Factory Direct Mattresses in the Toronto, ON and GTA area.

Well then…

Back to square 1.

Got it from Amazon so a return would be easy. Not available at Walmart in Canada.

Hi yubbers,

If you purchase a mattress from Amazon then they have a 30 day return policy but for mattresses there is generally a charge involved and any return would need to go through the large items return department because a mattress is too large to ship with a courier once it has decompressed.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a good match for you once you’ve had the chance to try it out so you won’t need to return it.

Phoenix

Hi all, I’m in Toronto and looking for a bare foam latex topper, 1" or 2", for a full sized extra bed. I’m interested in reasonable quality but am most concerned to keep the price down.for this occasionally used bed.

Is there any hope of approximating online prices by purchasing directly in Toronto? Sleeponlatex for example sells the `1"/2" full sized for $120/$200, but shipping is $50 and will probably result in additional duty/brokerage charges.

Can anyone make suggestions or at least narrow the options?

Hi Zephyr,

I don’t know the prices off the top of my head and you would need to check their websites or call them to find out which of them sell latex toppers but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Toronto are listed in post #1 here.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or toppers across Canada are also listed in post #21 here.

Phoenix

I am wondering if there is a supplier in Canada from whom I can order 3 or 6 inch layers of natural dunlop latex and custom build my own mattress…I plan to use my existing memory foam bed outer cover which zips off and is the perfect size to take out the memory foam contents and replace with latex…

Hi johnsazzr,

I would keep in mind that your mattress will contain both memory foam in the upper layers and polyfoam in the deeper layers and you may need to check and make sure that any of the layers in your mattress that you plan to re-use are still in good condition. There is also some good information about “mattress surgery” in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful as well.

If you are planning to remove and replace all the foam layers in your mattress and only re-use the cover and you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or foam layers and components (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex) across Canada are also listed in post #21 here and I also added a few additional options to the list today as well.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or components or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and especially making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists that you are considering is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with or visit anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses or components that would meet your specific criteria, are fully transparent about the materials and components and/or the mattresses that they sell, and that carry the type of mattresses or components that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones (if any) that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

If I partake on this project I will replace all of the foam and use the cover only…I will also try some beds and attempt to replicate the layers within them…thanks!

Hi johnsazzr,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding to do … and of course to any other comments or questions you may have along the way and to any feedback you have the chance to share after you have had the chance to sleep on your DIY mattress as well…

I’ve also switched your posts and my replies to a new topic with a different and more descriptive title because your “project” isn’t specific to buying a mattress in Toronto.

Phoenix

Just wanted to report that after reading this thread, I bought a mattress at Dormio. They were excellent and patient with their service (and I got a 5% discount for mentioning this site). I liked that it is 100% latex and has multiple layers which you can re-configure. They also have wonderful wool and latex pads that I’ll definitely keep in might for future if I want to layer up the luxury. Is is definitely not cheap, though, and I’m skeptical of the whole “organic” thing, which I’m afraid is what I partially paid for, but the quality and thought that go into these mattress from the inside out is undeniable. I was not initially into the whole wool covering thing but more research seems to indicate that the wool/cotton cover should be good at moisture wicking and controlling temperature. We shall see; I’ll report back after a few nights. Can’t wait!

I also had a good experience with Andy and Tonfurniture, I just ended up going with something a little higher end, but I would recommend them to anyone looking to keep the price tag under $1500.

Hi Unstuck,

Congratulations on your new mattress! I see you posted about this in another thread, but I’ll pass along my congratulations again. :cheer:

I look forward to learning about your experience with your new Dormio mattress. As you know, they are a member of the site and I feel they compete with the best in the industry for quality and durability.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Just wanted to update my last post from long ago. Turns out the “pressure point” was actually the result of a new yoga pose I had been doing that overstretched my muscles. It was just coincidence that I started doing that stretch about the same time I got the mattress!

Bottom line: I love my organic latex mattress from Dormio. I am amazed at how it combines a soft feel with great spinal support for me. Thanks for your help!

