on the feedback from this website.

One thing I noticed however, was that the link for mattress1.com no longer works. After looking around, I am wondering if the new website is actually: http://www.citymattressfactory.com/ ? We may visit there as well.

BTW, great website for an engineer who has always believed that the boxstore mattresses were a ripoff.

Hi eastib,

Thanks for the kind words and for the heads up about the City Mattress link as well :).

They must have changed their website sometime this year. It’s the same manufacturer and I’ve changed the link in the Dallas list here along with all the other forum posts that had the old URL.

I’m looking forward to any feedback you have the chance to share after your visits.

Phoenix

Headed to mattress factory tomorrow. I’m a big guy and was looking for a mattress with 12-14" thickness but it looks like mattress factory maxes out at 10. Will report back.

Hi Doug,

They can do custom builds but I would first start with what you can test in person.

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Looking for a rather firm mattress, and was headed towards the Mattress Factory’s Barrington Foam and Latex mattress, but the wife is very hesitant as she is allergic to latex. What do you think of their Elegance series?

Hi darkarchon,

If her allergy is type IV it would likely be fine. If her allergy is Type I then I would certainly avoid all latex. There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

In terms of how suitable it may be for your body type and sleeping positions … I would make sure you do some careful testing of course (with both of you on the mattress) to make sure it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and that you are OK with any motion transfer of an innerspring with helicals.

In terms of quality I would need to know the specifics of what was inside it (see this article) to make any meaningful comments about it because I don’t know the density of the foam they use but the cotton and the innerspring are both good quality components. Not surprisingly the price seems very reasonable as well.

Phoenix