Finalize Base Layer in DIY Latex

hey there

posted in another thread but they suggested reaching out to the suppliers directly

210lb, side/back sleeper (mostly side i think? but some back)

degenerative disc disease, so it’s a fine line between too firm and too soft

currently have:

3" 28ILD blended talalay from you
3" 34ILD dunlop from SOL
3" XILD dunlop from ?

trying to nail down my final layer

i feel like the 44ILD dunlop from SOL is potentially too firm, seems like such a massive jump from 34 to 44?
you have a 34-38ILD dunlop, but does it trend closer to 38? because if so, i think i’d lean that direction
if you lean more towards the 34, i suppose i might just be better off double up on the 34ILD from SOL for consistency, but then my fear is that its going to be TOO soft as a base layer?

just trying to get it nailed in, and without obviously being able to try stuff in store, my only hope is to rely on your knowledge, so thanks very much for you help on this matter!

I don’t have sophisticated testing equipment here so I would have no way of knowing which way one topper trends from another. I only know the each section of the topper will be between 34 and 38 ILD. Either way I think it would help your situation. I know I could not sleep on something 44 ILD.

yeah no that’s fair, do you think 6" of Dunlop 34ild (one being your ranged layer) with 28ild talalay would be a gpd fit my weight as a side sleeper

no idea why I can’t edit

further clarity on the talalay

*with 3" of 28ild talalay as the top layer

Personally, I think that our Firm would provide a good solid base layer and would be the best choice. That being said, I also don’t think that using another 34 ILD layer at the bottom would necessarily make the mattress too soft. Keep in mind that you will have 6" of foam sitting on top of it. The top layers will have a much larger impact than the bottom layers. You are not really looking for comfort from this layer, just support.

As a side note… We always try to recommend against comparing ILD Ratings of different companies, especially when working with small differences. ILD Ratings are a good way to get a general sense of firmness and compare firmness selections of a single company but I think people have the tendency to think that ILD Ratings are super scientific. I wish they were but they are not. Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for how ILD Ratings are measured (in terms of foam height and indentation %) We do our own measurements using ASTM D3574-17 Test B1 at a height of 4". We list both 25% ILD and 40% ILD measurements for all of our. toppers.

I hope this is helpful!

Based on your info I do think that would be a great option.

[quote=“Arizona Premium post=89242”]Based on your info I do think that would be a great option.
[/quote]

thanks for your help!

My pleasure