foam density

Hello again
I have a non-latex question!
I am replacing the foam in a daybed that also is used as a sofa, am buying the foam from foam factory. I am a bit confused what foam would work best…I would like it comfortable for sleep but it will be used more as a couch. I am not sure what my old foam stats are, I would like it to be of medium firmness, do not want to sink in deep or have it hard with no give. My options are-

1. reg. foam (1.8LB/ft3 density with a 35LB ILD) resiliency 45
    2.high quality foam (2.8 LB/ft3 density with a 35LB ILD) also 45
    3.lux foam(1.8LB/ft3 density with a 50LB ILD) resiliency 35

I did some reading and it looks like these should all work but I’m just not sure what the difference is between them. Any idea what one would work best ?

Thanks !

Hi alasearwax,

(got your name right this time!)

You may find these two articles from the Polyurethane Foam Association (PFA) useful. Specifically, section 4.2.2 about IFDs in this article, and this article about polyfoam density. There is some discussion there about common IFDs for different cushions and sleep surfaces.

If you are considering Foam Factory (aka Foambymail or FBM and other names as well) you may wish to read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee)for some commentary and information about them, and sources of their foam products.

Also, if your daybed is using a polydeck or link spring unit, you may wish to reinforce it with a plywood deck or a binkie board, or something similar, as some of those units can allow for quite a bit of sag.

Phoenix

Yikes!
Well thats depressing news lol
I was having a hard time finding foam in canada without flame retardants, my doctor has told me to get out of the house after health problems.

I was looking at foam order also , they have it but there shipping was over 100$.
I guess I couldn’t even be sure foam my mail was really selling certipur-us foam as claimed.
Well at least I know about them now.

Anyone have any experience finding foam without chemicals in Canadian ? If so let me know!

Hi alasearwax,

I’m guessing that you are referring to something without some sort of flame retardant chemicals added to the foam.

As for some foam suppliers with which I am familiar, you may wish to check out this list of companies of which I am familiar that ship in/to Canada and see if they have anything appropriate for you (Memory Foam Comfort might be a good first call, as they may be able to supply you something not listed on their site or have good advice). There is also a list of different component suppliers here and some of them ship to Canada. Your best luck may be with upholstery shops. This article, while for the USA, lists some foam suppliers for furniture which I think might be worthy of investigation.

Phoenix

Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy pocket coils in Canada. The shipping from U.S was over the top or I would do that. Anyway, if anyone knows please let me know.
Thanks !

Hi alasearwax.

At a quick glance some local Canadian Manufacturers that have innerspring options who are Members of our site :

Restmore Bedding located in Winnipeg, MB (Member of The Mattress Underground)

Sleep Boutique located in Calgary, AB have Spring Pocket coil and Quantum Edge Pocket coil.

Unfortunately I don’t actually have a list of manufacturers or online stores that have innerspring and ship across Canada, as it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market, but there are a few I know of that do (both US and Canadian)

Arizona Premium have spring units and shipping options to Canada. I suggest that you give them a call (Member of The Mattress Underground)

Nest Bedding, Free shipping to Canada with the code SHIPNEST They have quite a few options in their hybrid collections. (Member of The Mattress Underground)

My Green Mattresshas innerspring systems and although they offer a discount for The Mattress Underground consumers you will need to pay for the shipping.

TonFurniture has quite a few pocket coil options

Depending on your location in Canada you can always use our Forum Search here to find any old listings that may include suppliers in your area.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi alasearwax,

Novosbed has also recently released a Canada-only luxury Pocket Coil/memory foam mattress called Logan & Cove.

All the best with your mattress search,
Sam

Novosbed

I’m writing in an existing thread, once again, as I haven’t been able to create my own thread. My question pertains to foam density guidelines when dealing with innerspring mattresses. I’m aware of the general guideline of 5 lb density or higher for a guy my size (5’ 11" and 225 pounds), but am unclear of whether this is for memory foam mattresses only or any mattress with foam. Memory foam mattresses typically have several inches of a comfort layer, while the innerspring mattress I’m looking at has a 1" gel foam layer at 4 lb density and a layer beneath the gel foam that is 1.5" of 2.5 lb “high density” foam. This is the terminology used by staff at Texas Mattress Makers.

The staff at TMM stated that these comfort layer densities are just fine at my weight for an innerspring mattress with only 2.5" total of memory foam, whereas a mattress made completely of memory foam and poly foam would have a thicker comfort layer and require the 5 lb minimum density I mentioned, based on my weight. They seem like decent guys and TMM is a member of this site, so I am inclined to believe them but felt it would be wise to check here and see what the straight dope is regarding memory foam comfort layers in an innerspring mattress.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I liked the mattress, but don’t want something that is going to lack durability down the line because of a weak link in the layer that is typically the weakest link in a poor mattress.

hi, replying to an old thread as I cant seem to find
the ask a question button…
Anyway, I was never able to get my latex mattress working and have gone to the bed in a box options. Does anyone have any info on the silk and snow hybrid? My husband an I have tried the Douglas so far and really did like it for the most part but decided in our silliness it wasn’t “perfect” we also tried the endy mattress someone lent us to use , we found it much to soft. Any info on the silk and snow hybrid would be great.
Also i saw they have silver something in the cover to protect against bacteria? Where would you find safety info on this?

Hi alasearwax,

Sorry the latex is not working out. Here are some posts/threads with people discussing the S&S mattresses.

Here is the thread for this topic link here.

In November they had some spec changes, as you will note in this thread.

Phoenix also discusses the 12" hybrid and durability and higher BMI needs in this thread.

Thank you again for your iquiry, let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck!!

Sensei

I’m not familiar with that mattress, but I am familiar with silver.

Both silver and copper are becoming popular either on their own or embedded into materials because they have natural antibacterial properties. As long as you’re not eating the silver (some people do that in the form of colloidal silver), then it shouldn’t be any more dangerous than silver dinner ware.

If you search for “antimicrobial properties of silver”, you’ll find all kinds of literature about it.

Hi savantstrike,

Thank you for the information about silver and copper, I also see silver/copper being promoted more and more in a variety of industries.

Thanks,
Sensei