Factory Direct Mattresses in the Toronto, ON and GTA area.

I just bought a pillowtop double mattress and bed from Quality Mattress in Mississauga. The owner was kind and gave me a good deal. I love my bed! I can’t wait to go to sleep!

Do your homework, guys. It’ll pay off:

“I’m not gonna make that much money off this but… You’ve done your homework, so…”

When you know the product, you not only earn the seller’s respect, you earn his friendship. You are knowledgeable and passionate about the same thing.

Thank you Mattress Underground for all the information you provided me with. I’ve told friends about the website and advised them to avoid big name brands from big name stores.

Happy hunting,

• Cam M

Hi Cam M,

Congratulations on your new mattress !

I appreciate your kind words and also sharing your experience with Quality Rest as well.

It’s great to see one more knowledgeable consumer who finds a quality local manufacturer and takes one more “bite” out of the local market share. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you so much for your infomation. I am a manufacture in China.We specialized in memory foam mattress with good quality and pretty competitive price. From your information, let me know more ideas about the mattress market in Canada. Thank you so much. If you need more detail information about our comapny.pls feel free to send me mail: [email protected].

Hi sunnyliang82,

I thought I would reply to this post (and I have deleted your other post and your PM) because I think you may be misunderstanding the goal of this site. It is not designed to help foreign manufacturers who may be thinking of doing business in either Canada or the US but to help consumers find manufacturers who are already here.

While I welcome any more “educational” information you may supply to various threads on the forum that are specific to the questions being asked by members concerning various types of materials or your experiences as a manufacturer or even any design theories you may have, the forum is to help consumers to find the best manufacturers that are already here. I’m just not sure if this site is appropriate for what you are looking for or the type of information you think I can help with.

I certainly appreciate your interest in the site though and any information that you may choose to share that is directly connected to the topic of a thread is always welcomed.

Phoenix

Hi,

Thought I would provide an update on my mattress since I’ve had it for about 2 months now.

So far I am enjoying it very much and I wake up feeling much more relaxed due to the pressure relief. One thing I found was that my Magniflex memory foam pillow wasn’t working as well. Previously, it was a very comfortable pillow, however the countour was digging into my neck more causing some discomfort. Most likely this is due to my new mattress being softer than my previous mattress with my body sinking a more. Since I liked how talalay latex felt in my mattress, I ordered a couple of Rejuvenite high profile pillows through eBay with the traditional pillow design . I have to say the combination of the two is working very well for me. Now for me the biggest problem is getting to bed in time so that I can actually get enough sleep.

Hi EDM,

Thanks a lot for your ongoing feedback. It’s always great when people follow up after a while so other members can get a sense of how things are working after someone has been sleeping on their mattress for a while.

Pillows are a really unique and sometimes ongoing project … and part of this is that our pillow preferences can change from time to time and even with different moods or circumstances. There are lots of people who have several pillows and change them as their preferences change. Like you mentioned … a change in mattress can often need a change in pillows as well for the reasons you mentioned.

Pillows seem to be the topic of several threads in the last few days. I also like the rejuvenite pillows and for those who like latex pillows they are a great choice.

I can also relate to the “contour” being too high in your memory foam pillow. One of the pillows we have is the trillow (mentioned in the pillow thread) and I use it in the thickest version with the bigger bump being under my neck while my DH uses it in the thinner version with the lower bump under her head. It’s kind of nice to have the options.

I can also relate to the problem of getting to bed “on time” … which I rarely do these days!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Phoenix

thanks for sharing the information, I will do extendsive research for your recommanded manufactory listing

Phoenix,
I wanted to get your feedback about a latex mattress that I tried at nineclouds.ca store in Mississauga in the GTA area.
Here’s the link to that mattress that I tried and really enjoyed. :
http://www.nineclouds.ca/Mattresses/Spring-Air-Mattresses/Prodigy-Latex-Mattress-Set.html
I think it’s made by Spring air. I have a very sensitive neck pain and after trying a mattress for at least 15 mins in the showrrom, I can gauge if it has a chance to fit me by not experiencing neck pain after the trial.

This one was good, but I still want feedback because I’ve had many bad experiences in the past with mattresses which didn’t work out once I brought it home.
Thanks for the help.

