Fine-tuning Our SleepEZ 10000

Hi LEW,

This makes perfect sense to me and it’s impressive that you’ve come to recognize this. Relationship between body mass in each area of the body, the surface area of that part of the body (which changes as you sink in deeper), and the shape of that part of the body (not to mention each person’s sensitivity to alignment and pressure issues) is extremely variable with each person and is a big part of why there is no formula that can truly predict how well each person will react to a specific type of mattress. I have talked about this in quite a number of posts including here and here and here as well as in much more technical detail here.

There is also a further complication which is that the hips/pelvis are generally narrower than the shoulders so if you imagine floating in the air in perfect alignment in a side sleeping position and sinking down then the shoulders will come into contact with the mattress first and need to sink in to some degree before the hips will even contact the mattress surface. You can read more about this here.

It can often be surprising how certain combinations work for different people. The 30 ILD would be in the range of medium vs soft but once again surface area, body shape, and individual sensitivities … and mattress and layer thickness … can play a big role. I would also suggest spending at least 15 minutes … after you are fully relaxed … testing all your normal sleeping positions when you are testing a mattress. The closer you can simulate the pre-sleep state when your muscles have let go the more you will be able to detect the more subtle cues that come from the mattress and from your body.

Mattress thickness can play a significant role in the softness and response of a mattress. Thicker layers have a greater range of compression and become firmer more slowly than thinner mattresses. Thicker mattresses can also “get away” with firmer layering because thickness and softness work hand in hand. You can read more about this in post #14 here. Of course mattresses that use thicker layers of more expensive materials are also more costly. I would also trust your “feel” over numbers but it’s also nice to know that what you are feeling has a basis behind it :slight_smile:

I would always trust your actual experiences over any “theory” for all the reasons that we’ve talked about in this post. There are certainly benefits to a layered approach that can be exchanged though but it all depends on your level of confidence in the suitability of what you are buying. Your testing experiences will certainly be valuable in any discussions about your choices. I tend to speak to quality and value and leave the design and layering options to more detailed conversations between you and each manufacturer but all the online options you are considering are good ones from a quality/value perspective and the choice between them would be based on your own personal value equation and the importance of the different features, benefits, and options that each offers before, during, and after the sale.

This is a very good suggestion (thanks Sleepy1 :)). they also have 9 and 12" versions that can “approximate” the layering at Sleep Nation and at SleepEz.

Are you sure that the shoulder area is firmer (my understanding is that its softer)? I know from my conversations with Shawn that he is a big believer in the value of non zoned latex which works to adapt to different body shapes with it’s natural compression modulus (support factor) rather than different zones. In most cases … zoned latex has a rather small differential between the zones anyway which may be less than the natural variations in the latex itself … especially with Dunlop latex. In other cases the zones can even be counter productive if the difference in soft and firm is in the wrong areas. I personally prefer 2 or 3 zone approaches except in more unusual cases where “reverse zoning” (zoning that “allows” the hips/pelvis and increases firmness under the lumbar curve rather than stops them) may be appropriate.

I’ve linked lots of information here but I would focus on careful testing to establish the design that is best for you rather than theory because you body will “bypass” all the theory if you allow it to completely relax, wear thin and “non interfering” loose clothing, spend enough time on each mattress, and “listen” very carefully to the more subtle messages you get from your body.

Phoenix