Flexus Comfort Latex Mattress - Experiences and Ongoing Feedback

March 27 - Friday

Initial impressions on the morning after my first night on the new mattress.

1. My old 12+ year old Sterns and Foster mattress had become a hammock essentially. So the first 30 minutes on the new mattress just felt awkward. As a back sleeper I had been accustomed to waking in the morning with lumbar region pain from the lack of proper support. And suddenly for the first time in a long time last night, that support was there. It almost felt as though there was a hump under my lower back. And it just didnā€™t fell ā€œrightā€ - although I do believe it is right! My lower back shouldnā€™t settle into a cradle position - it should be supported. And I wouldnā€™t call it uncomfortable per se - just different, and initially awkward. Itā€™ll take a few weeks to get used to the feel, I presume. But hereā€™s the real kickerā€¦ after 7 hours of sleep and no rolling overā€¦ no lower back pain this morning. Simply stated: Wow!

2. You really donā€™t get the feel for a latex mattress in the stores. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there. It doesnā€™t simulate an entire night very well. I can best describe the feeling as the mattress is now conforming to me, instead of me conforming to my mattress. This is how it should be, but again, when youā€™re not used to it - it does feel a bit awkward. But you just canā€™t argue with the results. Getting out of bed in the morning with nary a groan - priceless.

3. The Flexus ā€œsoftā€ Talalay comfort layer vs the ā€œmediumā€ Talalay comfort layer ā€“ the difference in feel is quite subtle. On my back, the lumbar support from the softer latex is slightly less. There is less of a ā€œhumpā€ feeling in the lower back region for me. But that is trending toward the hammock position which is just not supportive and I donā€™t want to go back there! Medium is probably going to turn out to have been the right choice. But only more time will tell for sure.

4. Aside from the above, one additional observation after the first night on latex - and coming from an inner spring - is the ā€œJelloā€ sensation. Itā€™s subtle, but everything feels just a tad jiggly. And for some reason I pictured myself laying on a giant bed of firm Jello.

And finally, the finished product. One Flexus 10" natural latex mattress on their 8" foundation after one restful nightā€™s sleep. Minimalist in the extreme on the covers - it was warm last night!

Hi LJGMDAD,

Thanks for the first night feedback :

As you mentioned there will be a few weeks of adjustment to get used to the feel of a new mattress that is different from what you have become accustomed to but your first nightā€™s results sound very promising!

Phoenix

March 28 - Saturday

Second night on the new mattress (no I wonā€™t be reporting back every night!) complete.

OK, again, Iā€™m a back sleeper. And now I have to say the arch sensation under my lower back feels uncomfortable. Again this morning I havenā€™t awaken with lower back pain. Sitting up and getting out of bed was no problem this morning, and it had been for many months on the old mattress. But I do have what would probably best described as lower back stiffness - where I feel it needs to be stretched out. And as I lay in bed before getting up, the lower back arch is very noticeable and uncomfortable.

I keep telling myself that my body needs time to adjust - the muscles need to adjust. Like the first time you work out after a break. But thatā€™s not helping me get comfortable. :wink: So I do think it makes sense to try elevating my legs below my knees as shown below because I donā€™t think this is a case of the mattress being too firm. There are no additional pressure points per se. Phoenix what are you thoughts? This is recommended for back sleepers on many websites. I wonder if the feet should be support by a second pillow, or if the position shown below with the pillow just below the knees is the right way to go? And I assume a pretty thin and plush pillow is the way to go?

Hi LJGMDAD,

You are telling yourself the right thing and it can take a few weeks for the mattress to break in and for your body to get used to a different sleeping surface that is different from the one you are used to (see post #3 here).

Using a pillow under your knees (in the way you are using it) can also help to decompress the spine and improve alignment for back sleepers (see post #45 here). The pillow under the knees doesnā€™t need to be ā€œthinā€ and a thicker pillow will raise the knees a little more and would also be fine (and may even work better). Itā€™s not necessary to use a pillow under your feet.

Phoenix

OK thanks again for the input, Phoenix. Iā€™m thinking also that my Tempurpedic pillow needs to go. Iā€™ll search the forum for advice on picking the right pillow, and then see what they have at the NMS near me.

Hi LJGMDAD,

The pillow topic here may be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

March 29 - Sunday

Last night I placed a single plush pillow under my knees, and what a difference it made. The uncomfortable arch sensation in my lower back was significantly reduced. It was certainly reduced to the point where it was no longer uncomfortable and I slept like a baby. I can not remember how long it has been since I closed my eyes, didnā€™t awaken once until the sun was shining the next morning, and was in the same position in the morning where I feel asleep the night before.

Now, on the downside, I decided to switch pillows. Iā€™ve got a few spares lying around for a spare bedroom and guests, etc. Mistake. Theyā€™re extremely cheap and unsupportive compared to my Tempurpedic. I currently own this pillow. And it works well for me. It supports my neck, and itā€™s comfortable. But my complaint is the excessive perspiration it causes.

