First time buyer- have read all the guides, leaning all latex build, need some advice!

Hello guys, thanks for having me.

I’ve read all the guides on this website as well as gone into a couple mattress places to do the tests recommended for discovery of preference (as much as I could with a salesman breathing down my neck the whole time.)

I’d like some input/advice now that I’m closer to pulling the trigger on something.

First, some background information:

• Two sleepers (wife and I), both side sleepers (exclusively): 6’3" ~175-180 lbs. & 5’4" ~128 lbs.
  • Budget: willing to pay whatever it costs for the best quality possible
  • Desired Size: King
  • Special considerations: I have fairly broad shoulders, arm often goes numb on my current mattress (piece of crap memory foam), so pressure points are on the mind as especially important to me. I also sleep very hot, so that’s important to me too.

Preferences:

• We both prefer soft cushy comfort layers (currently have a low quality memory foam topper on a traditional innerspring mattress)
  • We both liked the 3" Talalay latex comfort layer on the mattress we tried in store yesterday (link: Mattress & Box Spring Sets - Serenity Latex Mattress Set): made up of 1-inch, 19-ILD Talalay and 2-inch, 24-ILD Talalay. But I did feel as though my should area wasn’t sinking in enough? So maybe something even softer?? And there didn’t seem to be quite enough support (probably because of the crappy 2.5 lb/ft³ density foam core they used as the support…)
  • They did not have a full latex construction mattress there to try, but we found we preferred the one above (latex comfort layer + memory foam support) to a latex comfort layer + innerspring support construction. This leads me to believe we’d probably like a full latex construction.
  • We liked the more stretch knit constructions more than traditional pillow-top ones.

Now for some questions

At a high level, I’m still a bit confused whether all Talalay would be best if money is no object (with different levels of firmness in the support and comfort layers accordingly of course) or if it would actually be better to lean into Dunlop’s inherently firmer properties and do Talalay in the comfort layer and Dunlop for the support.

Secondly, I do think we ever so slightly like the feel of memory foam a bit better than latex in the comfort layer, but I’ve assumed at this point that the difference between the two is negligible if high quality materials are used and that the downside of heat retention with memory foam, along with the better alignment/support of latex really just exclude memory foam from even being considered?

Thirdly, I’ve looked at all latex quotes from a few websites listed here in the community but am unsure where to lean. The idea of a variable construction from Flobeds Vzone sounds nice in theory (even if its way more expensive) but then on the guide, it says that usually more than 2-3 zones is often unnecessary and can even create more discomfort than necessary?

As far as the other sites I’ve looked at go (Arizona Premium, Sleepez, DIY Mattress) I do like the idea of having a bit more customization, and most of their finder tools seem to indicate my wife and I would both best be served by a soft, then medium, then firm latex construction (though if I add 5 lbs. it changes mine to medium for the comfort layer for some reason?) But how would one narrow done further from these options if we’re just going differential construction?

Finally, I had a couple random questions not as related. Is a boxspring necessary? We have a more platform-bed style with slats, but the mattress guy seemed to indicate that wasn’t a good choice and that we’d need a box spring (but he also said he’s never heard of an all latex construction and that they don’t exist- so I wonder if he’s full of crap on this matter too lol.) And then, what’s the deal with adjustable beds? Is there really any value in making your mattress lean up and down in various spots rather than being flat?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm

A firm marshmallow that you will love. Firm and soft at the same time. Tempurpedic is the best memory foam.

John

1 Like

You can put latex on a platform bed, but the slats need to be no more than 2 or 3 inches apart, depending on type of mattress.

Benefits of adjustable beds (these vary by the individual)

• Limits snoring to have head raised

• Can help with back or neck pain
    Some models even have lumbar support

• Relief for acid reflux

• Increase circulation, breathe easier

Eight Benefits of Adjustable Beds

Best of luck!
Katie for TCB

2 Likes

The difference between memory foam and latex isn’t negligible. They are quite a bit different. Latex has push back to it whereas memory foam is going to have more of a sinking quality. Since you say you sleep really hot I’d probably skip it though. There’s memory foam that has cooling technology but at the end of the day memory foam is inherently warm.

