Flexus Comfort Latex Mattress - Experiences and Ongoing Feedback

[quote=ā€œhapa_dudeā€ post=50974]Thanks for updates on your experience with Flexus Comfort. Keep it coming.

I ended up ordering my mattress from Sleep EZ due to comparable pricing and the shredded latex pillows they included. I really like the pillows! The latex ā€˜shredsā€™ are fine (approximately gravel-sized) and you can move it around in the pillow to mold/shape it like damp sand at the beach to get the contours you want before you lay down on it. Also, Nest Beddingā€™s pillows are a mix of batting and foam shreds/pebbles that you might like.

Iā€™ll post separately about my Sleep EZ mattress soon. Due to travel, Iā€™ve only been able to sleep on it 2 nights so far, but so far so good!
[/quote]

You did good. Iā€™d be interested to know what you got from SleepEZ.

I ended up purchasing a Z pillow knockoff from Linen Spa and it was still a ripoff at $75 but I can return it for a full refund if I donā€™t like it. Itā€™s not here yet.

New topic split from a reply to post #28 in this topic

Great thread. I also bought my new mattress from Flexus Comfort and was impressed with the place, information, and delivery (I live in LA).

I had a bit of a disagreement with my sleeping partner: firm versus medium. Firm won out (and it wasnā€™t my choice). The first several nights felt as if we were sleeping on a conrete ledge. I was sore, mostly in the lower back. After a couple of weeks, I felt I was run over by a truck and opted for a 4" wool topper (at a family-run place in Wisconsin mentioned here). It felt far better immediately and itā€™s a surprisingly substantial topper. However, I have to really shake it and flip it every week, no doubt about that. Itā€™s behaving as promised in that you do wind up with a custom-made indentation where you sleep, but Iā€™m not sure this is going to work out either.

Flexus Comfort also offers latex toppers, and I was thinking of talking it over with Henry or James. Iā€™ve tried hastening the break-in process of the mattress by walking on it, although admittedly just started doing that. Itā€™s been two months now so Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to soften much more. Whether or not a softer Talalay topper might help isnā€™t exactly clear to me.

Any thoughts?

Artsdoc

Hi Artsdoc,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your questions and my replies wouldnā€™t end up taking the original topic in a different direction.

The impressions will tend to even out to some degree over time if you make a point of sleeping on different parts of the topper but a wool topper wonā€™t have the same ā€œfeelā€ as a softer latex topper (see post #8 here and the posts it links to for more about wool toppers). For those that prefer the feel of sleeping on a thicker layer of wool nothing else will do but of course each person will have their own preferences about how different materials ā€œfeelā€ and perform and which materials they prefer to sleep on. Natural fibers like wool are certainly different (and generally feel firmer) than softer latex toppers.

[quote]Flexus Comfort also offers latex toppers, and I was thinking of talking it over with Henry or James. Iā€™ve tried hastening the break-in process of the mattress by walking on it, although admittedly just started doing that. Itā€™s been two months now so Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to soften much more. Whether or not a softer Talalay topper might help isnā€™t exactly clear to me.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

There are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful (including a link to some topper guidelines that can help you choose a topper if you do decide to go in that direction) but after two months itā€™s quite likely that you are past the normal break in and adjustment period and if the other ā€œnon mattressā€ suggestions arenā€™t enough then it would certainly be worthwhile talking with Henry or James about either exchanging a layer in your mattress or adding a softer topper to your sleeping system. They are certainly knowledgeable and experienced with helping their customers with these types of issues and would be able to give you good guidance about the options they have available that would help you customize the mattress so that itā€™s a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Now that you are more familiar with how your original choices work for you in terms of PPP in ā€œreal lifeā€ and since you are local to them you are in a good position to be able to test any new layer combinations or a topper you are considering in person and assess whether they would be a better ā€œmatchā€ for you than the layers that you chose originally.

Phoenix

I donā€™t want to hijack your thread but since you asked, I got a split queen 10" mattress with all Talalay blended layers. Both sides are, from top to bottom, soft/med/firm since Iā€™m a side sleeper. Iā€™m going to play around with the layers to see what works best for me as I feel some slight lower back pain but my bottom arm is no longer falling asleep like with my previous mattress. I ordered last Tuesday evening and they shipped it Wednesday, and UPS delivered on Monday.

New topic split from a reply to post #2 in this topic

What do you think about these toppers? ā€œAll Naturalā€ Latex Toppers for dirt cheap. (Compared to the ones offered by RoalPedics). Thinking about getting a topper if my mattress is too firm also.

https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers

Hi incognito,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it doesnā€™t get mixed up with another posterā€™s questions.

[quote]What do you think about these toppers? ā€œAll Naturalā€ Latex Toppers for dirt cheap. (Compared to the ones offered by RoalPedics). Thinking about getting a topper if my mattress is too firm also.

sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers[/quote]

Almost anything is ā€œdirt cheapā€ compared to Royal-Pedic :slight_smile:

You can see my thoughts about Karl and Sleeponlatex in post #4 here and post #3 here and a forum search on ā€œsleeponlatexā€ will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. They are certainly a reliable supplier of latex components and toppers which is why they are one of the suppliers that are included in the component supplier list here.

For those who prefer the feel of 100% natural Dunlop latex and in the right thickness and firmness they could certainly be a good choice.

Phoenix

hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. Itā€™s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?

Hi Gfurio,

The first thing I would check is your foundation to see if it could be the cause of your ā€œdipā€.

Itā€™s also possible that when you put the mattress together that the layers arenā€™t resting evenly or completely flat inside the cover and could be bunched or stretched. Latex is very stretchy and tacky and itā€™s usually best to ā€œwaveā€ the layers into position so that they are evenly distributed inside the cover.