So Iā€™ve been thinking that a firmer, low loft latex pillow might work just as well. Iā€™m aware of the Z pillow by Malouf, but the pricing is just silly. So now Iā€™m thinking this pillow might be a good compromise. Itā€™s Dunlop as opposed to Talalay which I tend to think might be what I want for a pillow. However, the Simmons Beautyrest latex (blended Talalay) is very tempting as well. Some people refer to it as the poor manā€™s Malouf. And Iā€™d be curious if anyone here has compared the two. The Malouf has a soft and firm version, where the Sealy does not and some reviews seem to indicate it has changed in the last couple of years to a less firm design. Other complaints with it include the odor.

LJGMDAD,

I canā€™t believe how much the Malouf zoned pillow has gone up. We purchased ours (the high loft plush) for $39.99 in Oct, 2011.

Ours didnā€™t have any significant odor.

Phoenix

April 2 - Thursday

OK Iā€™m at the one week mark today. The mattress has definitely broken in since day 1. I feel a bit more sunken in than I did at first. And in fact time will tell if I need to firm it up, but Iā€™m sticking with it for now. The lower back / lumbar support no longer feels unnatural. Iā€™m almost used to it. I am however still allowing my body to adjust. Though I try to stay off my side, I do find the need to roll over to my side about once a night to help stretch out my back. And Iā€™m hoping this subsides over time too.

So far, no major problems. And I can definitely attest to the:

1. Breakin time required for latex.
  2. Personal adjustment period required for a new mattress.

Iā€™m going to assess my posture this evening. Rig a mirror in the right way, or whatever. I just want to make sure Iā€™m not sinking in too much, starting to form a V shape, etc.

Still happy with the purchase overall. Still need more time to adjust.

EDIT: Iā€™ve assessed my posture this evening and itā€™s ā€œpicture perfectā€. So itā€™s comforting (so to speak) to know that at least for now the mattress is just right!

Thanks for updates on your experience with Flexus Comfort. Keep it coming.

I ended up ordering my mattress from Sleep EZ due to comparable pricing and the shredded latex pillows they included. I really like the pillows! The latex ā€˜shredsā€™ are fine (approximately gravel-sized) and you can move it around in the pillow to mold/shape it like damp sand at the beach to get the contours you want before you lay down on it. Also, Nest Beddingā€™s pillows are a mix of batting and foam shreds/pebbles that you might like.

Iā€™ll post separately about my Sleep EZ mattress soon. Due to travel, Iā€™ve only been able to sleep on it 2 nights so far, but so far so good!

[quote=ā€œhapa_dudeā€ post=50974]Thanks for updates on your experience with Flexus Comfort. Keep it coming.

I ended up ordering my mattress from Sleep EZ due to comparable pricing and the shredded latex pillows they included. I really like the pillows! The latex ā€˜shredsā€™ are fine (approximately gravel-sized) and you can move it around in the pillow to mold/shape it like damp sand at the beach to get the contours you want before you lay down on it. Also, Nest Beddingā€™s pillows are a mix of batting and foam shreds/pebbles that you might like.

Iā€™ll post separately about my Sleep EZ mattress soon. Due to travel, Iā€™ve only been able to sleep on it 2 nights so far, but so far so good!
[/quote]

You did good. Iā€™d be interested to know what you got from SleepEZ.

I ended up purchasing a Z pillow knockoff from Linen Spa and it was still a ripoff at $75 but I can return it for a full refund if I donā€™t like it. Itā€™s not here yet.

New topic split from a reply to post #28 in this topic

Great thread. I also bought my new mattress from Flexus Comfort and was impressed with the place, information, and delivery (I live in LA).

I had a bit of a disagreement with my sleeping partner: firm versus medium. Firm won out (and it wasnā€™t my choice). The first several nights felt as if we were sleeping on a conrete ledge. I was sore, mostly in the lower back. After a couple of weeks, I felt I was run over by a truck and opted for a 4" wool topper (at a family-run place in Wisconsin mentioned here). It felt far better immediately and itā€™s a surprisingly substantial topper. However, I have to really shake it and flip it every week, no doubt about that. Itā€™s behaving as promised in that you do wind up with a custom-made indentation where you sleep, but Iā€™m not sure this is going to work out either.

Flexus Comfort also offers latex toppers, and I was thinking of talking it over with Henry or James. Iā€™ve tried hastening the break-in process of the mattress by walking on it, although admittedly just started doing that. Itā€™s been two months now so Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to soften much more. Whether or not a softer Talalay topper might help isnā€™t exactly clear to me.

Any thoughts?

Artsdoc

Hi Artsdoc,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your questions and my replies wouldnā€™t end up taking the original topic in a different direction.