Hi sangen,

Thank you for the update. I’m glad that you discovered the reason for your issue. It’s a very common occurrence that something we do outside of sleeping is the real culprit of issues when we rise in the morning – not necessarily the mattress. New exercise routines, different work positions, working in the yard, stress…there are too many to mention. I’m glad you were able to deduce the cause and address the issue.

Thanks again for the update.

Phoenix

It’s great to hear that Dormio makes a great mattress. I’m just in the process of deciding on a twin Delight for my son and potentially a King Serene for us but I’m having trouble pulling the trigger. Any advice on the transition between innerspring and latex? Also, does anyone have any experience with shipping times? I’m in BC and hoping to get it faster than the 3-5 week window!

Thanks!
Kyla

Hi kylag,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As you may already know … Dormio is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

You are certainly looking at a good quality/value mattress and as you know latex is also a very durable material so there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

I don’t have any specifics on how to transition from one type of mattress to another, but there will certainly be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system (not just latex) as the foam layers lose any of their “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see three important points in post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress. It can be quite surprising to some people how much their sleeping experience can change over the first few weeks of sleeping on a new mattress and I would tend to give any new mattress about a month for the initial break in.

I would place a phone call to Dormio and see if they offer an expedited service. Many manufacturers will, usually for a fee, offer a program to accelerate your order. I’m unaware if Dormio offers such a program.

I look forward to learning what you decide to do.

Phoenix

We live in Ontario Canada, about 200 miles west of Toronto and like many of your writers, our old King Size Pillow top bed had seen better days and we (particularly my wife) were beginning to not sleep very well. After much research (lots on this website) we decided to go with split king, adjustable base and all natural latex mattresses.

We looked around online but based upon your advice, we decided we should look only at brick and mortar locations where we could actually experience the bed we were looking for and based upon this thread, we found ourselves making the trip to Toronto (three times) and “shopping” at Dormio Organic beds.

Selecting a bed from Dormio is not “shopping” it is an experience and a destination. Their soft and “attentive to your needs” approach is educational and enlightening and at no time did we feel pressured into making any decision whatsoever. During our initial visit we zeroed in on what we thought we wanted (two Lambert Twin XL mattresses (Premium Plus Collection) and two Leggett S-Cape adjustable Twin Beds). Then went home to think about it and returned a week later to confirm, sealed the deal and also ordered some bedding and pillows. Initially we dealt with Steve (who had to take some time off for a new baby (good reason) and then John, the owner and both were truly enjoyable to deal with.

The bed and bases took about two weeks to arrive. Due to our distance from Toronto we decided to pick up and assemble the bed ourselves. John had convinced me that mattress assembly would be simple and due to Dormio’s individual zippered section design, it absolutely was. He also convinced me that the S-Cape bases required very little assembly and this was also true (but they are heavy) – the only thing I can recommend is DO NOT INSTALL THE CASTERS – the bed will be too high and in a King configuration you will not want them moving around anyway. The other thing I am happy to report is that the entire purchase DID fit in our Dodge MiniVan and whoever invented stow-and-go seats, is a genius. We were very apprehensive about this but everything fit, we got it home and with some borrowed muscle (my son) got everything in the house, assembled and then fit the bases within our existing custom king bed frame and then assembled the mattresses sections on top of the bases, ALL WITH NO ISSUES and all within a couple of hours.

So here is the acid test. It is now a little over a month later. We did spend a lot of money (got the mattress underground discount (thank you! )) But WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR PURCHASE. We are getting older, so uninterrupted sleep is seldom but we are definitely more comfortable. The adjustable bed is wonderful when you wake up due to arthritis pain and need to just “doze” in a supported position and it was a “Godsend” helping me sleep elevated, during a terrible cold with bad chest congestion.

Sleeping on Latex is hard to describe. It is both soft and supportive. I am an over-weight, side sleeper, so I was concerned about this but I can happily report that our Latex mattress is providing both the support and conform that I require. Also, some people worry about the split down the middle with a split-king – don’t worry about it, it is not a problem.

