Foam Encasements

Thanks Phoenix

• “Were you sensitive to the materials when you owned it previously?”
    I acquired MCS after I owned that bed. Prior to 2 years ago, I never had chemical sensitivities.

• Re CertiPure: I researched their standards a few months ago and they seem to allow of amounts that concern me of formaldehyde and other chemicals I myself may have trouble with. I may be ok with it; I will have to see.

• Thanks for the reminder that I can test a material. My first thought months ago was to ask if I could smell a piece of Gardner’s foam encasement. That might be enough of a test for me; maybe not…either way, embarrassment about asking such a “weird” question stopped me. I will have to get over that. So today I spoke with them about it and I’ll be hearing back from them this coming week.

• “…it depends on the specifics of the material not how firm it is.”
    Thanks Phoenix…good to know.

I will look now at the bottom 2 links you offered re: other suggestions. I’m hoping I can work something out with them that will work for me.
Hope you’re well
LN

Hi LookingNow,

[quote]I am going to ask Gardner to make me another bed. The one I have is compressed and tufted too firmly for me (springs, cotton, wool.)
I was told it would be tied loosely so it would have some give but it wasn’t. So anything I put on it as a comfort layer isn’t working; it’s all too hard for my side sleeping.[/quote]

I would keep in mind that all natural fiber materials will be firmer than soft foam materials so even if they are loosely tufted they may be firmer than you prefer and there is a limit to how loosely any material can be tufted before the tufting has little benefit. The firmness of the mattress will also depend on the firmness of the springs underneath it as well. If you have a firmer mattress then you may need a thicker/softer topper to provide the comfort and pressure relief that you need.

[quote]They have a bed I love that I owned before but I didn’t buy it this time because of my chemical allergies.
It’s springs with latex - but here’s the part I have a question about: it has a foam encasement.[/quote]

Were you sensitive to the materials when you owned it previously?

Most of the polyfoam that is made in North America is CertiPur certified yes. There is more information in post #2 here and the posts it links to about organic, natural, chemical, safe, and green materials that can help you answer the question “how safe is safe enough for me?”. Most people are fine with polyfoam that has been CertiPur certified but it’s possible for someone to be sensitive to any material so in the end only your own personal experience can tell whether you will be able to tolerate any specific material. It may be a good idea to ask for a sample and carry it around with you for a day or two to see whether it affects you.

The only way to know the amount of VOC’s that come from any material is by testing it because it depends on the specifics of the material not how firm it is.

Yes … there are a few examples in post #2 here.

There is more about the different types of edge support that are used with innerspring mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix