Final Latex Mattress Configuration Decision

I am looking for a little guidance on the last decision I am trying to make before purchasing a custom made latex bed. After being pressure mapped and trying a few configurations out, I have come down to two options, both virtually identical except for configuration:

1.A 6" 40 ILD base with a 3" 30/40/30 ILD sectioned comfort layer (the top layer is one continuous piece). Each layer is wrapped in a canvas sleeve, stacked and then wrapped again in the outer casing.

2.A 3" 40 ILD followed by another 3" 40 ILD followed by a 3" 30/40/30 ILD sectioned comfort layer (each third remain as separate pieces before being wrapped in the canvas sleeve). Each layer is wrapped in a canvas sleeve, stacked and then wrapped again in the outer casing.

The only two differences are splitting the 6" base into two 3" sections and not having the three sections of foam on the top comfort layer as a continuous piece.

As far as I can tell the only benefits to this construction is ease of portability, the countless flip/spin/rotate options, and the possibility to replace more individual pieces. I wonder if this construction is needlessly complex and would it really provide any benefit to me? I worry about too many loose pieces floating around in the bed, especially with the top comfort layer not being one piece. Also, does this really provide any benefit when it comes time to replace worn pieces of latex? Any input from anyone else’s experience or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi shift_47_

All things being equal, I’d select the more modular approach. My reason would be because should you need to do any changes for comfort reasons that it’s easier to change an individual 3" layer. Assuming the mattress zip cover is appropriately sized, the pieces won’t really move around.

I’d you are really concerned about the top layer, you could probably ask the mattress maker for the single piece comfort layer of option 1 with the 2x 3" support layers of option 2.

I’m assuming, in addition to being pressure mapped you’ve evaluated the mattress for PPP yourself using Phoenix’s wonderful tutorial.
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first

A 30/40/30 comfort layer is a bit firmer…it could absolutely be suitable for you, so if it feels good and accomplishes PPP then all is good. PPP gives you a second means in addition to pressure mapping to evaluate the mattress suitability.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi shift_47_

I can add a few comments to dn’s helpful comments as well …

I’m assuming that the ILD’s you’ve been quoted are accurate because the differential in the zones is more than you would usually find.

I’m also assuming that the covers of both mattresses are the same because the cover and quilting will also have a significant effect on the feel and performance of a mattress.

You can see a few thoughts about covered layers vs uncovered layers in post #2 here.

You can also read more about individual layers vs glued layers (or single layers) in post #2 here and like dn, with a mattress that has a zip cover I would consider individual layers to be an advantage because of the ability to exchange them with a layer that is a different firmness level if that becomes necessary or to be able to replace them without having to replace the entire mattress.

If you have individual “pieces” in the top layer I would also make sure that you have a quilted cover so that you won’t feel the split between the individual pieces or zones (or have tested them to make sure you don’t).

Phoenix

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will split the base but keep the comfort layers as one slab. This way if I want to adjust the base I can do it a little easier. I read your response on individual covered layers which was interesting. This store does do this but it is a zippered enclosure for each piece so I wouldn’t be worried about hiding sub par materials. When I asked about shifting around it was probably because the bed I was on had a loose cover. Apparently they take the cover after a month or so and fit it again. Is this normal practice?

Hi shift_47_

I’m not quite surer what you mean by “fitting it again”?

Most mattresses with individual layers have a tight fitting cover and if it is a floor model they would probably be re-arranging layers for different customers on a fairly regular basis anyway.

Having the layers covered (even with a zip cover) can also help prevent damage if you are handling the layers because latex can rip fairly easily if you grab it and pull.

Phoenix