The impressions will tend to even out to some degree over time if you make a point of sleeping on different parts of the topper but a wool topper wonā€™t have the same ā€œfeelā€ as a softer latex topper (see post #8 here and the posts it links to for more about wool toppers). For those that prefer the feel of sleeping on a thicker layer of wool nothing else will do but of course each person will have their own preferences about how different materials ā€œfeelā€ and perform and which materials they prefer to sleep on. Natural fibers like wool are certainly different (and generally feel firmer) than softer latex toppers.

[quote]Flexus Comfort also offers latex toppers, and I was thinking of talking it over with Henry or James. Iā€™ve tried hastening the break-in process of the mattress by walking on it, although admittedly just started doing that. Itā€™s been two months now so Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to soften much more. Whether or not a softer Talalay topper might help isnā€™t exactly clear to me.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

There are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful (including a link to some topper guidelines that can help you choose a topper if you do decide to go in that direction) but after two months itā€™s quite likely that you are past the normal break in and adjustment period and if the other ā€œnon mattressā€ suggestions arenā€™t enough then it would certainly be worthwhile talking with Henry or James about either exchanging a layer in your mattress or adding a softer topper to your sleeping system. They are certainly knowledgeable and experienced with helping their customers with these types of issues and would be able to give you good guidance about the options they have available that would help you customize the mattress so that itā€™s a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Now that you are more familiar with how your original choices work for you in terms of PPP in ā€œreal lifeā€ and since you are local to them you are in a good position to be able to test any new layer combinations or a topper you are considering in person and assess whether they would be a better ā€œmatchā€ for you than the layers that you chose originally.

Phoenix

I donā€™t want to hijack your thread but since you asked, I got a split queen 10" mattress with all Talalay blended layers. Both sides are, from top to bottom, soft/med/firm since Iā€™m a side sleeper. Iā€™m going to play around with the layers to see what works best for me as I feel some slight lower back pain but my bottom arm is no longer falling asleep like with my previous mattress. I ordered last Tuesday evening and they shipped it Wednesday, and UPS delivered on Monday.

New topic split from a reply to post #2 in this topic

What do you think about these toppers? ā€œAll Naturalā€ Latex Toppers for dirt cheap. (Compared to the ones offered by RoalPedics). Thinking about getting a topper if my mattress is too firm also.

https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers

Hi incognito,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it doesnā€™t get mixed up with another posterā€™s questions.

[quote]What do you think about these toppers? ā€œAll Naturalā€ Latex Toppers for dirt cheap. (Compared to the ones offered by RoalPedics). Thinking about getting a topper if my mattress is too firm also.

sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers[/quote]

Almost anything is ā€œdirt cheapā€ compared to Royal-Pedic :slight_smile:

You can see my thoughts about Karl and Sleeponlatex in post #4 here and post #3 here and a forum search on ā€œsleeponlatexā€ will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. They are certainly a reliable supplier of latex components and toppers which is why they are one of the suppliers that are included in the component supplier list here.

For those who prefer the feel of 100% natural Dunlop latex and in the right thickness and firmness they could certainly be a good choice.

Phoenix

hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. Itā€™s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?

Hi Gfurio,

The first thing I would check is your foundation to see if it could be the cause of your ā€œdipā€.

Itā€™s also possible that when you put the mattress together that the layers arenā€™t resting evenly or completely flat inside the cover and could be bunched or stretched. Latex is very stretchy and tacky and itā€™s usually best to ā€œwaveā€ the layers into position so that they are evenly distributed inside the cover.

You can also put the individual layers on the floor and then use a string or straight edge across the layer to confirm that none of them have any impressions.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œGfurioā€ post=51006]hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. Itā€™s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?[/quote]

Youā€™re welcome, Gfurio. No dips whatsoever. As Phoenix has indicated, a dip in the middle is unlikely due to the mattress. It is more likely due to a lack of support in the middle section underneath the mattress.

If you bought the Flexus foundation also, you notice there is a center rail which supports the slats. My bed frame has a center cross member that lines up exactly with the center support on the foundation. This cross member has 3 legs (end, middle, head) which support that center rail. The legs are adjustable in height, and I have them adjusted so that they nominally lift the foundation just a bit and everything flattens out under the weight of the mattress and people. The result is a flat mattress.

If you didnā€™t buy the Flexus foundation, then whatever youā€™re using might be inadequate. These foundations should be rigid (not box springs) and should be very well supported.

So, I suspect youā€™re got a bed frame support issue, so look there first.

April 6 - Monday

Update - I can feel the mattress is softening up on the top layer and forming zones. In other words when I push down on the mattress, the area where by butt goes is less resistant now than the area where, say, my feet go. Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s softening up a bit more than I want.

Phoenix, from top to bottom right now I have Medium Talalay ā†’ Medium Dunlop ā†’ Firm Dunlop. If I were to rearrange this to Medium Talalay ā†’ Firm Dunlop ā†’ Medium Dunlop would I notice much of a difference? I think Iā€™m going to want to firm it up just a bit soon. But will give it a week or so more before changing anything.

Thanks!