My wife and I just built a DIY all memory foam bed on (split king) with a Leggett & Platt adjustable frame and are really happy with the outcome. 3" Dunlop firm base, 3" medium dunlop, 3" soft talalay on my side, 3" medium talalay on hers. I think this worked out great as base bed for both of us. It’s kind of medium firm on her side and medium soft on mine. I think we got the base bed down really well. I’m 5 6" and weight 142 and sleep on my side.

We went Dunlop with the base layers since it’s generally a firmer latex. Should also last longer as well. Top layer we went with talalay so it would be a bit softer.

I’m trying to fine tune the top comfort layer. It’s fine as it is but looking to soften it up just a tad. Sometimes my shoulder hurts. I think some of that has to do with the way I place my arm. I just picked up a cheap fiberfill pillow top (like 1.5 thickness or something). It actually made quite a bit of difference (I like it). Anyhow I think the base bed is great and I can always play around with various toppers. Was thinking of maybe checking out the Lanoodle latex noodle topper. Bed feels great now though so probably not needed.

You don’t need a mattress spring. I think slats are fine if they are solid and close together (can’t remember the distance). We’re loving the adjustable frame though. I like sleeping with the bed ever so slightly raised. Also for hanging out in bed reading or watching t.v. it’s great to raise the legs along with raising the head. Super comfy.

We went through (Arizona mattress/DIY mattress) for the bed. If you call Ken he can help you dial it in.

The short of it is the all latex bed feels really solid and premium. We’re happy and it won’t be hard to fine tune some things since we got the support stuff dialed in.

1 Like

@happy_sleep
Thanks for the latex vote of confidence! I’m glad to hear it’s gone well so far. I didn’t know Talalay wore out faster than Dunlop- I just assumed if you could afford Talalay at a firmer density then it would be preferable in all cases.

1 Like

@TheCleanBedroom thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense!

1 Like

I would not say that talalay wears out fast than dunlop. Talalay is more uniform in density where as dunlop is “bottom heavy.” And it also depends on where the cut is made in the dunlop slab too. Dunlop is not necessarily “firmer” that is more of a myth, as both can be make to the same firmness. Dunlop will generally be more dense, particularly if you get the bottom cut from the slab.

You will get folks on either side of the conversation that will proffer that one is “better” than the other. I dont think that is the right argument. They can both be made to a similar ILD, although dunlop with have a higher support factor than talalay processed.

Some like FloBeds will say that talalay is more resilient Talalay vs Dunlop by flobeds.

They are generally just used differently. Dunlop for support layers, and Talalay for comfort layers. But even there, that is not always the case. Just a matter of preference of the user, plus the “feel” one prefers.

Food for thought

Norm

I see Norm added a follow up about longevity. I’d definitely defer to him on that. There’s also blended latex (talalay latex/synthetic latex). I haven’t tried that but it sounds like that is quality latex as well.

1 Like

A characteristic of synthetic vs natural latex is both can have the same ILD, but the natural will generally be more dense, the pounds per cubic meter will be greater in the natural latex therefore as a weight is applied, you will sink more into the synthetic vs the natural that will keep you afloat on the mattress. So it is important to remember that when comparing natural vs synthetic latex, the ILD of each is only one factor. The density of the material will play an important role.

2 Likes

Good luck. I love Talalay. And read the opposite … namely that it outlasts Dunlop. My husband and I have a 20 year old Talalay Med mattress with no problems. We more recently got a Talalay Soft topper for his back.

If you sleep hot, please do yourself a favor and get Linen sheets. From Quince Search… the quality is great , the price is amazing and they have a 1 year return policy…

2 Likes

Agree with @hester about linen sheets, if you sleep hot. In fact, natural fibers and materials, in general, will be more breathable and sleep cooler. Organic cotton, silk, linen - each has a different feel, so see what feels best to you!
Katie for TCB

2 Likes