Five steps to your perfect mattress - overview

Hi Gailby,

If you let me know what city you live in Iā€™d be happy to provide any suggestions I know about within about 50 to 100 miles of where you live. I try to include manufacturers within a certain radius (depending on the number of choices available in an area) so that others who read a thread donā€™t get overwhelmed by choices or discouraged because they are too far away.

Thanks Eagle007 for referencing the Sacramento link as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I live in Southern Illinois (Carbondale). Where are the good places in the area? I know of none.

Hi Christopher,

Some of the better choices in the Carbondale, IL area include ā€¦

http://www.sterlingmattress.com/ Herrin, IL. Factory direct manufacturer. I have talked with Mike the owner and he makes a wide range of mattresses including innerspring mattresses with higher quality polyfoam and construction methods that make the mattress more durable. Also carries latex mattresses and memory foam. They are also a member of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the country. He is ā€œmattress peopleā€ and is committed to making a good mattress at a good price. He can customize a mattress according to the needs of each person and has been making mattresses for almost 20 years. There are some comments about them in this thread

http://www.campbellmattressco.com/ Cape Girardeau, MO. Wholesale Manufacturer. Makes mainly innerspring and memory foam mattresses, no latex but uses good quality materials. A call should give you some local retail outlets that carry them.

A little further away in the St Louis area some of the better options or possibilities include ā€¦

http://www.maplewoodcustombedding.com/ St Louis, MO. Factory direct manufacturer. Makes a range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam, and a two sided Dunlop latex set with good value.

http://meyerbedding.com/ St. Louis, MO. Factory direct manufacturer. Makes mainly two sided innerspring/polyfoam mattresses using higher quality polyfoam. Will use other materials including latex on request and can also make custom constructions. Have talked with Scott and he is also what I call ā€œmattress peopleā€. His family has been manufacturing mattresses for over 100 years.

http://www.mattressconceptsstl.com/ High Ridge, MO. Another local manufacturer that makes their own two sided traditional innerspring mattresses that use higher quality materials (1.8 lb polyfoam and higher) with good quality and value. I talked with Clinton the owner and he is knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful and is well worth a visit. They also carry some other brands for mattress types that they donā€™t build themselves including Sleep Harmony memory foam mattresses. Also what I call ā€œmattress peopleā€.

Directory of Verlo Mattress Locations. Find a Verlo Mattress store in your town. St. Charles, MO (and others in the area). Regional factory direct manufacturer. Makes a wide range of mattresses of all types including innerspring, memory foam and latex. They didnā€™t carry any latex mattresses on their floor at this location when Iast talked with them but they do carry the rest of the line (you can check to see if this is still the case).

http://www.stlbeds.com/ St. Louis, MO. Retail outlet. Carries a range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam, and latex including Pure Latex Bliss, Savvy Rest, Anatomic Global, Glideaway, Symbol, Campbell (including 2 sided), and others. I would avoid the major brands here but they have good selection and would be a good place to test various layering combinations in latex. Some of these brands may have better than average value.

http://sleepsolutionsus.com/ Belleville, IL. Carries Pure Talalay Bliss latex mattresses and Dutch Craft which makes some better quality and value mattresses.

http://mattressandfutonoutlet.com/ St Charles, Ballwin, Florissant, MO and Fairview Hts, ILā€¦ They also carry Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses along with Dreamline, Therapedic, and SleepInc mattresses.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thanks for your help, Phoenix. (This is Christopher) I will take a look at their websites and see what I think.
What do you think of Custom Sleep Design? I have spoken with someone their, and he explained that their mattresses are completely talalay latex, including the support cores. He explained to me that talalay can be make to be as supportive as dunlop, though dunlop does not have the ILD range that talalay has. Is talalay as durable as dunlop as a support core? Their prices are astronomical though, and Iā€™m wary of paying that much for a mattress I cannot lay on first. I also have no idea of their warranties and the warranty better be great for a full sized mattress costing $2800. I guess you pay the price for custom.
Iā€™m going to keep looking around, but this has been a very discouraging process thus far. :confused:

Hi Christopher,

Custom Sleep Design is one of the members of this site. I invite certain manufacturers to become members of this site when I have come to know them well enough to know that they are among the highest quality and value manufacturers in North America and of course when they have come to know me well enough to know that they share the values of the site. (NOTE: they have unfortunately gone out of business)

In the case of Custom Sleep ā€¦ they produce a premium mattress which is a higher price than many other factory direct manufacturers when their value is measured in ā€œinches of latexā€ but their greatest value is in producing what I believe is the most individually customized mattress available. Their zoning system and how they ā€œfitā€ a mattress to each person or couple is IMO the most accurate that I know of. It involves taking certain measurements for each person who will be using the mattress and then custom designing each mattress and the zones to each individual which of course is more time consuming and labor intensive than other less customized mattresses. Like other custom manufacturers that also sell online ā€¦ they offer layer exchanges (rather than mattress exchanges which are far more expensive and difficult) after purchase in case the characteristics of the mattress need to be changed.

Bob is also a former VP of Latex International which produces much of the Talalay latex used in North America and is very knowledgeable about the qualities of latex. A warranty is not nearly as important as knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress because warranty issues do not include the softening or degrading of the foam which is the biggest long term issue with lower quality materials and construction methods. Warranty issues usually involve actual defects in construction (not the performance issues of lower quality materials or comfort issues) and these defects will usually show up very early in the life of a mattress.

So they are a great option for those who are looking for an individually customized mattress that uses the highest quality materials and where custom designing to the individual weight, body shape, and sleeping positions is a big part of the ā€œvalueā€ they are looking for.

Talking to and/or visiting some of the factory direct manufacturers near you will certainly help avoid the typical confusion that comes from looking for a mattress made by a major manufacturer or typical chain store or mass market outlet. Sometimes knowing who to believe is just as important as knowing what to believe :).

One of the most important parts of this site is to help people know who to believe and to provide enough basic knowledge about mattress materials and construction that it becomes easier to know when someone really knows what they are talking about. Better outlets and salespeople will focus on accurate and transparent information about materials and the construction of a mattress that research will confirm rather than focusing on telling you a story that they hope you will believe (without doing the research that will expose the stories for what they are) or using sales techniques that create a sense of urgency or false perceptions about the quality of a mattress to discourage meaningful comparisons and to inflate their profit margin.

Someone who knows what they are talking about and will help you make meaningful comparisons based on materials and construction is your best friend when you are mattress shopping. Finding them and avoiding those who donā€™t or wonā€™t is more than half the battle.

Phoenix

Do you know of any in Louisiana .

Hi Pooswa,

Thereā€™s not a lot of factory direct manufacturers in most of Louisiana that I know of but there are a few in Baton Rouge.

http://www.wholesalemattressfactory.com/ Baton Rouge, LA. They have been in business for a very long time and make all types of mattresses using any material ā€œthe old fashioned wayā€ with good quality and value. they will custom build whatever a customer may want. Open and honest and what I call ā€œmattress peopleā€.

http://www.capitalbed.com/ Baton rouge, LA. Another ā€œold timeā€ factory direct manufacturer who sells mainly wholesale to retail outlets across the state but will sell retail to a customer who walks in their door. Also carries a range of different types of mattresses on their floor including latex, memory foam, and traditional mattresses. Also very open and honest and ā€œmattress peopleā€.

http://www.istroumamattressfactory.com/ Baton rouge, LA. Yet another ā€œold timeā€ smaller (2 man) manufacturer who has been in business for decades. They also manufacture a range of mattresses of using higher quality materials including traditional innerspring/polyfoam, memory foam, and latex hybrids.

EDIT: There is one other factory direct manufacturer that I discovered and talked with today in Lafayette (see post #179 here).

They are https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irwins-Mattress/184156004978427 or http://www.irwinsmattress.com/ and I talked with the 3rd generation of family ownership Scott and they are making mattresses of all types including memory foam, talalay latex, and innersprings and use better quality materials and construction methods than you will see in typical chain stores and major brands. I guess Baton Rouge isnā€™t the only local manufacturing happening in Louisiana.

If you are not near any of these and let me know the city you live in I may know of some better retail outlets near you.

NOTE: There is an updated Baton Rouge list in post #191 here.

Phoenix

Thanks ā€¦I live in lafaytette so I will check out the one hereā€¦if you can find some some good retail places I can trust I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks againā€¦

Hi Pooswa,

I did a fairly thorough search in and around Lafayette and based on online information at least, I really didnā€™t see any other outlet that had mattresses that I would seriously consider. Most of them with only a very few exceptions carry only major brands which IMO donā€™t have the same value as what you could purchase at Irwins Mattress mart.

Phoenix

i live in mckinney tx. north of dallas tx. what stores would you suggest i check here?

Hi cliffkat,

I linked this in your other post but Iā€™ll add a link to the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Dallas area here as well for those who read this thread down the road.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

My name is Levi and I would like to say that I am feel very fortunate to have stumbled across your site. I almost purchased a new mattress today at Mattress Firm in Fairview Heights Illinois but decided at the last minute to hold off and do a little bit of research. Boy am I happy I did.

I am also from the St. Louis area. Out of the places that you mentioned in the St. Louis area is there any where in particular that you would go where you can really try out the different mattresses? If you were me, where would you start your search for a latex or foam mattress? I cannot figure out whether I want a latex or foam mattress, hardly know the difference.

I checked out the website in Herrig and there only seemed to be a two choices.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all of the valuable information you provide on this topic.

Would you consider Denver Mattress a good bed???

Doctorā€™s Choice Euro Top by Denver Mattress King Mattress Only

Hi levipainter,

Denver Mattress would normally be one of the better quality/value options available to people where they have an outlet yes ā€¦ at least if you are focusing on the line of mattresses they make and not the major brands they also carry.

Which of the specific mattresses they make however that may be a good choice for you would depend entirely on which one best matches your needs and preferences and the results of your own specific testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and your own ā€œpersonal value equationā€.

Phoenix

Hi,
Where would you recommend I shop in the Cleveland, Ohio area? So glad we found this site before purchasing, weā€™ve been putting off a new mattress for way too long.

Hi Robert,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the general Cleveland area are listed in post #2 here.

Make sure though that you donā€™t treat any of the lists on the forum as ā€œrecommendationsā€ but as ā€œpossibilitiesā€ where your odds are much higher of finding a suitable mattress with good quality and value. No matter who you buy from itā€™s always important to make sure that they can provide you with the details of every layer in any mattress you are considering so you can make meaningful comparisons and identify any potential weak links in the mattress ā€¦ usually in the comfort layers ā€¦ that may affect how long the mattress will continue to provide you with the support and comfort that meets your needs and preferences in the long term as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for the company information. i will look into each company for the best deal.
Bird Feather

Hi Phoenix,

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? I have a Denver Mattress Showroom in my town (Albuquerque). Iā€™d have to buy from Arizona just based on components and advice from the owner. What I really want is a king version of my 10-year old Sherwood Lumina Firm which is still so comfortable, but Sherwood is on indefinite backorder here in NM, and I fear they will not be making mattresses of the same quality now that theyā€™ve been purchased by Sealy.

The reason Iā€™m looking at Arizona is that my only past experience with Denver Mattress wasnā€™t great. I got a Doctorā€™s Choice in 2004 that was way too soft and really hurt my back. But that could have been my mistake. The DM salesperson insisted that research showed that a firm mattress was bad for people with back problems and foisted a medium-firmness Doctorā€™s Choice on me.

Any advice would be most appreciated. And if you know any mattress seller that still has the old versions of Sherwood mattresses in stock and could ship to New Mexico, Iā€™d be over the moon.

Thank you :pray:t4:!!

Hi Nii.

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? I have a Denver Mattress Showroom in my town (Albuquerque). Iā€™d have to buy from Arizona just based on components and advice from the owner. What I really want is a king version of my 10-year old Sherwood Lumina Firm which is still so comfortable, but Sherwood is on indefinite backorder here in NM, and I fear they will not be making mattresses of the same quality now that theyā€™ve been purchased by Sealy

Denver Mattress is a regional factory direct manufacturer which makes a range of mattresses including all foam, innerspring, and hybrids for many budget ranges. Denver is providing most of the mattress specs in Denver Mattress lineups which helps consumers to make meaningful comparisons and run those specs by Mattress Durability Guidelines. Their showrooms has several big-name brands so without knowing the materials and components (layer material, thickness, density, ILD/IFD) of the bed you are considering there is really no way to trust the quality youā€™d get and know how long you are likely to sleep well before the foams start breaking down. Although I do not put much stock on BBB reviews, you may want to consider these customer complaints.

The DM salesperson insisted that research showed that a firm mattress was bad for people with back problems and foisted a medium-firmness Doctorā€™s Choice on me.

In most cases quite the opposite is true. I wouldnā€™t trust a blanket judgment that is that itā€™s based on ā€œresearch shows ā€¦ā€ without substantiating these claims. Depending on the personā€™s stats, too soft and too thick comfort layers will often result in spinal misalignment. A firmer support layer underneath is important to stop any further sinking down of the heavier parts of your body and keep the spine in neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions.

It helps to think of a mattress as a firmer support layer (or layers) that keeps you in alignment and a comfort layer (or layers) which help to cushion you from the firm support layer, spread your body weight over a larger surface area to relieve the pressure points that the support layer alone would cause, and fill in the gaps in your sleeping profile (like the small of your back or your waist). There are many different ways to accomplish this and the different materials that are used to give you pressure relief and support will play a big role in accommodating your preferences (such as sleeping hot, sleeping "in or ā€œonā€ your mattress, and how ā€œspringyā€ or responsive you want your mattress to be). The different materials and the quality of the materials you use will also play a bit part in the cost and durability of your mattress. Low-quality materials can make a pressure-relieving and supportive mattress but it wonā€™t last as long.

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? ā€¦//ā€¦
The reason Iā€™m looking at Arizona is that my only past experience with Denver Mattress wasnā€™t great

Arizona Premium Mattress is a veteran Trusted Member of the site, They are transparent about everything connected with their products, have good quality/value, and have an excellent track record of satisfied customers and customer service. With almost 50 years in the mattress industry Ken, the owner, is most adept at matching consumers with mattresses to fit their unique needs and preferences. Iā€™d make sure to call or reach Ken on Arizona Premium dedicated forum and provide him with your stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions). Iā€™d also mention that you are trying to match the Sherwood Lumina Firm so that he can better approximate a similar build. Be sure to ask about the comfort exchange policies in case you need to ā€˜tweakā€™ the feel. Per your prior post ā€“ as you are looking at latex hybrid you may want to consider the King Ultimate Hybrid Pocket coil. This also would meet your criteria of avoiding ā€˜cooling gels and chemicals.ā€™

You are correct that Sherwood is now owned by Tempur Sealy Company Their tight-top Lumina Luxury firm mattress is a hybrid gel (that word again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) memory foam mattress and itā€™s available at a number of online retailersā€¦however, they donā€™t provide the mattress specifications you need to know to make an informed mattress purchase. Itā€™s hard to tell what changes may have occurred over the last 10 years, let alone since the Sealy acquisition in 2020 - and the many supply chain disruptions that have transpired since then but you can see some of Sherwood product lines here

All in all, playing it safe seems like the best approach. Let us know what your journey brings.

Phoenix

1 Like

Thank you so much !!!