Feeling unsure

I have read through countless pages of information (thank you!) but in actuality it makes me even more nervous to actually purchase anything. We have looked at two stores so far (Metro Mattress and Jamestown Mattress). We went to Jamestown solely based on the feedback from this site.

We have found that we really liked the Sealy Trust Hybrid mattress at Metro. At Jamestown we liked a very similar bed called the Ultra Supreme. We are also considering the Pillow Rest Euro Top at Jamestown as well. My biggest concern with the hybrid choices are the risk of breakdown and sagging. I’m looking for advice on which of these three beds you would most highly recommend and what your opinion of the hybrid beds and memory foam breakdown are.

Thanks so much!!

Hi Gunshy,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (which has a longer and a shorter version) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and more importantly help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brand mattresses like Sealy or any mattress that has too much lower quality or unknown materials inside it).

While there is a great deal of information in the tutorial … two of the most important links are post #2 here about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (either locally or online) that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them and post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and the most reliable way to know which of your choices are the most suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your personal experience on a mattress.

Outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) and without knowing the specifics of all the layers and components in a mattress (see this page) it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials or the mattress as a whole or identify any potential weak links in a mattress.

If you can find out the specifics of the materials and components of any of the mattresses you are considering then you can either compare them to the guidelines here or if you post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials inside it.

Phoenix

Here’s what I know:

Sealy Trust
ForeverFlex™ Cover - 2" Waterfall
1" OptiCool™ gel memory foam
Advanced CoreSupport™ Center
2" ActiveFlex™ poly foam
7 ½" Apex HS™ encased coil
1" FlexSupport™ poly foam base

Mattress Height: 11 1/2"

Jamestown Ultra Supreme
Quilt - Top of Mattress
Paladin® Fire Retardant Barrier
2" Plush Polyurethane Foam
Stretch Circular Knit Fabric
Comfort - Padding Layer

2" – 3 lb. Memory Foam
1" Polyurethane Foam in the Euro Top
2" – 4 lb. Gel Infused Memory Foam in the Euro Top
Back Support System
Coil Unit: Symetrics® 660 Offset Technology
Coil Gauge 14 ½
Metal Edge Support on Sides
Limits Motion Transfer
Coil Count: King: 1015

Jamestown Pillow Rest Euro Top
Quilt - Top of Mattress
Paladin® Fire Retardant Barrier
Polyester Fiber
1" Plush Polyurethane Foam
Stretch Circular Knit Fabric
Comfort - Padding Layer

Thick Polyester Pad
Âľ" Convoluted Polyurethane Foam
2" Plush Polyurethane Foam in the Euro Top
Back Support System
Coil Unit: Symetrics® 528 Offset Technology
Coil Gauge 14 ½
Limits Motion Transfer
High Density Polyurethane Foam Encasement
Foam Encasement Coil Count: King: 696

Hi Gunshy,

Unfortunately the specs you listed are incomplete and don’t include all the information that you would need to know to make any meaningful assessments about the quality and durability of all the materials in the mattresses or identify any potential weak links (or for me to make any meaningful comments about them). This page includes the information you would need to know and if you can find out and list the complete specs on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials in any of the mattresses you are considering or help you identify any potential weak links in any of them.

With the Jamestown Ultra Supreme I would be very cautious about any mattress that uses more than about an inch or so of memory foam that is less than 3 lb density (see the foam quality/density guidelines here)

Phoenix