Feedback on First DIY Build

I’ve spent a great deal of time researching mattresses both here and on r/mattress, and have decided to go the DIY route for a king-sized mattress… Hoping to get any thoughts/feedback as this will be my first attempt.

For starters, I’m 5’8" and 210 lbs, and wife is 5’8" and 170. Both mostly side sleepers and occasional back sleepers. I’ve experienced some back and shoulder pain from our 4 year old Sleepy’s Relax mattress (lots of sagging at this point and was never high quality by any means). Anyways, we went around to a few different mattress shops in town and both really enjoyed the Urban Mattress The Highland Mattress in Firm. However, we were not really hoping to spend $2500 on a mattress (it also felt particularly steep for this mattress from what I have read), so I started trying to find something similar pre-built but ultimately decided to DIY and see if I could come close enough. Here’s a quick breakdown of The Highland vs. my planned DIY.

The Highland Mattress layers:

• Support Layer: 6 inch 14.5 gauge pocketed coil with firm edge
  • Comfort Layer: 2 layers of 1.5 inch Certi-pur 3 lb HR Cold foam
  • Cover: Stretch-knit fiber

My DIY:

I know there are some notable differences, namely:

• combining a latex and foam comfort layer
  • slightly different pocket coils
  • adding 1" to the comfort layer

I’ll call out that we did not really love the feel of latex as a top layer but I was thinking it would be nice to have under a layer of foam. Planning to purchase soon but wanted to see if there was any additional feedback here first (particularly around comfort levels or if this could potentially be too firm). Thanks!

I have no experience with DIY….so I cant help you there.

You might consider just getting the bed you you liked for $2500. Its not that expensive. Might not be worth all the hassle to save $1000 plus your DIY may not even replicate your target mattress very well.

With that said…it is fun to tinker!

My dream mattress is the King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook Firm and that is $5600. I was thinking of going DIY….but may just buy the KK to save time plus I love the 100% talalay latex feel.

John

1 Like

Hi lacy11040 and welcome to the Mattress Unddrground :slight_smile:

decided to go the DIY route for a king-sized mattress… Hoping to get any thoughts/feedback as this will be my first attempt.

Great! Do It Yourself builds can provide the customized comfort and support, but not for the feint of heart! It can take a while to drill down to the ideal feel for you…but if you have the patience, it’s a good plan.

I’ve experienced some back and shoulder pain from our 4 year old Sleepy’s Relax mattress

Anyways, we went around to a few different mattress shops in town and both really enjoyed the Urban Mattress The Highland Mattress 1 in Firm. However, we were not really hoping to spend $2500 on a mattress (it also felt particularly steep for this mattress from what I have read), so I started trying to find something similar pre-built but ultimately decided to DIY

Not surprising the Sleepy’s Relax is no longer working out, as they disclose no infirmation at all about the type of foam, thickness or density of the comfort layer; this in many cases can indicate an excess amount of inexpensive, low density foam which can prematurely break down, sagging and causing ‘ridges’ and ‘dips’ which can cause discomfort as even alignment issues. Keep in mind the build you go with with be unique to you both, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those - and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personak preferences). The Urban Highland mattress, with 2 HR foam layers totalling 3" seems sound but agreed the price point is a bit high.

You can compare the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how different materials hold up over time. For foam, we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support; you may want to consider a denser foam than what you propose in your DIY build for increased durability and support.

My DIY:

Your build looks good so far; though for larger sleepers a lower 12-13 gauge coil may provide better support, 6" instead of 8" coils is a good choice. The bamboo cotton cover will provide breathability as well as a FR layer, and the 28 ILD Talalay latex is a good medium firmness. Do keep in mind if the top comfort layer is too soft, you may sink in too far, bottoming out on the latex layer and innerspring support, so it’s important to make sure the foam layer is of good density. there is a bit of a red flag with this layer 2" Medium-Firm, Temperature Responsive Foam Topper (3 lb/ft3 , 18 IFD) and for higher BMI’s this will wear out the fastest. But it’s good you are doing DIY - as that layer can be changed when it starts giving signs of fatigue.

A number of the Trusted Members of the site specialize in DIY components which you want want to take a look at, like APM, SleepEZ DIY Mattress DIY Natural Bedding, Latex Mattress Factory, Luma Sleep and The Mattress Factory, among others, carry components and customized sleep systems, and have a lot of experience in helping guide consumers to their ideal sleep solutions, using quality materials, full transparency in construction and components, and generous return and exchange policies. Hopefully our local DIY afficionados can also weigh in with their thoughts. Hoping you find a great sleep system that will last for many years!

~ Basilio

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I ended up ordering everything earlier today, and your response gives me increased confidence that I made some good choices with the initial build. And of course I can adjust as needed too. :+1:

lacy11040,

Great! Glad to help you feel more confident in your choice. Let us know your experience once you’ve had some time with it!

~ Basilio

Will do!

One quick question…can I use my mattress without the zip cover? Realized everything besides that comes Monday and I am a little antsy to try it. I’ve got a waterproof cover I can pop on top in the meantime but not sure if there’s anything else I should consider.

You can…the zipped cover just keeps all the components together, you should be able to use the waterproof cover in the meantime to a start breaking it in. Keep us posted on your progress!

~ Basilio

1 Like

I wanted to start out by stating I contemplated building my own mattress for almost 2 years. I have been adding Latex toppers to previous purchased mattresses over the years and found they helped but were not the solution for adding layers on top of existing degraded foam. I have always bought premium mattresses and price was of little concern over comfort. The problem is all the foam used by mattress manufacturers start slowly breaking down month after month. Even dual sided flippable mattresses become really uncomfortable after 3-7 years. I’m a side sleeper for the most part, and occasionally sleep on my back. I’m 62 year old male 6-foot 240 lbs. and have been in construction since I was 17 years old. Wife is 5’5" and probably 150 lbs.

I finally pulled the trigger on the last day of March (2023) and purchased my components at Arizona Premium Mattress. I purchased the following for our king sized build:

Two (2) - Size = TwinXL, All Natural Talalay Latex Core (6-inch thick) Firmness ILD = #35-39
One (1) - Size = King, All Natural Talalay Latex Topper (3-inch thick) Firmness = Firm
One (1) - Size = King, All Natural Talalay Latex Topper (3-inch thick) Firmness = Medium
One (1) - Size = King, King Bamboo - Wool Zippered Mattress Cover Depth = 12"

My wife and I put it together in about 35 minutes and placed/built it upon the top of existing box spring set (approximately 5 years old). I have to say I am completely thrilled with this purchase and setup. I had originally contemplated utilizing a Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt but decided to simply go with the latex core. I have no idea how this would have affected the finished product, but I am so happy with this setup. I have had the best nights sleep in the past week than I have had in at least 2 decades, as I always had pressure point problems on my hips that would cause me to roll from right side, to back, to left side several times during the night. This problem has been completely alleviated.

Would I do anything different? I don’t believe so, and I am sure this build will last and be comfortable for years to come – when the time comes should I need to, I will simply unzip and replace the top 3-inch topper for a very reasonable cost.

I would at least give Ken a call and check out their products.