Hi tekila,

The description of the mattress is a little unclear but if I’m reading it right from bottom to top it has

4.5" of polyfoam
3.5" of firm latex
1" of super soft polyfoam
1" of quiltflex (soft polyfoam in the quilting)
Antimicrobial blend foam (unknown thickness)

This to me is a lot of polyfoam over the latex which would probably be the weak link of the mattress and be subject to more rapid softening.

I would want to know the density of all the polyfoam (except perhaps the quiltflex), the type of latex they are using, and the details and thickness of the “antimicrobial blend foam”.

Just as an aside as well … your neck pain may also be related to the pillow you are using (or the pillow you are using when you test a mattress).

The price for a polyfoam hybrid is also fairly high IMO.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I also saw you mention somewhere that you were going to produce a list of online mattress manufacturers who ship to Canada. Do you mind to post it here again ? Thanks

Hi tekila,

I don’t actually have a list of manufacturers or online stores that ship across Canada up to now but there are a few I know of that do.

Canadian manufacturers or retailers …

Memory Foam Comfort Member of The Mattress Underground

CBH Wood Furniture Member of The Mattress Underground

Evrbed Member of The Mattress Underground

Some other sources outside TMU membership include
sleepys.ca They sell a wide range of mattresses and component latex mattresses as well.
Discount Foam Sells mattresses as well as individual polyfoam, memory foam, and latex layers (Western Canada only).
The Foam Store Sells mattresses as well as memory foam and polyfoam.

silkandsnow.com
Dormio.ca

Douglas Bed (from Novosbed). Canadian-only.

US Manufacturers and retailers that ship to Canada across the border …
Arizona Premium Mattress Member of The Mattress Underground
sleepez.com Member of The Mattress Underground
nestbedding.com Member of The Mattress Underground

Some more sources (Non members)
supremecomfort.com

zenhaven.com (Ontario only)
Rocky Mountain Mattress
Casper
halstead.ca
tmasc.ca
Dreamfoam & Brooklyn Bedding
http://www.us-mattress.com/

I would avoid the major brands they carry, make sure you can find out the quality specs of any mattress you are considering here (since many of the manufacturers they carry may not provide them), and confirm the cost involved to ship to the specific province you are in.

As I think of more I’ll add them here. Make sure you call any US manufacturers for Canadian prices, shipping rates, and any taxes or brokerage fees that may apply as well as their return/refund policy for Canada as they will probably vary widely depending on the type of mattress that is being shipped (some may be able to ship UPS or have shipping rates that are discounted and some may require truck freight which is more expensive).

Phoenix

I tried the Crescendo Latex mattress in Toronto yesterday. I really liked it. It felt very plush, but with firm support underneath. Would you know how this mattress compares from a construction standpoint with the Simply Natural from Ton Furniture? If they are similar, the Ton Furniture model is considerably less expensive.

I drove to The GTA from London ON (about 2+ hours away), but didn’t get to other mattress manufacturers in the area (other commitments took me to the area). I may have to go back, but its a lot of driving, and I wonder if the extra time and expense is worth it.

Ideal tells me they can make the Crescendo in a two sided version for about 25% more. Two sided seems like good value, but I don’t know if the price is reasonable.

This site has been extremely helpful, by the way. Thanks for helping to demystify an industry no less shady than used car sales.

Hi Mel,

I think both of the options you are looking are probably in a “better value range” but to make a more meaningful assessment and comparison between them I would need a little more information about both than is listed on their sites. If you call both of them you should be able to fill in the gaps of the information that is missing.

Crescendo Latex mattress:

I have had several good conversations with the owners at Ideal mattress and they are knowledgeable about their products and helpful with their customers and I think highly of them.

This mattress is basically a Kingsdown mattress with 3" of natural latex (probably Dunlop but I would make sure and also confirm whether it is 100% natural latex or a blend)

It has a zoned pocket coil which appears to be good quality but I would want to know the number of coils and the gauge (or since it is zoned the range of the gauges). This is not a completely accurate way to compare different pocket coil innersprings but at least it provides some basic information and the innersprings of a mattress are not usually the “weak link” of the mattress.

I also believe this may have other layers as well and I would want to know what these are.

The mattress also has other “features” such as “motion separation technology” and their “solo sleep system” which I would want to know the details to see if these provided any extra value that was important to you.

This has an organic cotton tick which is a good quality material but I would also want to know what is in the quilting

Simply Natural:

I have also talked with Tonfurniture and think highly of them as well. They work closely with Dreamstar and are knowledgeable and open about their mattresses as well.

