Factory Direct Mattresses in the Toronto, ON and GTA area.

I just wanted to thank you for putting together this information about Toronto mattress stores/manufacturers and helping me make a more informed consumer choice. In my case, my goal wasn’t to get the best possible A++ mattress but to simply get a decent B+ mattress I could afford. For reference I’m a 120lbs side and stomach sleeper (mostly side). I went into this only knowing two things: I hate memory foam and I don’t like pocket coils. So that led me in the latex and polyfoam direction.

I looked a lot of forum posts on here and ended up checking out two places: Ton Furniture and Springmade (sorry Dormio… I just couldn’t afford it). After meeting with both I was confident I would end up with a decent mattress from either and that Springmade would let me really perfect the layers, but I went with Ton Furniture because the timing would work out better.

I ended up ordering the Dreamstar Omega Latex mattress. The comfort layers are 2" talalay latex with 1" of 1.9lb polyfoam underneath, and the core is 2.1lbs polyfoam I think. I’m getting the quilting customized because it was pillowy and I prefer a flatter surface.

The mattress felt great from a PPP perspective and just as importantly, I feel like I have at least SOME sense of what I’m actually buying instead of it being a total shot in the dark.

Hey pngm1,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Thanks for the your kind words on the site, pngm1 :slight_smile: ! I am happy that you’ve found these resources useful in your mattress shopping research. Good work on narrowing down the focus to specific materials that you have a definite preference for. You have set a budget, determined your preferences, and identified materials: you are ready for action!

[quote]I looked a lot of forum posts on here and ended up checking out two places: Ton Furniture and Springmade (sorry Dormio… I just couldn’t afford it). After meeting with both I was confident I would end up with a decent mattress from either and that Springmade would let me really perfect the layers, but I went with Ton Furniture because the timing would work out better.
[/quote]

Happy to learn that you have access to COVID-safe showrooms in your area and that you feel confident on making a purchase from either of your two resources. From your positive tone, I trust that you found both Ton Furniture and Springmade to be equally transparent and reliable? Are you good with their exchange/ return policies and product warranty?

Congrats on your new Dreamstar Omega Latex mattress purchase :slight_smile: ! Thanks for including the product specs, this seems to be a solid choice in terms of polyfoam grade. Generally speaking, in a one-sided mattress construction, a 1.8 lb density for a comfort layer is a recommended minimum grade in terms of durability, and a 2 lb + range is suitable for a polyfoam support core. Pretty cool that they offered a customized quilting cover for your lower profile surface preference, pngm1; that’s a nice touch of personalization.

This is great news that all of your boxes have been checked off and congrats on a successful mattress shopping journey! Keep us updated on your experience after an initial sleep adjustment period of 30 days or so as we will be interested to hear your thoughts on performance.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Sensei! I have an unexpected update and a question - it turns out that TON has a latex shortage and couldn’t customize the top of my mattress after all, so I’m reconsidering Springmade. Springmade suggested 2" Talalay (ILD 35), followed by a 3" transition layer of medium density polyfoam (which they define as 1.8lbs to 2lbs) and then a high density polyfoam core (2.5lbs). I think I mentioned this upthread but I’m a petite, bony person with a low to average BMI and I usually fall asleep on my stomach or side but spend most of the night on my side. What do you think?

Hey pngm1,

Thanks for your update and new question :slight_smile: .

Bummer on the latex shortage that Ton furniture is experiencing but they are far from being alone on that as current latex supply chains (and many others across all industries) are experiencing materials shortages and manufacturing delays globally. I am happy to hear that Springmade is in a position to service you. Your earlier post didn’t say what firmness Talalay you were considering with Ton’s mattress so I’m guessing it was a firmer one such as this 35 ILD comfort layer? My one concern would be that the mattress may be a bit too firm for your side sleeping preference. You are describing a firm feeling mattress and whether the comfort and support would suit your petite body profile is something best decided by you. Does Springmade have a comparable floor model that you can try? What mattress are you currently using? How old is it and what size? Looking forward to learning more about your preferences and thanks :wink: .

Sensei

Hi pngm1, I bought a mattress from Springmade (Joe) in February 2020. I wrote a review. I am so happy with my purchase and sleeping peacefully, like a baby as a back/side sleeper. For context, I’m 5’4, 140 lbs. Their showroom is practically non-existent as you know. He built it for me to try first and no obligation. He adjusted it after I tried it in the showroom as it was too hard in the core. He also customized with with just an organic cotton cover, no quilting. I found that after a few weeks of sleeping, it was too soft and he took it back and adjusted with the quilted cover and slightly harder latex top layer. No extra charge, but that was also pre-COVID, not sure if their approach/policy has changed. Good luck.

Well, it’s been 1 1/2 years and our bed is great. The mattress (king size) did have an odour for a few days. The firmness is good for us. But in all honesty- one of my favourite things is that if my husband moves around it no longer wakes me up. With our traditional mattress we were always awoken if the other got in or out of bed, moved, sat up …etc.

With regards to rolling- away from the centre- we have not had any of that.

Again, I appreciate all the information and guidance received from The Mattress Underground - we are sleeping so much better!!

Sensei, I do need help with another mattress. And it’s complicated. We are looking for a mattress for our 11 yo son who is about 5’1" and 95 lbs (and growing!). He has autism and can’t effectively communicate his mattress preferences - so we are going based to the available information. He is tall and lean with a low bmi. We need a coil free mattress that will be directly on the floor and is able to sustain his jumping. We have a trampoline/rebounder we redirect him to - but sometimes he starts jumping before we get to him. He has broken 2 beds - so it’s safer to keep the mattress on the floor.

We think something with a latex component would be best suited because of his allergies.

Look forward to any advice to help us get him the right double mattress.

[quote=“IPie2 post=88511”]Well, it’s been 1 1/2 years and our bed is great. The mattress (king size) did have an odour for a few days. The firmness is good for us. But in all honesty- one of my favourite things is that if my husband moves around it no longer wakes me up. With our traditional mattress we were always awoken if the other got in or out of bed, moved, sat up …etc.

With regards to rolling- away from the centre- we have not had any of that.

Again, I appreciate all the information and guidance received from The Mattress Underground - we are sleeping so much better!!
.[/quote]

I forgot to include the mattress company. We purchased from Swiss Dreams.

Hey Pie2,

Hey Pie2,

Welcome back to the forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your update and question.

Great to hear that you both enjoy your 1 1/2 year old mattress purchase from trusted member CBH Wood Furniture :slight_smile: ! The Balancer - Das Original system offers a unique design, providing not only a flippable mattress for dual comfort but also an adjustable support system. Good to learn also that you find its motion isolation properties to be superior to your former traditional mattress.

Excellent! Thanks for those kind words of support! We are happy to know that TMU’s resources served you well during your research process :wink: .

You are right to be cognizant of your son’s future growth needs, as he could easily grow another 10" over the next ten years as well as have a comparable weight increase. It’s a perfect time to find a mattress that is both durable and supportive enough to see him through his upcoming teen years. One idea to consider is a mattress with a separate/ exchangeable comfort layer that could be updated periodically as needed while he moves through the “jumping” phase of his younger years. That would be less expensive to replace than an entire mattress.

Latex is a good idea and a highly durable material. Just curious: what allergies does he have?

Again, thanks for your purchase from CBH Wood Furniture and for your support of our trusted member program :slight_smile: .This list of fine, Canada-based trusted members can help you with your youth mattress questions, you are welcome to contact them via TMU for their thoughts:

Dormio Organic Beds

MFC/ Memory FoamComfort

Restmore Bedding

Hope this helps to get you started and looking forward to updates on your son’s mattress research… :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

I thought I would highlight a couple of my purchases recently. Purchased 2 mattresses in the last 4 months. One king for my wife and I from MFC (in August) and one double for my teenage son from TON Furniture (arrived today).

If not for this site, I would not have found either and would probably have been back to Sleep Country or National Mattress.

MFC – Very easy transaction. I didn’t want the “free pillows” so Mario removed them from the transaction. Went with a customized presto latex in king - firm layers with a top layer of medium. I am a stomach sleeper and need something really firm or my back gets sore. Chose the Tencel cover since I have a love/hate relationship with the wool topper that I have and didn’t want a layer of quilted wool. Mattress is great so far. My only regret is that I chose to have it shipped in layers instead of assembled. I thought it would be easier for me to carry each layer than the mattress as a whole. It was easy to carry each layer but the mattress was difficult to assemble and shoving each layer into the Tencel cover was also difficult. The real test will be how well it holds up on my wife’s side as she sits on the bed a lot to watch tv, use her tablet, etc.

