First Time DIY for Mostly Side Sleepers

Looking to build my first DIY mattress - specifically a latex hybrid.

Me: 6’0", 185lbs, 80% side / 20% stomach
Her: 5’2, 125lbs, 70% side / 30% back

Current build idea (bottom to top):

8" Elite Edge Bolsa Coils
SOL 2" Medium Latex
SOL 2" Soft Latex

I am fairly committed on the coils, but are these toppers okay? Any pros/cons to doing a single 3" latex topper over the coils?

Hi serenade.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks for these initial details. The proposed build is pretty standard, although I worry a little bit about you sinking through that top comfort layer into the medium layer. Do you tend to like softer beds?

The only real “downside” is it’s a bit harder to customize feel with a single latex slab. 2" over 2" is a great way to swap out layers and adjust the feel until you get it to where you want it.

What kind of encasement are you thinking for your mattress?

NikkiTMU

I ended up purchasing the two SOL’s 2" (soft and medium) as well as the Talalay 3" topper (19ild). Will try the 2x2 first, then the 3" Talalay separately and see how it goes for us. Beyond these two scenarios, if it gets to it, I will try the SOL medium under the Talalay as well.Will report back

Looking forward to your report!

NikkiTMU

Hi serenade, just curious if you had an update on your new DIY mattress set up. I’m thinking about trying the same: 8" Bolsa x 2" Med dunlop x 2" soft talalaya. Would love to hear if the 2" worked well or if a 3" would be better.