So thank you MATTRESSUNDERGROUND and DORMIO ---- GOOD CALL !

Hi lyott:

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, and congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’re happy with your new latex mattress and adjustable bed from Dormio (they are a member here, which means I think highly of them), and I appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback about your product and the assembly process. By the way, be sure to place some furniture leg cups under the legs of your adjustable bed base if you’re not using the wheels, as those legs can sometimes mar wood flooring when used alone.

I wanted to make a brief comment that the way your sentence is worded it sounds like I only recommend buying a mattress at a brick and mortar store, which isn’t the case. There are actually quite a few members of the site here who offer wonderful products online and they’ve helped thousands of people find a great mattress. However, I certainly place a value on the expertise and the experience afforded by a visit to a knowledgeable retailer, and for many people this certainly is the most appropriate way to select a mattress. I’m glad it worked out well for you! :cheer:

Thanks once again for your detailed feedback and I look forward to another follow-up post from you in the future about how your mattress is performing for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix - sorry, I didn’t mean to mis-quote you. But because of the high cost, various configuration options and the impracticality of returning a purchase, I am just highly recommending that people try before they buy.

LYOTT

Hi lyott,

No worries! :wink:

We are certainly in agreement of the benefit of being able to test something in person as an important source of information as part of your data gathering process (as part of your PPP).

There are people who are more flexible in their comfort preferences or more comfortable shopping online, in which case your post also brings up the importance of looking into the exchange, refund or customization options of any mattress you purchase in the unfortunate case that things didn’t turn out as you had hoped.

Thanks!

Phoenix

I live in Vancouver Canada, looking for a latex bed, around/under CAD $2000 range (we get .80 to the US $). Have been searching for weeks and just found this website. Great resource. Hopefully this will help.

Hi Karengriff.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad you find our site helpful.

Just for clarity, I don’t make recommendations for stores unless they are a vetted member here of the site. We have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer-members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground.

Based on your criteria, here is a listing of Canadian and US manufacturers/retailers who are Trusted Members of our site that carry Latex or all Latex mattresses and ship across Canada that you may wish to consider. They are very seasoned in providing good guidance over the phone and fitting their customers with a suitable product in terms of comfort/support needs. Many of their latex mattress options would fit well within your budget range even at the current CE of .8

CBH Wood Furniture Canadian Manufacturer with a European tri slat system bed design with natural latex which is great for proper alignment

DormioCanadian Manufacturer specializing in organic/natural latex mattresses with options that fit all budget ranges.

Memory Foam ComfortCanadian online retailer with a very good selection of latex mattresses and hybrids that would fit your budget range. They used to have their HC in Delta BC but I am not sure if this is still the case.

Sleep Boutique Canadian Manufacturer with a large array of mattress choices latex/ pocket coil, hybrid, springs. They are based in Calgary, Alberta but you can place an order over the phone.

BedmastersUS based manufacturer (free shipping to Canada).

Arizona Premium MattressUS based manufacturer / ( extra shipping charges for Canada).

FloBeds Is a US-based manufacturer that ships worldwide with options that would fit your budget range

Flexus ComfortUS based manufacturer (free shipping to Canada)

Luma SleepUS based retailer with very good options well within your budget range (ships to Canada at an extra $50).

Luxi SleepUS based retailer with customer paid shipping to Canada

My Green MattressUS based manufacturer, ships to Canada.

Nest Bedding US-based manufacturer (free shipping to Canada).

Sleep EZUS based manufacturer, may charge extra for Canada shipping

Sleep On LatexUS based manufacturer, ships to Canada).

I don’t keep a record of all retailers and manufacturers as this would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market), but If you wish to find some showrooms that you can visit locally, you can always perform a forum search and you can type in the key term any city or area you would be closer to such as Vancouver, Canada (or other towns) or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you. I would make sure that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also confirm that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here. If you have any questions about specifications or certain products, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Good luck! ….and once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members we’ll be happy to assist you.

Phoenix