TON – Also a very easy transaction. Sent a note on their website asking a few questions. Replied back through email and suggested coming into the showroom to look at the models. Took my son into the showroom and he tried a few of them. One of the mattresses we wanted to see was not in the showroom and is not one sold on the TON site but he took us to the Dreamstar factory floor to look at it. Pretty neat seeing where the mattresses are made. My son ended up liking the Dreamstar Omega mattress best but I worried the quilting on top was too thick and soft. I also didn’t understand the point of having so much quilting on top of a layer of latex. Like another person posted above, TON offered to have Dreamstar make it with the firmer/thinner quilting and we did that. Mattress was just delivered today just over a week after ordering it – Omega Latex mattress customized with a firmer quilting. My only regret with this one is that I spent a bit more on my son’s mattress than I originally wanted. I could have steered him to a cheaper model but in the end figured the extra couple of hundred $$$ was not a big deal. One final comment – not that it matters, but Its not clear if TON is a separate authorized Dreamstar dealer or what the exact relationship is between the two.

So thanks again to the forum for highlighting some of the manufacturers and other options out there.

HI everybody,

I need some help from you mattress experts. I’ve been following this website for years but everytime I dive deep into the research I end up giving up because of how overwhelming everything is. I am literally looking for someone to give me some recommendations so I can either a.) go out and try them or b.) order and try them (if they have a decent return policy)

However, I have done alot of reading and trying to understand what everything means, but like I said it just becomes too overwhelming.

We are looking for a King size mattress. My wife and I are both side sleepers (but sometimes back). I have horrible posture and every bed I sleep on gives me hip pain, low back pain, neck pain etc. I’ve tried endy/casper/silk and snow. Right now we sleep on an cheap amazon memory foam mattress. It hurts my hips, my wife thinks its fine.

I also wake her up everytime I turn around.

Can anyone recommend a few mattress brands that might be worth going for? Budget is not a concern. I want to pay for luxurious sleep!

Hi blackmamba08.

Based on the name of this thread :slight_smile: I’m going to assume you’re in the ON/GTA area? Is that correct?

Are there certain types of mattresses that cause more/worse pain or that are more comfortable? Would you be comfortable sharing your height/weight?

NikkiTMU

I’ve only ever tried memory foam mattresses , after doing research I think I will stick with memory foam (could be convinced to try latex)

I am 6’5" and weigh 190lbs. My wife is 5" 10 and weighs 120

Hi blackmamba08.

As both you and your wife are tall but thin, it presents a challenge common to many lightweight sleepers. Being on the light side of a normal BMI … depending on the thickness of the comfort layer(s) above your coil you could do well with either the medium or medium-firm comfort layer. Thicker mattresses can use firmer materials because thickness and softness are very related and work together.

Thickness and softness work together and because thicker layers (or mattresses) can have a greater range of compression and are more “adaptable” … it’s also possible to use firmer top layers in a thicker mattress and still have good pressure relief because of the greater range of compression of the thicker mattress that can create a mattress with a firmer “surface feel” but that still provides good pressure relief and adapts well to the body contours.

Our Trusted Member GhostBed has a Canadian market and offers memory foam products and I think you may find their mattresses interesting. Based on their side by side comparisons, the Luxe seems like it might be a good fit for your needs AND has the added benefit of reduce motion transfer, which might appeal to your wife in regards to your tossing and turning :slight_smile:

Pain on a mattress can occur for a number of reasons, but without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure. Based on what you’ve described, it sounds like you’ve had trouble choosing a mattress that allows/offers for that proper comfort layer. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". My gut is telling me you’re closer to 4".

I hope this helps in some regard. Please do let me know if any additional questions arise!
NikkiTMU

Thank you so much!

I do have a question and a favor to ask.

1.) From my research it seems a softer mattress might be better for pain and pressure points? However, you say we would need a medium, medium firm mattress. Ive had medium for every mattress so far. Which should I go for now?

2.) Can you do a quick comparison between the ghostbed luxe, helix midnight luxe, and helix sunset luxe? Ive already checked out all 3 but wanted the eyes of someone who knows their stuff

Thanks!

Hi blackmamba08.

Your own testing and experiences are always the best option to rely on when deciding whether to go firmer or softer. If you’ve previously slept on medium mattresses that have been too firm, then going plush or medium-plush is the correct direction. The GhostBed Luxe is a medium plush, for reference :slight_smile:

From “softest to firmest” the options would be
Sunset Luxe (plush)
GhostBed Luxe (medium plush)
Midnight Luxe (medium)

The Sunset and Midnight both have 3" of comfort layer foam, the GhostBed has 4" - all three are recommended for side sleeping.

I hope this helps give a little more information and insight into your search!
NikkiTMU