Flexus Comfort Latex Mattress - Experiences and Ongoing Feedback

This is precisely what I encountered with my new latex mattress (also from Flexus). Lower back stiffness. The issue essentially for me is/was that my previous mattress was like a hammock and very unsupportive. But thatā€™s what my back was used to. Enter the latex and literally overnight the support was there. For weeks, it felt unnatural and like there was a hump under my lower back. Iā€™d wake up with stiffness in the lumbar region, but not pain. Slowly it is subsiding, but 45 days in, I can not say it is gone completely. One thing that helps alot is to sleep with a pillow under your knees - assuming you sleep on your back. This helps a lot in relieving lower back pressure.

So anyhow, stick it out. Itā€™s a long process, and itā€™s easy to get discouraged. But it does gradually improve.

May 21, 2015 - Thursday

Just popping in here to provide an update. I now feel that my mattress is fully broken in. I have not done any layer exchanges, and at this point it is not looking like I will. The initial discomfort in my lumbar region (back sleeper) is mostly gone now. Iā€™m actually wondering if the mattress has softened in that region and is now providing less resistance, or if my body has finally become accustomed to the mattress. Iā€™m suspecting itā€™s a combination of both.

In any event, Iā€™m quite happy with my purchase from Flexus. The Talalay / Dunlop combination really seems to fit me well. And that Z Pillow was really the final touch needed for alignment. In fact, Iā€™m now waking up in the same position on some mornings that I fell asleep the night before. This is rather remarkable for me. So at this point, I think the ā€œif it aint broken, donā€™t fix itā€ principle applies, and I was lucky enough to get the layer configuration correct the first time. Yes, it did take some time to adjust - longer than I expected - and yes I strongly considered altering the configuration before getting to this point. But instead, patience was the recipe for success. Word to the wise. :slight_smile:

Hi LJGMDAD,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Your ā€œword to the wiseā€ is very appropriate IMO because many people donā€™t fully realize the changes in their experience that can happen during the first few weeks that they sleep on a new mattress ā€¦ partly from adjusting to a new mattress that is different from what their body has become used to and partly from the mattress breaking in ā€¦ and in some cases the break in and adjustment period can even take a few months.

Phoenix

So very true, Phoenix. And perhaps the older we get, the longer the adjustment period becomes!! :lol:

Hi LJGMDAD,

That may not just apply to mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi LJGMDAD,

I got my Flexus 10 inch recently as well. Just wondering if you thought the latex smell was overwhelming. Itā€™s only been the 2nd day for me so Iā€™m hoping it will decrease.

Thanks,
AJ.

Hi acoelho1,

Iā€™m not LJGMDAD of course and hopefully they will see your post and share their comments but you can see their comments about the smell of their latex mattress in post #5 here.

There is also more about the smell of latex in post #2 here.

While different types and batches of latex can vary in terms of the strength of the smell (like any natural material) and different people can be more or less sensitive to the smell of latex ā€¦ it should dissipate and diminish to levels that arenā€™t objectionable or even noticeable to most people over the course of the first few weeks (or sometimes the first few days).

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œacoelho1ā€ post=52754]Hi LJGMDAD,

I got my Flexus 10 inch recently as well. Just wondering if you thought the latex smell was overwhelming. Itā€™s only been the 2nd day for me so Iā€™m hoping it will decrease.

Thanks,
AJ.[/quote]

Hi AJ,

Interestingly, not at all. But while the mattress latex didnā€™t smell much, the pillow latex in my Z pillow actually filled the room with a smell that took a couple weeks to completely dissipate. I bought the pillow a few weeks after the mattress and the difference in smell was very surprising.

Nevertheless, you can rest assured that the smell will go away. This seems quite normal with latex based on my reading and experience with the pillow.

Had ours about 5 months so far.

Got 13" E King with 8" foundation all from store. I like it. I move very little when sleep. My wife says it doesnā€™t blow her away, but for most part she likes it too.