You can also put the individual layers on the floor and then use a string or straight edge across the layer to confirm that none of them have any impressions.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œGfurioā€ post=51006]hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. Itā€™s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?[/quote]

Youā€™re welcome, Gfurio. No dips whatsoever. As Phoenix has indicated, a dip in the middle is unlikely due to the mattress. It is more likely due to a lack of support in the middle section underneath the mattress.

If you bought the Flexus foundation also, you notice there is a center rail which supports the slats. My bed frame has a center cross member that lines up exactly with the center support on the foundation. This cross member has 3 legs (end, middle, head) which support that center rail. The legs are adjustable in height, and I have them adjusted so that they nominally lift the foundation just a bit and everything flattens out under the weight of the mattress and people. The result is a flat mattress.

If you didnā€™t buy the Flexus foundation, then whatever youā€™re using might be inadequate. These foundations should be rigid (not box springs) and should be very well supported.

So, I suspect youā€™re got a bed frame support issue, so look there first.

April 6 - Monday

Update - I can feel the mattress is softening up on the top layer and forming zones. In other words when I push down on the mattress, the area where by butt goes is less resistant now than the area where, say, my feet go. Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s softening up a bit more than I want.

Phoenix, from top to bottom right now I have Medium Talalay ā†’ Medium Dunlop ā†’ Firm Dunlop. If I were to rearrange this to Medium Talalay ā†’ Firm Dunlop ā†’ Medium Dunlop would I notice much of a difference? I think Iā€™m going to want to firm it up just a bit soon. But will give it a week or so more before changing anything.

Thanks!

Hi LJGMDAD,

Itā€™s probably a little early yet to consider making any changes (30 days would be better) unless you are experiencing actual ā€œsymptomsā€ of discomfort or pain that are getting worse and not just making changes based on a more subjective ā€œfeelā€ (see post #3 here) but most people would notice a difference if the medium and firm layers were switched yes.

Phoenix

Youā€™re probably right, of course. And Iā€™m not waking up in pain. Iā€™ve just still got what Iā€™d describe as lower back stiffness where immediately upon waking up I need to stretch out my lumbar region. And I can definitely notice more ā€œsinkageā€ into the mattress now than on day 1. Also, when laying flat, if I sort of lift my pelvis into the air, that does relieve the stiffness. Thus my thinking that a firmer surface would be a bit more comfortable over the course of 6-7 hours. See, I really need to sleep on my back due to CPAP usage. Laying on my side just causes leakage. But itā€™s only now in my middle years that staying on my back the entire night is becoming more difficult.

But hey only two short weeks ago I was waking up in agony each morning - so weā€™re miles ahead already!!!

Hi LJGMDAD,

If it does turn out that you need firmer support I would probably start with exchanging the firm and medium layers rather than changing the top layer which is more related to pressure relief than to the primary support of your mattress. There is also more about primary or ā€œdeepā€ support and secondary or ā€œsurfaceā€ support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the ā€œrolesā€ of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between ā€œsupportā€ and ā€œpressure reliefā€ and ā€œfeelā€.

Once step at a time but if there is such a big improvement already then the rest is normally just ā€œfine tuningā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

April 11 - Saturday

Someone had asked about the Flexus Comfort mattress cover. So I took a picture and here it is. You can see that what they ship is quilted on top and on the sides. It does not have the grey fabric on the sides as shown on their website.

They raised the price once word got out that it was Phoenixā€™s current pillow of choice.

Hi electricrelish,

Itā€™s not even my ā€œpillow of choiceā€ at the moment so at least they could lower the price again :unsure:

Phoenix

Well I had ordered a Z pillow knockoff, but there was some sort of shipping snafu and then they sold out. So the vendor emailed me today saying he was shipping a Z to me instead at no extra charge, and that the Z was definitely higher quality. Soā€¦ hey, itā€™s taking a little while but I guess Iā€™ll be getting a pretty decent deal on a Z. :slight_smile:

Hi LJGMDAD,

Thatā€™s good news ā€¦ I guess sometimes shipping delays can work in your favor :slight_smile:

Phoenix

April 17 - Friday

I received a Malouf Z Pillow yesterday and used it last night. I had previously been using a Tempurpedic memory foam pillow and as a back sleeper it had too much loft and not enough give. I was also sweating on it. So I now have a low loft firm Z. Initial observations: Itā€™s bouncy. This is often mentioned and I agree. However I donā€™t see this is a problem at all. I donā€™t bounce around when sleeping and didnā€™t notice this at night once. The low loft firm latex results in an improved neck posture for me on my back. This was the goal. Iā€™m now in a position where Iā€™m looking straight up at the ceiling instead of slightly cocked forward as before. And this pillow is supportive. Though it is low loft, it doesnā€™t ā€œbottom outā€ with my head on it, and I can feel the support under my neck. I also woke up without a sweaty head, so this is good. Lastly, the smell is pretty strong. Iā€™m sure it will subside, and itā€™s not a chemical smell - just a latex smell, but I find it a bit odd that the pillowā€™s latex smell fills a room where my brand new natural latex mattress did not. Any thoughts on that? Anyhow, overall, it seems to have been a good purchase.

One more update - I think my lower back stiffness is starting to improve on the new mattress. Itā€™s still there, but I am sleeping longer at night now before waking up with stiffness and the urge to roll over to get off my backā€¦ This is a slow process indeed. Still being patientā€¦

Hi LJGMDAD,

There is more about the typical smell of latex in post #2 here. Some batches of natural latex can be stronger than others and the smell can also be more noticeable to some people than others. It can also depend on the specifics of the latex foam formulations used by different manufacturers and on how long it has been wrapped (which prevents the material from airing out and can concentrate the smell). My Malouf pillow for example had very little smell when it was new but it should subside fairly rapidly.

Phoenix