Firm Innerspring Full Mattress for under $400 possible?

When I go visit a family member, I sleep on a $300 (full size set) bargain basement department store “S” brand mattress that was purchased 15 years ago but only has about 3 years of total use on it by me. Despite flipping it (which you can no longer do on current spring mattresses) it is quite hard to where you can feel the springs and a 2" mattress topper doesn’t really help (it alleviates the spring feeling, but feels like a pillow-top where you sink in).

My main mattress is a Tempur-Pedic that I’ve had for about 10 years feels excellent as it provides firmness with comfort. After spending a couple days mattress shopping. I’m astonished at how expensive a firm inner spring mattress with good support costs–minimum $700 full mattress only. The shopping experience isn’t that pleasant either. The $300 special of 15 years ago has been replaced by mattresses where you sink in immediately and receive no support. I can’t justify spending $700 for a mattress that will only get 3 months us use each year with a gamble on longevity. $400 is my max.

Costco’s Sealy Kingman $400 full mattress set doesn’t seem that firm to me when I feel it with my hands. I visited a couple stores that sold name brand mattresses with no box springs, and you could only try the mattress by placing it on the floor, which might be deceptive in determining firmness vs using a traditional box spring.

What are your suggestions for a firm seasonal use innerspring mattress under $400? Not interested in foam mattress since there is no platform bed where I’m located and don’t want to sink anymore $$ into something that gets little use. I know it’s not wise to go to a car dealership and tell the salesperson how much you want to spend, but is it different for a mattress?

The $300 door-buster sets of the late 1990s felt really firm in the showroom. Now these same sets feel like a trampoline. Hidden inflation?

Hi Rohrgatz,

You should still be able to find a mattress that fits your criteria for under $400 (you can see an example here) although of course in your budget range you won’t find the highest quality materials or components (it will range from junk to reasonable depending on where you go).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of iin your area where you may be able to find something similar.

I would avoid the major brands (see the guidelines here and the information in the mattress shopping tutorial here).

A box spring (with springs inside it that actually flex) will change the feel of a mattress and it will feel softer compared to having the same mattress on a non flexing surface such as the floor.

Phoenix