One things we are disappointed is mattress developed 1" indentation where we sleep ( after 3 or 4 months). So thereā€™s bump in middle that looks funny. I hear normal. But it looks funny.

I hear no need to flip top layer. So shall we just leave top layer as is and the bump is part of the deal with these latex mattresses?

Hi ahpook,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and thanks for the update.

[quote]One things we are disappointed is mattress developed 1" indentation where we sleep ( after 3 or 4 months). So thereā€™s bump in middle that looks funny. I hear normal. But it looks funny.

I hear no need to flip top layer. So shall we just leave top layer as is and the bump is part of the deal with these latex mattresses? [/quote]

As durable as latex is ā€¦ even the most durable foam materials will develop minimal impressions but 1" would be a little more than the norm.

There are really 4 possibilities that can account for impressions.

One is that some of it is coming from any wool in the quilting because wool will compress about 30% of its thickness over time. This can be evened out by sleeping on different parts of the mattress where you donā€™t normally sleep but it doesnā€™t generally affect the comfort of the mattress.

The second is your foundation under the mattress. If there is some flex or sagging on either side and the middle of the foundation is firmer (such as two twin foundations that come together in the middle to make a king or a foundation that has some flex on either side and a center support beam that doesnā€™t) then this can also affect the sleeping surface of the mattress.

The third is that the latex has ā€œbunchedā€ in the middle or isnā€™t lying completely flat inside the cover. This can be easily fixed by removing the layers and putting them back by flicking or waving them into position (see the assembly videos here)

Finally itā€™s possible that it is the latex itself although this would be unlikely. You can test this by taking out the individual layers (possibly when you are completing the previous step) and putting them on a flat surface such as the floor and then if you use straight edge or a string across the surface of the layer you can easily see if one of your layers has an impression that is deeper than normal.

You can see the rotation schedule I would suggest in post #2 here and flipping the individual layers in a component mattress (more the top layer than the deeper layers) can make some difference in how evenly the top layer softens over time.

Phoenix

Hi! We plan to order the 10" King Latex from Flexus today. My last concern (that Iā€™m aware of at the moment) is the bump in the middle given the split layers and if you were able to figure out what caused it. I love the option of interchangeable layers but ultimately concerned with the middle portion sinking in or not feeling even due to being split and not all in one piece. TIA!

Hi Kellyslp4,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

Ahpook never replied to this thread regarding their post, but site member photocat had a similar issue recently and reported back that it was the layers not quite being completely flat and aligned (which is almost always the case, as latex is quite ā€œstickyā€). In a split latex configuration, it would be extremely rare to feel a difference in the middle of the mattress, unless there are extremely wide differences in ILDs and types of materials on each side. I personally wouldnā€™t have a concern and it has not proven to be a common concern mentioned to me by members on the thread. Flexus, as youā€™re probably already aware, is a member here of the site, which means I think highly of them, their products and their advice. Youā€™re certainly considering a product that uses higher quality and durable materials.

If you have any other questions, Iā€™ll be happy to do my best to answer them, and Iā€™ll be interested if you do end up deciding upon a mattress to purchase.

Phoenix

I have a split latex mattress from SleepEZ. I sleep alone on one side and the top layer has bowed outwards such that the side edge of my mattress is bulging. The gap in the middle is slightly noticeable but itā€™s not like Iā€™m going to fall in or anything. I have reset the layers but the bowing returns after just a couple nights.

Hi hapa_dude,

If the top layer of latex is the only one that is ā€œcreepingā€, Iā€™m curious if youā€™ve tried flipping that layer over (if it is Talalay), or spinning it from head to toe (if it is Dunlop) to see if that helps with the friction of holding it in place? You could also do that with the middle layer of latex as well.

Phoenix

I did flip or rotate the soft top layer once (I canā€™t remember which method I did) to no avail. I will try re-orienting the second layer too and see if that works better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi hapa_dude,

When doing that, be sure to put ā€œa waveā€ or two through the layer from the side of the bed toward the center to make sure that it is not stretched too much toward the side, which will then tend to creep. I hope that it helps.

Phoenix

Reporting back after a couple years on my latex mattress.

Iā€™m still very happy with my FlexusComfort bed. The latex has not yet shown any signs of deformity or changes with regards to support and comfort. One thing I will say is that the guidance of 60 to 90 days to transition from springs to latex took much longer for me. As a back sleeper, I felt as though the sensation of a slight hump in my lower back was unnatural and somewhat uncomfortable for at least the first 6 to 9 months. Probably closer to 9. However, since I verified early on that my mattress was providing proper spinal alignment, I stuck with it. Iā€™m very glad I did because now, I rarely wake up in the middle of the night unless nature calls. Whereas, previously I was accustomed to waking up many times a night.

So all in all, I remain very pleased. Latex was the best possible choice for me. This is the best mattress Iā€™ve ever slept on, and itā€™s not even close.

Thanks again to Phoenix!

Hi LJGMDAD.

Welcome back after almost 3 years!:slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to return and updated us ā€¦

Great to hear that your Flexus Comfort Mattress serves you so well ā€¦ I am glad that you had the patience and wisdom to stick with the process :lol:

While you had a longer adjustment period it is not unusual that a latex mattress would take longer to ā€œbreak-inā€ than other types of foams.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I purchased a Quad-Flex Pocket Coil Latex mattress from FlexusComfort about 6 months ago. At first, their salesperson suggested a soft latex comfort layer, but after receiving it, I realized it was way too soft. I switched it to a medium software latex comfort layer. However, I am still finding the mattress to be too soft, and I suspect that itā€™s not the comfort layer, but the pocketed springs. They give almost no resistance when I step on them, and I feel better sleeping with just the medium latex comfort layer direct on top of the solid bed frame.

Since I am outside of their return window, what do you think my options are at this point? Should I just throw out the pocketed springs and get a firm polyform or latex support layer? What ILD range would be needed to be more firm than the pocketed springs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi diasporaX.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear that your mattress does not fit your comfort/support needs.

Yes that would be well beyond their return exchange period of 90 days for this system. They tailored this policy so that they can efficiently service any support/comfort needs.

The Quadra-flex is using an 8" tri-zoned pocketed spring innerspring which would be using firmer coils in the center area for better support under hips. I am not sure what your BMI is, but this innerspring should be quite supportive for most peopleā€¦ which makes me question if the foundation under your mattress is firm and flat when under the weight of your body. To begin with, you may wish to check the foundation to see if this the issue and perhaps experiment and place the mattress on the floor for a few nights to see if the result is the same. Another more ā€œnon-conventionalā€ way of gathering some information to help with your decision is to sleep across your mattress in the center area of the mattress where the springs are harder and see how your body responds overall. Also, it may be that you can do better with a firmer latex on top of the system, but either way before attempting to toss out your inner spring I would phone Flexus Comfort and detail the results of your testing and ask for their advice.

It seems that the feel already improved with replacing the 3" plush Talalay layer with a medium and it may be that you are feeling the need for more firmness, but I would not jump straight to the conclusion that the support is inadequate especially if you are not experiencing any pains.

Again I suggest that you first call Flexus as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else and they can use the information you provide them about your experience on the mattress, your body type, and sleeping positions and even if you are outside of their return/exchange period they are very responsive in helping their customers and in offering their suggestions based on the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that may be similar to you.

If you decide that the pocket coil is unusable and not supportive enough for you, a firm polyfoam core of 1.8 lb density or above and mid to high 30ā€™s IFD could work, but again I cannot make specific recommendations of what may be suitable for you as it is only you that can feel what you feel on a mattress and it is best left to your personal testing and your own experiences or to a detailed discussion with the more knowledgeable manufacturer that sells the mattress/components you are considering.

Based on the basic information you provided, thatā€™s about as specific as I can be with my guidance. I hope that information is helpful with your next step.

Phoenix