fine tuning comfort layer

Hi,

I am a 5’11, 170lb, male side sleeper. I have a zoned pocket coil base under 3 inch layer of medium talalay and then a 3 inch layer of soft talalay on top. I have some lower back pain so I think it may be too soft. I’m thinking of switching out one of the 3 inch layers for 2 inches. Which one would firm it up a bit, a 2 inch soft layer or 2 inch medium layer? I like the soft on top because it allows me to sink in a bit whereas the medium does not.

I tried just the medium layer and that was too firm and i tried just the soft layer and that was too soft, I sunk into the coils.

I also tried a 1 inch soft layer over the 3 inch medium layer. This was the best configuration i tried so far, but it was just a bit too firm so I returned the 1 inch soft layer. The inch layer was so thin i don’t think I would try another 1 inch layer.

I really just don’t know what to try anymore and am getting frustrated.

An suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Given all the details of combinations you’ve tried and your preferences so far, I’d suggest trying a combo of 2" soft on top of 2" medium over the coils. Just a hunch and everyone has unique preferences, but I think that would be the most logical next step.

Thank you, I will give that a try

Hello MNN4532

Thank you kindly for your inquiry. I apologize for the delayed response. Anytime you down-size from a 3" layer to a 2" layer, you will always get a more supportive feel due to the fact that you are an inch closer to your support base (in this case your coils). With this in mind, if your 3" soft by itself was still a bit too soft over your coils, then the 2" soft by itself should be what you are looking for. The 2" soft should be enough to provide the immediate contour you will need over your springs without sinking in too much. If this does not work, then I agree that you should try the 2" soft over the 2" medium.
I am curious to know what the ILD ratings are for the Talalay soft and Talalay medium? If one is too soft or too firm, and you have the option to exchange for a slightly lower or higher ILD, swapping it for a different density just might be a solution as well. For example, if your soft is a 16ILD and is too soft, then maybe exchanging it for a 19 to 20ILD is the answer.

Please let us know how everything works out. Thank you for sharing, and good luck!

With just a 2 inch soft over the coils I think the overall feel will be too firm because I sink right through to the coils. That was the problem with the just the 3 inch soft over the coils.

The soft is 19ild, the medium is 28ild.

MNN

Please let us know if you have tried the 2" soft over the 2" medium over the coils, and how it is going for you. Thank you in advance for keeping us posted!

I have been sleeping on the 2 inch soft 19ild over the 2 inch medium 28ild over the coils for about a week now. I have had some lower back pain, it feels like my lower back isn’t being supported enough. I will probably give it some more time before I try anything else, not sure where else to go from here though.

Would a soft layer of Dunlop help instead of Talalay since it is a bit firmer.