Firm mattress selection and budget concerns

Having problems looking for a mattress for my mom, who is really used to firm innerspring mattresses.
I’ve ordered a BB Signature (Firm), [strike]which she found too “memory foam hot” after one night.[/strike] She might be slightly allergic to memory foam or something in that bed
She has slept a few nights on my Nest Latex Hybrid (Firm) before and liked it (but this is currently a Medium since I prefer that)

We don’t want to spend too much on this mattress since she’s here only a few months per year. Preferably <1000.

update: returning the BB signature, CS is great.

Updated considerations:
Bite the bullet and just get another Nest Owl in Firm.
[strike]Get Brooklyn bedding’s CS to exchange for something else, but the next firmness level should be Plank, which I read sometimes doesn’t hold up its firmness? She’s more or less lightweight so it might be fine.[/strike] Probably Dreamfoam (Elements?) Latex since it’s also BB but latex on springs
Drive 1.5 hrs to Santa Cruz to check out Bay Bed, but I don’t know how much their mattresses will cost, might end up getting something not that much different from the Owl (in terms of price)
Find the same beautyrest bed she slept on for years, [strike]but I’m pretty sure the Asian models are different, they don’t even have the same sizing standards
[/strike] Found something that might be similar enough in Mattress Firm, but their return policy…
[strike]Random Amazon actually firm non-hybrid innerspring mattress? [/strike] get IKEA HAUGESUND

Hi lumy and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: glad to have you here.

It can be overwhelming trying to find a new mattress, and you are one step further trying to find a suitable mattress for your mom. Any mattress will be unique to the sleepers using it based on their stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP(Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences). You might want to read the Mattress Shopping TutoriaI as well as theMattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to get a better idea of materials and components and how long they last.

[quote] I’ve ordered a BB Signature (Firm), which she found too “memory foam hot” after one night. And also not firm enough.
[/quote]

[quote] Bite the bullet and just get another Nest Owl in Firm.
Get Brooklyn bedding’s CS to exchange for something else, but the next firmness level should be Plank, which I read sometimes doesn’t hold up its firmness? She’s more or less lightweight so it might be fine.
Drive 1.5 hrs to Santa Cruz to check out Bay Bed, but I don’t know how much their mattresses will cost, might end up getting something not that much different from the Owl (in terms of price)
Find the same beautyrest bed she slept on for years, but I’m pretty sure the Asian models are different, they don’t even have the same sizing standards
Random Amazon actually firm non-hybrid innerspring mattress?[/quote]
It sounds like the Brooklyn bedding Memory foam sleeping too hot, which is a common issue for some many consumers due to the its viscos nature of memory foam as it forms a tight cradle around the body and traps the body heat not allowing for sufficient ventilation – as it conforms to the sleepers body, it causes perspiration to ‘pool’ close to the skins surface, which heats it up and can be uncomfortable to sleep on.

You did not say what size bed you need for your mom’s bed in the guest room but either way, your budget is on the low end, for a durable and supportive mattress that does not sleep hot. I would caution you that you don’t fall for basing your purchase on any reviews and don’t fall into “randomly” getting the lowest budget (usually inexpensive cheaply made) bed from amazon, as these can ‘break down’ prematurely and need replacing. I would probably discard this approach unless you manage to find out the specifications so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here. However, being in your guest bedroom even a very low budget mattress may last a little longer so I’d look at the pros and cons for this choice basing it on what is important to you based on your personal value equation as described by Phoenix.

It may also be difficult, as you say, to replicate the old Beautyrest that your Mom enjoyed, as they are constantly changing the components and compositions of their mattresses.
The Brooklyn Plank may be an option, the basic version is 11.75" Tall, 4 Layers you can read in Post #3 here that some consumers have found the plank to ‘soften up’ once it is broken in. These are good quality mattresses but it comes down to how firm she likes her sleeping system.

Bay Beds appears to offer Hybrid Latex mattresses with innersprings, and while it’s a bit of a drive for you, may be worth first calling to check out to see what they carry, and how their prices compare. As you know BayBed is one of the. Trusted members of this site and have an excellent track record of finding “out of the box” solution for any customer need. I’d definitely give them a call and also see how low the TMU discount can bring the pricing down.

[quote]…She has slept a few nights on my Nest Latex Hybrid (Firm) before and liked it (but this is currently a Medium since I prefer that) …
Bite the bullet and just get another Nest Owl in Firm…[/quote]
The Nest Bedding Owl may be a bit higher than your budget (though they typically have sales and there is a TMU discount which may align more closely to what you want to spend) but has the benefit of your Mom already finding them comfortable. As many large retailers like Macy’s and Walmart carry these, it might be more convenient to try them out and ‘dial-in’ your Mothers’ preferred comfort level.
If you are considering online ordering, you can review the offerings of theTrusted Members of the site; they all have great experience in matching sleepers to their ideal mattresses; they are fully transparent about construction and components, and if you can provide a little bit of info on your Mom, they should be able to guide you through their options.
You may want to check out GhostBed (among the Trusted Members as well) they offer some great deals not just two weeks before a major holiday. Plus, they have an exclusive with Affirm for 3 to 5-year 0% APR when competitors are only 18 months to 3 years max… so it’s helping with this new economy as more people look at financing to invest in sleep. As they are more and more consumer friendly and accommodating this is reflecting it their popularity and market share for top bedding companies. There’s nothing wrong with this just wanted to give them a little more visibility)

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio

Thanks Basilio!

