Flexus vs. SleepEZ vs. SleepingOrganic

I’ve been researching latex mattresses for a few weeks, and have tried some locally (including Obasan, PranaSleep, and GreenSleep models). I also read much of the very helpful information on this site (Thanks, Phoenix!).

I have an idea of what firmnesses I liked in the models I tried, but I just can’t justify the prices of these mattresses.

I started looking online, and I think I have narrowed my choices down to Flexus Natural Comfort (10"), SleepEZ Organic Latex Mattress (10") and SleepingOrganic The Leaf (10"). These were chosen because they all offered 100% Tallalay (rather than blended), amongst other reasons. I know all of these retailers/manufacturers are recommended here, and they all seem to have pluses and minuses. I was wondering if you have any guidance.

From what I can see, Flexus currently has the best price, and an excellent warranty. What I don’t like is that they have only 2 layers, and so far, I have tended to like 3 layer construction. I think if I went with medium Dunlop as the base, it would be OK, though.

SleepingOrganic has the highest price and costs for exchange/return, but has a very generous deflection standard on the warranty (0.75"), which is a plus. The 3-layer construction is also a plus.

SleepEZ has a good price, and 3-layer construction. The one thing that concerns me is the warranty being not terribly generous with either the length and pro-rated coverage compared with the others on my list, or with the deflection amount (1.5") before the warranty kicks in. Other than that, I think they would be the clear winner. I do like that they have been in business for a long time.

Does anyone have any experience with these or any suggestions?

I have one other question. I was thinking of soft Tallalay for the top layer (due to the softness and spring), and medium/firm (split) Dunlop for the base layer. I’m not sure whether Dunlop or Tallalay (medium in both cases) would be better for the middle layer in a 3-layer construction. The bed is for 1 side sleeper and 1 side/back sleeper, and we are not large people. Does anyone have suggestions on this question?

Thanks!

Hi sunlach,

As you know all three of the manufacturers you are considering are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

All of the mattresses you are considering use three 3" layers of latex but I would also make sure that you confirm the type and blend of latex in each of the options you are considering so that you are making more “apples to apples” comparisons between mattresses. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

In their default configuration … the Flexus Natural Comfort 10" uses 100% natural Dunlop latex in the bottom two layers and blended talalay latex in the top layer and you can choose the firmness of each of the layers.

The SleepEZ organic select 10" mattress gives you the choice between 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay in each of the layers. Their Natural Select mattresses give you the choice between 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay in each of the layers.

The Sleeping Organic 10" Leaf also gives you the choice between 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay in each of the layers.

All of them have a wool quilted organic cotton cover.

They also each have different return/exchange options that may also be an important part of your personal value equation as well.

Again … their 10" Natural Comfort mattress has 3 layers not 2.

SleepingOrganic has the highest price and costs for exchange/return, but has a very generous deflection standard on the warranty (0.75"), which is a plus. The 3-layer construction is also a plus.

While a warranty is important to guard against manufacturing defects in the materials or components inside a mattress … I would keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Since all of the mattresses you are considering use the same or similar quality materials the durability and useful life of each of them would be very closely comparable. One of the advantages of a component mattress as well is that you can replace just a single layer instead of replacing the whole mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the top layer) or if your needs and preferences change over time.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly all of the manufacturers you are considering) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight (which they don’t) and if at that point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, the quality and durability of the materials, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

You’re obviously right about the layers on the Flexus. Somehow, I looked at the page for their Dual Comfort, which has two layers of 3" and 6", instead of the Flexus Natural Comfort. Thanks for pointing that out! It looks like the Flexus has only Dunlop on the bottom two layers, and only Tallalay on the top layer, while the other two manufacturers allow a choice on all three layers.

Your point about warranties is also well-taken.

Of course, your reply just brings the manufacturers a little closer together in my mind, so, as you say, it looks like there are no bad choices. I’ll take your suggestion of talking to the manufacturers before making a final decision.

Thanks again!

Before you order any of the three you mentioned, I suggest a review of what Cozy Pure has to offer. Especially now.

Thanks, PapaMike. I’ll definitely check them out - one more to consider.

Thank you Phoenix!

I meant pure latex (unblended, no synthetics) talalay where I said pure talalay. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what my current 1.5" talalay topper’s ILD is but it has to be the lightest…I can pinch it between two fingers and get it to an sixteenth inch without even trying. I can definitely see how it’s more about the feel and pressure relief than any support. My bed just feels “snugglier” with it on, and I lose some of the sharp pressure under my hip and shoulder. It makes me feel like I’m nestled down into the mattress a bit. Just a nice finishing touch.

I can also see why 1" would be ideal…I folded my topper over to see what more plush would be like and it was just sort of a silly amount of fluff. Instead of feeling extra luxurious, it just felt extra hot and unstable. A little suffocate-y as I was really in there.

But, if that’s the case…why don’t I see these lighter toppers on sale in the 1" range? SO has them in a 2" configuration but I actually think the 1.5" I have is probably just about right. I imagine it’s not very durable and won’t last long, so depending on what bed build I go with I’ll need to replace it before the rest of the bed…where would I get a shorter topper in a lighter 100% latex talalay?

I am also curious…if these lighter ILDs are considered less durable, is it not a weak link to have a layer of 1.5" lighter latex sewn into my Zenhaven?