Flexus Comfort Latex Mattress - Experiences and Ongoing Feedback

Hi incognito,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it doesn’t get mixed up with another poster’s questions.

[quote]What do you think about these toppers? “All Natural” Latex Toppers for dirt cheap. (Compared to the ones offered by RoalPedics). Thinking about getting a topper if my mattress is too firm also.

sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers[/quote]

Almost anything is “dirt cheap” compared to Royal-Pedic :slight_smile:

You can see my thoughts about Karl and Sleeponlatex in post #4 here and post #3 here and a forum search on “sleeponlatex” will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. They are certainly a reliable supplier of latex components and toppers which is why they are one of the suppliers that are included in the component supplier list here.

For those who prefer the feel of 100% natural Dunlop latex and in the right thickness and firmness they could certainly be a good choice.

Phoenix

hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. It’s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?

Hi Gfurio,

The first thing I would check is your foundation to see if it could be the cause of your “dip”.

It’s also possible that when you put the mattress together that the layers aren’t resting evenly or completely flat inside the cover and could be bunched or stretched. Latex is very stretchy and tacky and it’s usually best to “wave” the layers into position so that they are evenly distributed inside the cover.

You can also put the individual layers on the floor and then use a string or straight edge across the layer to confirm that none of them have any impressions.

Phoenix

[quote=“Gfurio” post=51006]hey LJGMDAD,

Thanks for your review.

Did you happen to notice any mattress dips or depressions with your Flexus mattress?

I also ordered one about 2 weeks ago and mine had a noticeable dip in it right out of the box. It’s right in the middle of the mattress. Also, the layers are not cut the same size it seems - when they are stacked, their widths seems off and makes the sides look lopsided. Just wondering if you noticed the same with your mattress?[/quote]

You’re welcome, Gfurio. No dips whatsoever. As Phoenix has indicated, a dip in the middle is unlikely due to the mattress. It is more likely due to a lack of support in the middle section underneath the mattress.

If you bought the Flexus foundation also, you notice there is a center rail which supports the slats. My bed frame has a center cross member that lines up exactly with the center support on the foundation. This cross member has 3 legs (end, middle, head) which support that center rail. The legs are adjustable in height, and I have them adjusted so that they nominally lift the foundation just a bit and everything flattens out under the weight of the mattress and people. The result is a flat mattress.

If you didn’t buy the Flexus foundation, then whatever you’re using might be inadequate. These foundations should be rigid (not box springs) and should be very well supported.

So, I suspect you’re got a bed frame support issue, so look there first.

April 6 - Monday

Update - I can feel the mattress is softening up on the top layer and forming zones. In other words when I push down on the mattress, the area where by butt goes is less resistant now than the area where, say, my feet go. I’m starting to think it’s softening up a bit more than I want.

Phoenix, from top to bottom right now I have Medium Talalay → Medium Dunlop → Firm Dunlop. If I were to rearrange this to Medium Talalay → Firm Dunlop → Medium Dunlop would I notice much of a difference? I think I’m going to want to firm it up just a bit soon. But will give it a week or so more before changing anything.

Thanks!

Hi LJGMDAD,

It’s probably a little early yet to consider making any changes (30 days would be better) unless you are experiencing actual “symptoms” of discomfort or pain that are getting worse and not just making changes based on a more subjective “feel” (see post #3 here) but most people would notice a difference if the medium and firm layers were switched yes.

Phoenix

You’re probably right, of course. And I’m not waking up in pain. I’ve just still got what I’d describe as lower back stiffness where immediately upon waking up I need to stretch out my lumbar region. And I can definitely notice more “sinkage” into the mattress now than on day 1. Also, when laying flat, if I sort of lift my pelvis into the air, that does relieve the stiffness. Thus my thinking that a firmer surface would be a bit more comfortable over the course of 6-7 hours. See, I really need to sleep on my back due to CPAP usage. Laying on my side just causes leakage. But it’s only now in my middle years that staying on my back the entire night is becoming more difficult.

But hey only two short weeks ago I was waking up in agony each morning - so we’re miles ahead already!!!