The heat part took us by total surprise since my entire family slept on traditional innerspring and (and recently latex). I read up a ton about temperature regulation and stuff when I was researching for my own bed but never experienced it first hand in my own family.

Loosening up the budget quite a bit (<2k) since we started out looking for Full and now we decided on a King instead, and figured that not many places make quality traditional innerspring anymore.

I think one of the main things she want is a smooth and bouncy (tight top?) sleeping surface without any plush feeling (like traditional firm innerspring). She can’t stand those euro/pillow top mattresses when they started getting popular in Singapore. It doesn’t matter how much support there is underneath that soft layer. That rules out the DreamFoam which has a soft layer top. And even rules out the Owl, since even though it’s firm in the latex layer, the top is still pillowy.

We’ve visited a Mancini’s Sleepworld and a Mattress Firm since that’s the closest we can get to after work on a weekday, and she’s super set on a Extra Firm floor model of a Sleepworld store brand mattress. It’s Tatalay + pocketed springs, which sounds good on paper but I’m a bit concerned over the surface quilt material. And just like the major retailers post here, they really don’t disclose much detail about the materials used. The store manager told me to check the website which just said… “Fire Barrier, Poly Foam” for the quilt layer.

The second choice we have is a Mattress Firm Kingsdown in Firm (probably an oudated model, it’s not listed on the official site anymore) which is something like gel foam with copper and stuff? Also a hybrid. She claims she knows it’ll be good by just lying on it, but I’m a bit doubtful over how much cooling it’ll be over the course of a night. It is on sale though (and comes with useless accessories like adjustable base)

The link is 404ing, but I think I’ve already read that post. One of the reasons I ruled out the Plank, since it’s even though it’s going to be a guest room, it’ll see usage about 1/2 of the year. Once it’s “broken in”, it’ll probably not be the right firmness. Also ruling out Ghostbed since it looks like they don’t have truly firm models.

Thanks for reminding me of the TMU discount! I’ve already called and am planning to drive down tomorrow.

After waiting almost 2 weeks for the BB to arrive, she’s really impatient when I mention any online mattress stores she can’t try on before purchase. If we have to get a mattress from the big box retailers, are there some things that we should really watch out for?

Hi lumy,

It certainly sounds like you and your mom are zeroing in on a mattress and she already has ‘crossed out’ certain materials and mattress types, that’s’ great!

As far as the ‘big box’ stores, I would say to keep in mind the Mattress Shopping TutoriaI as theMattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines
And I personally avoid any mattress that does not provide full specifications for their products, as this sometimes hides inexpensive materials or excessive amounts of lower density foams. Also things like copper infusion and such can be a ‘marketing gimmick’ which I am dubious of. Gel foams have their own pros and cons, I would be wary if there is no density (lbs/cubic ft) or layer thickness provided, as, again, some companies hide inexpensive and lower density foams in their products. Since this will only see use for half of the year, and it sounds like your mom is favoring latex, the important thing is that she enjoys the feel of whatever she decides. Hopefully Bay Beds can set you up with a mattress your mom will enjoy, especially with your increased budget.

Let us know what you finally choose and how it’s working for your mom once she spends some time on it.

~ Basilio

Update:
Ended up not going to Bay Beds since I found a local mattress store nearby Friday night, which turns out to be a closeout and factory direct mattress store of big box brands. Manufacturers warranty only. We found a half-off stearns and foster that my mom really liked (mostly because of the top cover material feels smooth instead of cushy). Also shortlisted several other models too that are firm/extra-firm.

Went back and did a ton of research on the mattress and… didn’t manage to get to the level of detail the tutorials/guidelines suggest. It’s just cooling gel foam on top of really firm memory foam that apparently is manufactured by Tempurpedic. Negative user reviews on Macy’s (it’s one of the models still on display instore) don’t mention heat issues, just sag or complain it’s too firm for them.

Do I think it’ll sag eventually? Yes. Is it good value? Yes. Would I have paid full price for it? No.

We pulled the trigger the next day and got next day delivery. She’s slept on it soundly last night and even said it’s a bit cold. With the BB, the heat issues came up immediately. She loves it so this is the end of mattress hunting for us… Until maybe more of my relatives come over and I have to get a decent guest bed for them. Thanks for all the help!

Hi lumy,

Glad to hear you found something your mom finds comfortable! Yes memory foam and gel foam can ‘wear out’ more quickly than other
Materials, but you have done your research and it sounds like a good solution. I hope your mom has many comfortable nights with the new mattress!

~ Basilio