Five steps to your perfect mattress - overview

Steps to Discovering and Buying your Perfect Mattress

By now you will hopefully have read the overviews which talk about the different types of mattress cores, the different types of comfort layers, how the different layers and ways of combining them can affect your choices, and finally how your own unique needs and preferences play a very important role in your overall comfort and satisfaction. You will likely be developing some preferences of your own and are probably anxious to begin testing this new knowledge in real life. That means it is time to begin the last leg of the journey towards your perfect mattress which is the actual field testing of mattresses.

Being an informed consumer.

If you have read the overviews and perhaps some of the more detailed pages as well, you will quickly discover that you already know much more than the vast majority of salespeople you will encounter. You will also quickly discover that when you begin to ask questions based on what you now know, that you will get some very “strange” reactions as many of them will realize that they are about to lose a sale and have been trained to apply certain “techniques” before you walk out of their store. Now that you are no longer dependent on the information they will give you and have a way to find out the truth behind it … this part of your journey can even be somewhat fun and certainly far less intimidating and confusing.

Now you have the basic information you will need, there are 5 simple steps to discovering and then buying your perfect mattress. We have separated them into separate steps because what most people will quickly find is that if they don’t test each element separately, the different and sometimes conflicting information and terminology for each step can become confusing very quickly in a haze of information overload, false information coming at you faster than a machine gun, and the difficulty of remembering exactly what that mattress 2 stores ago really felt like. An example of this is using “firm” to describe a mattress. You may want a firm support layer with a very soft comfort layer and yet as soon as many salespeople hear the word firm you will not even be shown any mattresses with softer comfort layers. There are many other examples of how a single word (such as “supportive”) has many meanings depending on which part of a mattress you are talking about and the knowledge of the person you are dealing with.

The quick version of these 5 steps are included here.

More details or specifics are included in a separate page for each in this section for those who need it.

Step 1: Do Your Research

First read this article to make sure that any store you visit can tell you the specifics about what is in any mattresses you test. Flop around on a whole bunch of mattresses in the stores (high end, low end, and in the middle) and get a sense of the intangibles which feel good to you. Do you like a “springier” mattress, do you like a more “stable and nonresponsive” mattress, do you like the feel of “cushy” on top … do you like the feel of “firmer” on top. Narrow down your choices to 2 or 3 and then go home and take a look at the construction of the ones you liked (there are many websites which list the constructions of the mattresses they sell). You will likely see patterns that will give you a good idea of the overall general feel you like. You will know the general differences in feel between innersprings and the different types of foam mattresses. The differences in feel between firm and plush and pillowtop, the differences in feel between firm and softer lower layers or innersprings, and the differences in feel between different types of materials and methods used in the ticking and quilting of a mattress. This step is only about how you feel in the first few minutes of lying on a mattress and moving around on it. It also helps if you sleep with a partner to both do this at the same time so you can test different mattresses for “motion separation” if that is important to you.

Step 2: Test for Pressure Relief

Testing for pressure relief. In this step you will be testing the top 2" - 5" of a mattress. This is the part that forms a cradle around your body and relieves pressure on the “bony parts” by redistributing pressure points throughout the mattress surface. Test different mattresses to see if you are sinking in enough relieve pressure points and lie on the choices that feel the best (in terms of sinking in and relieving pressure) for 5-10 minutes, especially in the sleeping position that needs the most “sinking in” (generally side sleeping) to see what feels the best in terms of pressure relief. Choose the 2 or 3 that seem to create the least pressure points in all your different positions and go home and look at the constructions that worked for you. You will also see patterns here in terms of the thickness and type of comfort layers that work best for you. The most important part of this step is that you focus only on pressure relief and not confuse this with “initial feel” and “support”. You will discover here how thick and soft your comfort layers need to be for your unique needs and also how soft and “point elastic” (or in the case of memory foam “point responsive”) they need to be to create the perfect “cradle” for you.

Step 3: Test for Support

This is where you test a mattress for “support” or its ability to keep your spine aligned in all your sleeping positions. It helps to have a partner here. When you lie on mattresses for this step, you are looking to see if your spine is straight when you are on your side or follows its natural “S” curve when you are on your back or stomach. If any “parts” of you sink in too much (usually pelvic area) or too little (usually shoulder area) then you will sleep out of alignment which usually leads to pain or discomfort in the lower back, upper back, or neck and shoulders (which can also be from the wrong pillow for your sleeping positions). It can help if your partner has a yardstick to use as a reference point to check for alignment on your side. It also helps to “stand up straight with good posture” before you lie down on your back or stomach so they can “memorize” what your natural “S” curve looks like and see if it looks similar when you are lying down. They should also try to slide their hand under your “recessed areas” in all sleeping positions to make sure that they are being “filled in” and supported. If it is too easy to slide a hand under then it means that the mattress support layer could be too firm to allow for good support and alignment. If you are “hammocking” and the heavier parts are sinking down too far then this too can mean poor support and alignment. Pay particular attention here to make sure that the pelvic area isn’t sinking down too far, that the shoulders are sinking in far enough, and that the head and neck are in good alignment (always test a mattress using a suitable pillow). When you have 2 - 3 mattresses that seem to provide the best support and alignment, then its time to go home and compare the mattresses to see any common patterns in the ones that worked best for you.

Step 4: Narrow Your Options

This is where you test a mattress for “support” or its ability to keep your spine aligned in all your sleeping positions. It helps to have a partner here. When you lie on mattresses for this step, you are looking to see if your spine is straight when you are on your side or follows its natural “S” curve when you are on your back or stomach. If any “parts” of you sink in too much (usually pelvic area) or too little (usually shoulder area) then you will sleep out of alignment which usually leads to pain or discomfort in the lower back, upper back, or neck and shoulders (which can also be from the wrong pillow for your sleeping positions). It can help if your partner has a yardstick to use as a reference point to check for alignment on your side. It also helps to “stand up straight with good posture” before you lie down on your back or stomach so they can “memorize” what your natural “S” curve looks like and see if it looks similar when you are lying down. They should also try to slide their hand under your “recessed areas” in all sleeping positions to make sure that they are being “filled in” and supported. If it is too easy to slide a hand under then it means that the mattress support layer could be too firm to allow for good support and alignment. If you are “hammocking” and the heavier parts are sinking down too far then this too can mean poor support and alignment. Pay particular attention here to make sure that the pelvic area isn’t sinking down too far, that the shoulders are sinking in far enough, and that the head and neck are in good alignment (always test a mattress using a suitable pillow). When you have 2 - 3 mattresses that seem to provide the best support and alignment, then its time to go home and compare the mattresses to see any common patterns in the ones that worked best for you.

Step 5: Make Your Decision

Of all the different steps, most people consider this one the most fun … and sometimes the most difficult. This is where you decide on exactly what to buy based on the combination of different features and the any difference in value in buying a similar mattress from different sources and where all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation become important. The difficult part can be making all the final decisions about the smaller details of your mattress and which ones you really want and which ones you don’t. For example, do you want a wool quilting which is a natural Fire Barrier and provides good temperature regulation or would you rather have a thicker circular knit ticking which will let you sleep closer to latex or memory foam and help it relieve pressure better, in which case you may be fine with a viscose/silica fire barrier. At this step you will have a clear idea of exactly what type of mattress works best for you and the details of its construction. You may have actually found one that you would buy or a couple that were so close that you know exactly what needs to be changed to make it perfect (such as … this one would do but it would be perfect if it was just a tiny bit softer on top).

You now have several options. Usually, the worst option is to buy a mattress from a chain store or larger outlet, even if this is where you tested it and found out it was perfect. This is because a very comparable mattress using similar and even higher quality materials is often available in your area if you know where to look … and of course we can help you find them. The outlets with the best value and the greatest knowledge are usually factory direct outlets of smaller manufacturers or smaller specialty sleep shops that sell these same local and regional brand mattresses and order them directly from the factory. They will also have the knowledge to make minor adjustments that will refine it even more. Many of them will even make or order a custom made mattress for you and all of this for less than most chain stores will charge you for lesser materials. If you are confident enough, you may choose to go with a “do it yourself” construction that can be adjusted by exchanging layers afterward if you are “not quite right” and be able to take advantage of the value that so many of these offer. Finally if you know “exactly” what you want, you could even order from a manufacturer in another state or province that could make your mattress exactly the way you wanted it at a value that many would have difficulty believing. Of course if one of these is in the city you live in and you have perhaps done your testing there, then you already have the best of all worlds and you may not even need this step as you may already have made your best decision. In any case, once you get past the difficulty of making all your final choices, then finding the best value for your particular circumstances is like a treasure hunt … and once you find your “treasure”, you will have your perfect mattress and can expect many years of kind of comfortable sleep that you were looking for when you began this journey.

If you’d like more details about any of these steps, then the separate pages for each are there to help you … and as you know, our forum is always open.

We hope that when you have found and purchased your mattress, that you will also share your experiences with us and others in the forum and help them find their own version of their perfect mattress.

Are there any factory direct outlets in Northern California?

Gailby, check out this link to a forum post by Phoenix.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/latex-mattresses-in-sacramento

Hi Gailby,

If you let me know what city you live in I’d be happy to provide any suggestions I know about within about 50 to 100 miles of where you live. I try to include manufacturers within a certain radius (depending on the number of choices available in an area) so that others who read a thread don’t get overwhelmed by choices or discouraged because they are too far away.

Thanks Eagle007 for referencing the Sacramento link as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I live in Southern Illinois (Carbondale). Where are the good places in the area? I know of none.

Hi Christopher,

Some of the better choices in the Carbondale, IL area include …

http://www.sterlingmattress.com/ Herrin, IL. Factory direct manufacturer. I have talked with Mike the owner and he makes a wide range of mattresses including innerspring mattresses with higher quality polyfoam and construction methods that make the mattress more durable. Also carries latex mattresses and memory foam. They are also a member of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the country. He is “mattress people” and is committed to making a good mattress at a good price. He can customize a mattress according to the needs of each person and has been making mattresses for almost 20 years. There are some comments about them in this thread

http://www.campbellmattressco.com/ Cape Girardeau, MO. Wholesale Manufacturer. Makes mainly innerspring and memory foam mattresses, no latex but uses good quality materials. A call should give you some local retail outlets that carry them.

A little further away in the St Louis area some of the better options or possibilities include …

http://www.maplewoodcustombedding.com/ St Louis, MO. Factory direct manufacturer. Makes a range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam, and a two sided Dunlop latex set with good value.

http://meyerbedding.com/ St. Louis, MO. Factory direct manufacturer. Makes mainly two sided innerspring/polyfoam mattresses using higher quality polyfoam. Will use other materials including latex on request and can also make custom constructions. Have talked with Scott and he is also what I call “mattress people”. His family has been manufacturing mattresses for over 100 years.

http://www.mattressconceptsstl.com/ High Ridge, MO. Another local manufacturer that makes their own two sided traditional innerspring mattresses that use higher quality materials (1.8 lb polyfoam and higher) with good quality and value. I talked with Clinton the owner and he is knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful and is well worth a visit. They also carry some other brands for mattress types that they don’t build themselves including Sleep Harmony memory foam mattresses. Also what I call “mattress people”.

Directory of Verlo Mattress Locations. Find a Verlo Mattress store in your town. St. Charles, MO (and others in the area). Regional factory direct manufacturer. Makes a wide range of mattresses of all types including innerspring, memory foam and latex. They didn’t carry any latex mattresses on their floor at this location when Iast talked with them but they do carry the rest of the line (you can check to see if this is still the case).

http://www.stlbeds.com/ St. Louis, MO. Retail outlet. Carries a range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam, and latex including Pure Latex Bliss, Savvy Rest, Anatomic Global, Glideaway, Symbol, Campbell (including 2 sided), and others. I would avoid the major brands here but they have good selection and would be a good place to test various layering combinations in latex. Some of these brands may have better than average value.

http://sleepsolutionsus.com/ Belleville, IL. Carries Pure Talalay Bliss latex mattresses and Dutch Craft which makes some better quality and value mattresses.

http://mattressandfutonoutlet.com/ St Charles, Ballwin, Florissant, MO and Fairview Hts, IL… They also carry Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses along with Dreamline, Therapedic, and SleepInc mattresses.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thanks for your help, Phoenix. (This is Christopher) I will take a look at their websites and see what I think.
What do you think of Custom Sleep Design? I have spoken with someone their, and he explained that their mattresses are completely talalay latex, including the support cores. He explained to me that talalay can be make to be as supportive as dunlop, though dunlop does not have the ILD range that talalay has. Is talalay as durable as dunlop as a support core? Their prices are astronomical though, and I’m wary of paying that much for a mattress I cannot lay on first. I also have no idea of their warranties and the warranty better be great for a full sized mattress costing $2800. I guess you pay the price for custom.
I’m going to keep looking around, but this has been a very discouraging process thus far. :confused:

Hi Christopher,

Custom Sleep Design is one of the members of this site. I invite certain manufacturers to become members of this site when I have come to know them well enough to know that they are among the highest quality and value manufacturers in North America and of course when they have come to know me well enough to know that they share the values of the site. (NOTE: they have unfortunately gone out of business)

In the case of Custom Sleep … they produce a premium mattress which is a higher price than many other factory direct manufacturers when their value is measured in “inches of latex” but their greatest value is in producing what I believe is the most individually customized mattress available. Their zoning system and how they “fit” a mattress to each person or couple is IMO the most accurate that I know of. It involves taking certain measurements for each person who will be using the mattress and then custom designing each mattress and the zones to each individual which of course is more time consuming and labor intensive than other less customized mattresses. Like other custom manufacturers that also sell online … they offer layer exchanges (rather than mattress exchanges which are far more expensive and difficult) after purchase in case the characteristics of the mattress need to be changed.

Bob is also a former VP of Latex International which produces much of the Talalay latex used in North America and is very knowledgeable about the qualities of latex. A warranty is not nearly as important as knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress because warranty issues do not include the softening or degrading of the foam which is the biggest long term issue with lower quality materials and construction methods. Warranty issues usually involve actual defects in construction (not the performance issues of lower quality materials or comfort issues) and these defects will usually show up very early in the life of a mattress.

So they are a great option for those who are looking for an individually customized mattress that uses the highest quality materials and where custom designing to the individual weight, body shape, and sleeping positions is a big part of the “value” they are looking for.

Talking to and/or visiting some of the factory direct manufacturers near you will certainly help avoid the typical confusion that comes from looking for a mattress made by a major manufacturer or typical chain store or mass market outlet. Sometimes knowing who to believe is just as important as knowing what to believe :).

One of the most important parts of this site is to help people know who to believe and to provide enough basic knowledge about mattress materials and construction that it becomes easier to know when someone really knows what they are talking about. Better outlets and salespeople will focus on accurate and transparent information about materials and the construction of a mattress that research will confirm rather than focusing on telling you a story that they hope you will believe (without doing the research that will expose the stories for what they are) or using sales techniques that create a sense of urgency or false perceptions about the quality of a mattress to discourage meaningful comparisons and to inflate their profit margin.

Someone who knows what they are talking about and will help you make meaningful comparisons based on materials and construction is your best friend when you are mattress shopping. Finding them and avoiding those who don’t or won’t is more than half the battle.

Phoenix

Do you know of any in Louisiana .

Hi Pooswa,

There’s not a lot of factory direct manufacturers in most of Louisiana that I know of but there are a few in Baton Rouge.

http://www.wholesalemattressfactory.com/ Baton Rouge, LA. They have been in business for a very long time and make all types of mattresses using any material “the old fashioned way” with good quality and value. they will custom build whatever a customer may want. Open and honest and what I call “mattress people”.

http://www.capitalbed.com/ Baton rouge, LA. Another “old time” factory direct manufacturer who sells mainly wholesale to retail outlets across the state but will sell retail to a customer who walks in their door. Also carries a range of different types of mattresses on their floor including latex, memory foam, and traditional mattresses. Also very open and honest and “mattress people”.

http://www.istroumamattressfactory.com/ Baton rouge, LA. Yet another “old time” smaller (2 man) manufacturer who has been in business for decades. They also manufacture a range of mattresses of using higher quality materials including traditional innerspring/polyfoam, memory foam, and latex hybrids.

EDIT: There is one other factory direct manufacturer that I discovered and talked with today in Lafayette (see post #179 here).

They are https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irwins-Mattress/184156004978427 or http://www.irwinsmattress.com/ and I talked with the 3rd generation of family ownership Scott and they are making mattresses of all types including memory foam, talalay latex, and innersprings and use better quality materials and construction methods than you will see in typical chain stores and major brands. I guess Baton Rouge isn’t the only local manufacturing happening in Louisiana.

If you are not near any of these and let me know the city you live in I may know of some better retail outlets near you.

NOTE: There is an updated Baton Rouge list in post #191 here.

Phoenix

Thanks …I live in lafaytette so I will check out the one here…if you can find some some good retail places I can trust I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks again…

Hi Pooswa,

I did a fairly thorough search in and around Lafayette and based on online information at least, I really didn’t see any other outlet that had mattresses that I would seriously consider. Most of them with only a very few exceptions carry only major brands which IMO don’t have the same value as what you could purchase at Irwins Mattress mart.

Phoenix

i live in mckinney tx. north of dallas tx. what stores would you suggest i check here?

Hi cliffkat,

I linked this in your other post but I’ll add a link to the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Dallas area here as well for those who read this thread down the road.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

My name is Levi and I would like to say that I am feel very fortunate to have stumbled across your site. I almost purchased a new mattress today at Mattress Firm in Fairview Heights Illinois but decided at the last minute to hold off and do a little bit of research. Boy am I happy I did.

I am also from the St. Louis area. Out of the places that you mentioned in the St. Louis area is there any where in particular that you would go where you can really try out the different mattresses? If you were me, where would you start your search for a latex or foam mattress? I cannot figure out whether I want a latex or foam mattress, hardly know the difference.

I checked out the website in Herrig and there only seemed to be a two choices.

Anyways, thanks a lot for all of the valuable information you provide on this topic.

Would you consider Denver Mattress a good bed???

Doctor’s Choice Euro Top by Denver Mattress King Mattress Only

Hi levipainter,

Denver Mattress would normally be one of the better quality/value options available to people where they have an outlet yes … at least if you are focusing on the line of mattresses they make and not the major brands they also carry.

Which of the specific mattresses they make however that may be a good choice for you would depend entirely on which one best matches your needs and preferences and the results of your own specific testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and your own “personal value equation”.

Phoenix

Hi,
Where would you recommend I shop in the Cleveland, Ohio area? So glad we found this site before purchasing, we’ve been putting off a new mattress for way too long.

Hi Robert,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the general Cleveland area are listed in post #2 here.

Make sure though that you don’t treat any of the lists on the forum as “recommendations” but as “possibilities” where your odds are much higher of finding a suitable mattress with good quality and value. No matter who you buy from it’s always important to make sure that they can provide you with the details of every layer in any mattress you are considering so you can make meaningful comparisons and identify any potential weak links in the mattress … usually in the comfort layers … that may affect how long the mattress will continue to provide you with the support and comfort that meets your needs and preferences in the long term as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for the company information. i will look into each company for the best deal.
Bird Feather