This one has a Talalay latex comfort layer but they don’t specify the thickness (it could just be an inch or so) or the blend (either blended or 100% natural).

It also contains several other polyfoam layers and I would want to know the thickness and density of each of them.

This also has an organic cotton tick and wool in the quilting which is great for controlling humidity and temperature.

The innerspring is a 13 gauge 900 coils which is good quality and lower gauge (thicker) than most pocket coils.

Both of these have a foam surround for edge support and I am not a particular fan of this method of making the edge firmer because of the risk of delamination and foam softening. There are better ways to do this (such as steel reinforcements, firmer coils on the edge, or polyfoam re-inforcements in the coils) and using polyfoam is really just a cost cutting measure that reduces the cost of the steel coils that are used. I would certainly want to know the density of the polyfoam that was used in both cases.

Of course your own personal testing on each of these and how they compare in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) is just as much a part of their value along with the other services, options, and benefits that are included with each mattress purchase which may also be an important part of your “personal value equation” and can’t be “separated out” from the overall value of each one.

So if you can call both of them and have them provide a more detailed “layer by layer” description it would make a more meaningful comparison between the two of them possible.

Phoenix

I’m writing this after putting a small down-payment on the crescendo mattress today. My finacee and I were both in a bit of a rush to get a mattress and I just spent some time reading this website beforehand, we visited a few stores and then went to ideal. I thought this bed fit our basic requirements, as she is mostly an on the side sleeper of a moderate build but curvy and I’m a combo sleeper with an athletic build (wide shoulders, chest heavy).

To add to some of the details regarding the bed:

Quilting panel
1.75" convulated soya foam
1/2" high density foam
40 oz wool blend fiber

Top of innerspring:

3" all natural perforated sri lankan latex
1.5" high density (7) zoned soya foam (2.7 lbs)
2x (1/2" cotton blend)

Coil system:

1118 coil count density (queen)
fabric encased pocket coil system
oven double tempered pocket coil
solo sleep system
motion separation technology
7 turn coil - 13.5 guage dual tempered foam encased side edge guards

Foundation:

high profile semi-flex foundation 3/4" box pad multi-quilted

We got a queen including the box spring for 1300, and have 60 days where we can exchange it for a different mattress (of same price or higher) if we are not happy with it and it comes with a 12 year non pro-rated warranty.

Crossing our fingers that this bed is one we will be happy with. I think I should be having slept on the same bed for 20+ years before this one!

Hi loggedout,

Thanks for sharing the results of your research and a latex / innerspring hybrid is certainly a great choice for those who like the “feel” of latex at a little lower cost than an all latex mattress.

I appreciate your feedback … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, OMG where have you been for the last two months, thank you for the list of stores , I am already planning to visit a few stores tom.Hopefully,I can narrow it down and get your thoughts, I am so ready to buy, I am tired of all the reading , but a necessary deed I get it.Thanks so much.

Hi Mattress,

Good luck in your search and of course if you have any comments or questions along the way feel free to post them on the forum.

Phoenix

Hi and thanks for the great list of GTA retailers / manufacturers.

wondering if anyone has had any interaction with easy rest canada www.easyrestcanada.com

I noticed that they are having a clearance event this weekend - their website doesn’t have all the info but it isn’t far from my office. Just wanted to know if they are a quality operation or one of the fly by the night operators!

Hi Sctubman,

I don’t have any specific information about them but they were incorporated in June 2012 so they are a newer company and their website still seems to be incomplete and their retail store finder isn’t working.

I also don’t see them on the CertiPur list* (the EasyRest they list is in the US) although they say they are using CertiPur certified foams.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Like any mattress I would make sure that you know the quality/density of all the materials in any of their mattresses you are considering.

According to this page … they appear to run a cleaning and sanitizing service which may indicate that they are rebuilding mattresses rather than making new ones so I would find out whether this is the case.

Their logo is very similar to Easyrestinc in Portland which are a CertiPur certified manufacturer that makes some good quality/value memory foam mattresses so it’s quite possible that they are part of the same company but I would be a little cautious here to make sure that all your questions about them and their mattresses are answered to your satisfaction.

Phoenix

Hi Sctbman,

I did a little bit more checking and talked to EasyRest in Portland and they are owned by members of the same family who started up in Canada a little less than two years ago.

They have the same mattresses and get their foam from Health Care Foam in China so they are CertiPur certified and would certainly be worth considering as long as you know the specifics of any of their mattresses you are looking at and they are a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix