Flexus Body Print, Any user info?

I’m looking to purchase a new bed. I’ve read a lot of posts on this site which have been very helpful in filtering the good from the bad. My wife likes the bed we have, but I’m not too thrilled. Based on my research (reading posts here) I think that an innerspring latex hybrid is the best bet for me. I live in NJ, 08701, and I would prefer to find someone loacally so that I can try the mattress, but I havent found anyone. I work within a short commute to Scott Jordan in NYC, but the Berkley Ergo is a bit out of my budget. The Flexus Body Print seems to be what I’m looking for, but I’m obviously not in a position to try it. I’m curious, if anyone has any info on it?

My current bed is a dux 1001, which is basically a coil bed with a pillow top. I find it a bit to unconforming, and too bouncy, and I think the foam layer in addition to the latex of the flexus will make it softer and more conforming especially with extra latex top.

P.S. Thanks for the great site!

Hi Iyor,

I don’t have any personal experience with it but they will provide you with any information you need about it. Hopefully, someone that has one will see your post but I would also keep in mind that a mattress can feel and perform completely differently for someone else than it would for you.

You can see more details about the Leggett & Platt for 3 zone Body Print pocket coil.

FootPrint: lpbodyprint.com/documents/3zone.pdf

There are a few possibilities in the Central NJ area listed in post #2 here that may be worth calling to see if they have a mattress that fits your criteria on their floor but there are not a lot of options in your general area. The Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton list here and the Monroe Township list here would probably have more options available for a similar type of mattress although they may involve a longer drive.

Phoenix

did you ever buy the Flexus Body Print, if so can you report back your experience?

I just wanted to let you know that I tried the body print mattress and really loved it. I’m not quite sold on latex foam mattresses but have to admit the ones at plexus really felt great. But being the old school guy I am and I know I’m comfortable Bowl with innerspring mattresses I’m looking to buy one in the firm this weekend. I tried custom comforts which are built really well the cost almost twice the price for the same quality of mattress and of course I’ve been to ortho sit and sleep all the others and under wild by their one-sided mattresses. I will give you a real good review when I have mine and have slept on it for a week or two.

Hi joecarnut,

Thanks for taking the time to register and share your experience at Flexus … I appreciate it!

I’m also looking forward to your feedback when you have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Do any other online retailers sell a Body Print coil hybrid bed? How much would a mattress like this cost to ship cross country being it can’t be rolled up like foam layer beds? What’s a typical warranty and return policy on these types mattresses?

I too think a coil bed may be best for me, after trying latex foam and memory foam beds they both cause lower back pain from my pelvis sinking in too much. I think this trizone body print coil system might do the trick to keep my butt from not sinking in so much (back sleeper).

Can’t find a local store with this type bed so online buying seems to be only option… Hence shipping costs and return policies are very important.

Hi needanewmattress,

I don’t know which of them use Body Print pocket coils and there are other zoned pocket coils as well but post #2 here has some links to some latex innerspring hybrid mattresses that you could look through or talk to to find out more information about the springs they use.

While warranties can vary and aren’t an indication of the useful life of a mattress … a fairly “standard” warranty for a high quality latex hybrid mattress would be somewhere in the range of 10 years non prorated.

I don’t know the shipping costs but you could call some of them to find out what it would cost to ship their mattresses to your location. Some pocket coils can be roll packed for shipping so they can be shipped by courier but this will vary by manufacturer. Bay Bed for example is a tri zone pocket coil that is a component pocket coil/latex hybrid that can be shipped through courier and I believe that Arizona Premium’s latex/pocket coil hybrid also ships compressed through courier.

Phoenix

Thank you, is pocket coil the best type coil system to use? Hybrid just means latex or polyfoam ontop of coils? Are hybrid matttresses some of the newer concepts in bedding?

Hi needanewmattress,

There really is no “best” type of innerspring because it depends on preferences and on which type of innerspring is inside the mattress “as a whole” that is the best match for you in terms of PPP. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

A a pocket coil is a good choice for those that prefer less motion transfer in their mattress and it is also more contouring than innersprings that have coils that are joined together with helical wires. In some cases they can be less durable than other types of innersprings but this is not usually an issue because the support core of a mattress is rarely the weakest link in a mattress.

A hybrid means a combination of two standard mattress categories. As an example a hybrid between a latex mattress which uses latex from top to bottom and an innerspring mattress which generally uses an innerspring with polyfoam comfort layers would be a latex/innerspring hybrid. Another example would be a mattress which uses memory foam over innersprings because a memory foam mattress usually has memory foam comfort layers and a polyfoam support core so it would be a hybrid between a typical memory foam mattress and a typical innerspring mattress. It’s a “loose” term in other words with no exact definition which is used to provide a very general description of a mattress that is a combination of two different mattress categories.

They aren’t particularly new no but they are becoming more common in the industry as manufacturers look for ways to combine materials and components together in different ways to take advantage of the properties and strengths of different materials and components and to differentiate themselves from other manufacturers.

Phoenix

thanks for your help. honestly there is just too many choices, too much info and it’s all a bit overwhelming. I’m just looking for “specific” manufacturers you recommend that make quality hybrid tri-zone coil mattresses which they can ship. called a couple of the listed manufacturers under your membership section and was not impressed with their customer service or knowledge over the phone.

Hi needanewmattress,

My previous replies such as …

… explain why I don’t recommend specific mattresses … only a process that can help you find a mattress that is “best for you”.

All the manufacturers that are members here are very knowledgeable about their own mattresses but you may be asking questions that aren’t relevant, meaningful, or are not possible to provide a specific answer.

The process you are following of trying to design or choose your mattress based on components or specs are unlikely to lead to making the most suitable choice (unless you have years of experience designing mattresses and are familiar with all the variations in the components and materials you are considering). Even an experienced designer will often be surprised that what mattress was “supposed” to feel like in theory is very different from what it feels like in “real life”. I would encourage you to follow the steps in the tutorial post one step at a time which will give you the best chance of success.

Phoenix

thank you. Here’s the problem… I don’t have anybody local (besides the big bedding stores) that make the beds I want to look at. So I have no choice but to do this research online and based on lots of reading on this website and your helpful links, I need to gather a list of things I want in a bed and then seek out those reputable good quality manufacturers (preferrably members of your site) in order to look at their specific offerings, compare pricing and materials used.

So with that being said… here is what I want in my next bed based on the research I’ve done and prior experiences I’ve had with many different mattresses.

1.) I want a coil bed. Whether it’s hybrid or not in terminology I don’t really care. But I want coils and most likely ‘pocket coils’ are what I’m after. I have had full latex and memory foam beds, I’m not a fan of them at all. They have great features like being able to swap layers, rearrange firmness, etc. but at the end of the day they are still not coil springs. I don’t care how much of density/ILD or whatever these fancy foams have, I have bought the best and was extremely unhappy with the experience (after many months of trying different laying configurations, etc.). They still never felt as supportive as coil mattresses do for me (I understand everybody is unique and likes different things… but for me it doesn’t work).
I would much prefer a 3 zoned pocket coil system as my biggest issue is and has always been my pelvis/butt sinking too far into the mattress when sleeping on my back. this causes me to wake up with a lot of lower back pain. But getting a very firm mattress will help the pelvic/butt sinking issue but then introduce an issue on my shoulders, I have wide shoulders and back in relation to my hips. So if trying to sleep on my side, a very firm bed will cause me pressure points on my shoulders. The ideal situation is for my shoulders to be over something softer which allows them to sink in more, and my pelvis/butt to be over something firmer which prevents them from sinking in too far. I have faith this will correct my issue. Why? because right now I’m sleeping with a folded towel about 1" thick under my butt to prevent it from sinking into my air mattress as much as the rest of my body, it helps, but does not totally correct my lower back pain upon waking in the morning.

2.) I want to buy from a company that gives high value in materials without costing a fortune, I’m trying to stay under $1,500 for an eastern king size and maximizing value of quality components the best I can. I would prefer buying from a smaller business that pays attention to their customers.

3.) Since this would have to be purchased sight unseen, a return policy is very important. I understand a coil mattress is going to be more expensive to ship since it can’t be rolled up and compressed like a foam layer can… but I will not buy from a place that offers no return policy. Case in point, in calling one of the member companies, the first person on the phone said yes the bed is returnable for a 100% money return (I just have to cover the return shipping), upon asking more technical details about the quality of the foam used ontop of the coils, another person got on the phone and explained, then confirming the return policy they said no return policy on coil beds). This contradicting information on the same phone call makes a buyer extremely hesitant to buy.

Given these above points, I was hoping you knew of member companies that had specific offerings that fit these requests. I don’t have a ton of time to research ever different manufacturer/bed, so was hoping you could offer your best of the best options since you are way more knowledge and experienced in mattresses.

Thank you for the excellent information.

Hi needanewmattress,

If a zoned pocket spring is one of your main criteria then it would be a matter of looking at the options that are available to you either locally or online (including the options that I linked previously) and asking about their springs so you can find out whether they meet your criteria. The specifics of all the thousands of mattresses that are available through the information on the site isn’t something that I keep in my head so this is a part of your research that you would need to do based on the information on their websites or with a phone call.

There are three main parts to the value of a mattress purchase that are discussed in post #13 here.

The first of these is suitability or what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are hundreds of different versions of pocket coils and pocket coil mattresses that are very different from each other and some of them may be suitable for your body type and sleeping positions and preferences and some of them may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on even though they are in the same “category” or use a similar type of support core. The only way to confirm whether any mattress is a good match for you is based on your own personal testing or experience. If you can’t test a mattress before a purchase or if you aren’t confident that your testing would be a reliable way to know whether a mattress is suitable for you then the only effective way to decide on whether to consider a particular mattress or have any idea about whether it may be suitable for you would be based on a more detailed conversation with an online manufacturer or retailer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success based on “averages” of other customers that are similar to you (and you may or may not be inside the averages that they use). In this case the options you have after a purchase would likely become a much more important part of the “value” of your purchase so you can use your actual sleeping experience to decide on whether the mattress is suitable for you and can return it or fine tune it for a reasonable cost if it’s not.

The second most important part of the “value” of your mattress purchase involves durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to the other mattresses that you are considering. This is where knowing the information about the materials and components in a mattress are important so you can identify any lower quality and less durable materials or weak links in a mattress. Specs are not an effective way to decide on the suitability of a mattress but they are the only way to have any meaningful idea about the durability and useful life of a mattress because you can’t “feel” the quality or durability of the materials in a mattress. Poor quality and less durable materials can feel exactly the same in a showroom or when a mattress is new as higher quality and more durable materials. They just don’t last as long before they soften and break down and you are no longer sleeping well on them.

Once you have put together a list of finalists that you believe would be suitable for you in terms of PPP (either based on your own testing or on more detailed conversations with online manufacturers or retailers) and you have confirmed that they all use high quality materials and don’t have any weak links in their design … then the final part of deciding on which mattress is the “best value for you” would be to compare them for “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would always keep in mind that the types of mattress that you tend to prefer is a personal preference but that regardless of which type of mattress you may prefer that you won’t be able to know whether a mattress in that “category” will be suitable for you based on “comfort” specs but that the specs about the quality of the materials inside a mattress are the only reliable way to know whether a mattress has any lower quality materials or any weak links in the design.

In my previous replies I linked the pocket coil /latex hybrids I’m aware of which along with the members here that sell innerspring mattresses online that are linked in the tutorial post and the local lists I linked will give you a place to start but I don’t keep a record of mattress specs for specific mattresses in my head or in a database (it would be impossible for anyone to keep up with this in a market that includes thousands of mattresses that are constantly changing) so you would need to use this as a starting point and check websites or make some calls to help you narrow down the choices that you wish to consider.

I can certainly act as a “fact check” or help you differentiate lower quality materials from higher quality materials but only you can decide on preference choices or whether you believe any particular mattress would be suitable for you to sleep on or depending on the return or exchange policies whether it would be worth the “risk” if you aren’t certain.

Phoenix

I just purchased a cal-king Body Print double-sided mattress from Flexus Comfort today. They come in two different firmnesses of latex comfort layers. I chose the firmer one and if I decide I need softer later, I can add a latex topper for a fairly decent price… The foundations come in 5" and 8" sizes and I chose the 8" to keep it higher.
I dealt with James who was very helpful and he changed out the latex mattress layers in a few different ways for me to check as well as testing the innerspring I bought.
To me I like the feel of latex on top of the buoyancy feel of springs. Maybe for my next mattress I’ll buy a latex. Time will tell if I made the right choice. But I got a better price than expected as well as the mattressUnderground discount.

I will let you in on the pros and cons in a month of sleeping on it. Have a good Thanksgiving!.

I’m due to receive my mattress today and I called Flexus to see if it was to late to pay and have my old mattress halled away and he mentioned that they had a problem getting some material which was wool and it would be cotton instead. I think this is for the outer layer? Anyways will that be a negative effect as I believe I read on here that wool has a wicking effect with moisture? Thanks for any info.
Ken

Hi joecarnut,

I saw the post you wrote earlier (now deleted) about the change in the cover so I called Henry to ask about it and it seems that you also talked with him today and clarified that it was just a change in the color of the fabric and not the materials in the cover.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for checking into my situation, you are awesome. Yes, I deleted my post when Henry cleared it up for me and I didn’t want anybody to think there are any issues with them. I only want good businesses like theirs to succeed. I had misunderstood what James told me when I had called him about taking away my old mattresses. BTW, free delivery and only $25 to haul away my cal-king set was well worth it.

I just got the mattress set less than a hour ago and it feels great! It’s an overall light, tan, color where in the showroom it was green on the sides. They used a different color of fabricl made of the same as the green. But it feels the same and that is what counts. Looks very well made as the experts in our house have very sharp eyes for flaws. I bought a SafeRest premium mattress protector from Discount Mattress Lady and they matched an Amazon price.
Jack and his helper came out and set it up real nice and I’m looking forward to sleeping on it tonight. I 'll let you know how this mattress feels as the weeks go. Glad you have this website, it’s a valuable resource and I intend to tell others about it as well as Flexus.

Hi joecarnut,

I’m looking forward to your feedback … and thanks for the kind words as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

What configuration and pricing did you end up with? I’m considering a King size body print with or without the extra layer of latex?

Does the tri zone system work good in the heavier lumbar area?

I got the Cal-King Body Print with the firmer latex inside it. No latex topper…yet. Got the 8" foundation. It feels firmer than in the showroom but I’ve only been on it two nights now and last night felt a bit better. I think with a mattress protector and a mattress sheet cover on it like ours it may compress it a bit where in the showroom you are laying right on the mattress. And of course breaking in the mattress and our needing to adjust to it.

I paid $1840 approximently OTD for the set and an additional $25 to have the old mattress set hauled away.

I chose the firmer mattress and if it remains that way will get a latex topper to soften it up. Harder to firm it up later than to soften it up.