Hi LJGMDAD,

If it does turn out that you need firmer support I would probably start with exchanging the firm and medium layers rather than changing the top layer which is more related to pressure relief than to the primary support of your mattress. There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Once step at a time but if there is such a big improvement already then the rest is normally just “fine tuning” :slight_smile:

Phoenix

April 11 - Saturday

Someone had asked about the Flexus Comfort mattress cover. So I took a picture and here it is. You can see that what they ship is quilted on top and on the sides. It does not have the grey fabric on the sides as shown on their website.

They raised the price once word got out that it was Phoenix’s current pillow of choice.

Hi electricrelish,

It’s not even my “pillow of choice” at the moment so at least they could lower the price again :unsure:

Phoenix

Well I had ordered a Z pillow knockoff, but there was some sort of shipping snafu and then they sold out. So the vendor emailed me today saying he was shipping a Z to me instead at no extra charge, and that the Z was definitely higher quality. So… hey, it’s taking a little while but I guess I’ll be getting a pretty decent deal on a Z. :slight_smile:

Hi LJGMDAD,

That’s good news … I guess sometimes shipping delays can work in your favor :slight_smile:

Phoenix

April 17 - Friday

I received a Malouf Z Pillow yesterday and used it last night. I had previously been using a Tempurpedic memory foam pillow and as a back sleeper it had too much loft and not enough give. I was also sweating on it. So I now have a low loft firm Z. Initial observations: It’s bouncy. This is often mentioned and I agree. However I don’t see this is a problem at all. I don’t bounce around when sleeping and didn’t notice this at night once. The low loft firm latex results in an improved neck posture for me on my back. This was the goal. I’m now in a position where I’m looking straight up at the ceiling instead of slightly cocked forward as before. And this pillow is supportive. Though it is low loft, it doesn’t “bottom out” with my head on it, and I can feel the support under my neck. I also woke up without a sweaty head, so this is good. Lastly, the smell is pretty strong. I’m sure it will subside, and it’s not a chemical smell - just a latex smell, but I find it a bit odd that the pillow’s latex smell fills a room where my brand new natural latex mattress did not. Any thoughts on that? Anyhow, overall, it seems to have been a good purchase.

One more update - I think my lower back stiffness is starting to improve on the new mattress. It’s still there, but I am sleeping longer at night now before waking up with stiffness and the urge to roll over to get off my back… This is a slow process indeed. Still being patient…

Hi LJGMDAD,

There is more about the typical smell of latex in post #2 here. Some batches of natural latex can be stronger than others and the smell can also be more noticeable to some people than others. It can also depend on the specifics of the latex foam formulations used by different manufacturers and on how long it has been wrapped (which prevents the material from airing out and can concentrate the smell). My Malouf pillow for example had very little smell when it was new but it should subside fairly rapidly.

Phoenix

April 27 - Monday

Well I’m at just about the 45 day point with the new mattress. I can say that the latex has indeed softened since day 1, however it seems to have reached a point now where it is no longer softening. Further, my lower back stiffness has improved but is still there. I’ve recently started using a new set of sheets that are bamboo viscose and I actually think they’ve made a difference. I’m not sure, but they do seem a bit more stretchy and conforming than my previous cotton sheets. I think this makes them a better match for a latex mattress and I don’t notice the sheets getting taut underneath my back and I think this makes them more comfortable. Not to mention soft… It’s not exaggeration that bamboo viscose is softer than 1000-thread cotton sheets.

So anyhow, in another week or two I am going to re-evaluate my posture on this mattress and be sure it’s still where it should be while I’m still within the layer swap 90-day window at Flexus. Will report back around the 60-day point.

Hi LJGMDAD,

Thanks for sharing another update.

How is the smell of your pillow?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The pillow still smells. The smell has subsided such that when you walk in the room, you don’t get the immediate latex smell. But on the bed, the smell is still there. I was thinking I should wash the cover and try to air out the latex for a bit. But I haven’t tried that yet.

Thanks.

Hi LGMDAD,

That’s probably a good idea because the smell may have permeated the cover and it would give the inner pillow a chance to air out. It’s odd that your pillow seems to smell so much stronger than ours did.

Phoenix

I just ordered a 10’ inch (soft/medium/firm) mattress and foundation from Flexus today, can’t wait to get it!

Thanks Phoenix for this site, without your help I would’ve likely spent way too much money on an inferior product. You really helped me down the path of making a strong informed decision. Cheers!