Foam mattress and/or DIY help

Hello,

I have been searching for a mattress for a while, and the more I research, the more confusing it is to choose. I also came across concerns about the reputation of the companies and sagging beds issues.

I had a medical procedure that required me to remain in a compromised position for many hours. There are problems with my neck, hips, lower back, and legs. I am 130 pounds and a back & side sleeper.

My budget is $700-$900. Trying a few hybrid mattresses at the Casper Store, I didn’t like how my lower back felt compared to all foam mattresses. Surprisingly, the Original felt comfortable and supportive, though it was too bouncy and heavy. I liked Nova more than Wave, but they are all out of reach for me. Weight is a consideration as I am only getting older. Less than 60 pounds would be ideal. I think 3 inches of ​​memory foam or engineered foam (that feels like it’s between memory foam and latex?) on top are most desirable. ​Soft-medium, 5-6​?​ Pressure relief, weight, and no fiberglass are the main concerns. ​After opening my old mattress with fiberglass, I developed chronic urticaria. I have checked many brands and narrowed them down to Nest Quail, Novosbed Soft, Zoma, Leesa Original, Dreamfoam Essential, and Douglas. Is there anything else I should check?

I was reading about DIY. What do you think about getting a 5’’ base, 2’’ latex foam as a transition layer, and 3’’ memory foam for the top? Is it too risky?

Base 5" HD36-HQ or​ ​LUX-HQ Foam

https://www.foambymail.com/foam-mattresses.html

Transition layer 2":
Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper | SleepOnLatex.com (Medium or firm?)

Top layer 3":

​Sorry, I can’t have more than 2 links. It’s either ​3LB ViscoSAVER​, ​The 4LB ViscoPLUSH​, or 5LB ViscoMAX​ from foambymail.

​I’m looking forward to ordering a good bed for my worn out body. ​Thank you so much

Its hard to get a quality mattress for $900 unless you get something used on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your suggestion. Would you be able to describe your definition of a quality mattress? I’m looking for a good/decent mattress. I think it’s better to sleep on a brand-new bed than on a used bed. Are the brands that I listed not reliable?

Cmay,

My definition of a quality bed? I follow the Mattress Tutorial here. PPP….Posture(alignment), Pressure reilef, and Preference. I like latex or memory foam. Im a back sleeper so I need good support. I love the Pressure relief of latex and memory foam. On my back, my hips should sink in some, but not too far or alignment is affected. I bought a returned a Purple 4. Pressure relief was great, but Posture was poor. Too soft and my lower back was bent too far and my back hurt. Check closely for support/posture/alignment. Dont be too caught up in comfort because you need support too.

Maybe you can start with 2 layers of latex from Sleep EZ and add more layers later.

I did check out the Casper Nova Hybrid 3 years ago. I checked it at a Casper store, but didnt buy. It felt good back then. I tried it at a store 2 months ago and didnt like it.

Im debating between Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm and Flobeds VZone and King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook Firm from Sit N Sleep. It seems that most here on TMU end up with latex.

At your price point, consider Costco. I bought a Twin Simmons memory foam for $180….full is $220. Cant beat that price. It is in my guest room. I love it. They have other sizes on the Simmons wenbsite.

Or ……consider lightly used mattress in a mattress protector at 80% off new. You would get higher quality at a low cost.

Or secure a loan or credit card and buy the new mattress of your choice. Im usually dont like any debt, but a quality mattress is worth it because it affects your health.

If I were you, do more research and buy the mattress of your choice brand new. Any mattress that you buy at $900 will need to be replaced soon and is essentially a waste of money.

Let me know what you do!
John

Cmay,

I would go with latex. Pressure relief and no fiberglass. SleepEZ, Arizona Premium Mattress or Flobeds. Check out latex vendors too!

John

1 Like

I have the same understanding as you about PPP criteria. In addition, I tried Nectar, Nectar Premier, Tempur​-​Pedic​ (tried on my brother and friend too), ​4 models of Purple. I don’t remember the models of Tempur​-​Pedic & Purple. I feel like they are either too hard or too soft. In the past, I had a latex mattress. After that, I had a Spa Sensation 12’’ with 3" memory foam. In terms of pressure relief, I find memory to be the most effective in my experience. Based on my research, I thought I could get an adequate mattress on my current budget, since I wanted something without fiberglass. I asked a friend in California to try Nest Quail for me. But not sure if having someone else try it will work.

Do you mean to spend $200-$400 on the lower end or 2000+ on the higher end but nothing in between because it’s not worth it?

Good luck with your search as well.

Buy any price point you want, but Id pony up the money even if it was expensive.

John

1 Like

Im saying to avoid buying a cheap junk mattress and spend a bit more money to get something good.

John

Got it. Currently, I’m looking at DIY that’s simple, but hopefully of good quality.

Good luck!!!

I heard Ken Hightower at Arizona Premium Mattress can help you out!

John

Hi CMay and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

I have been searching for a mattress for a while, and the more I research, the more confusing it is to choose. I also came across concerns about the reputation of the companies and sagging beds issues

It’s not uncommon to fall into ‘analysis paralysis’ searching for a mattress…so many options and everyone advertising ‘the BEST mattress’ for this or that type of sleeper. Best to keep the basics in mind: any mattress you choose will be will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). No one can tell you what bed will work for you - besides you!

I had a medical procedure that required me to remain in a compromised position for many hours. There are problems with my neck, hips, lower back, and legs. I am 130 pounds and a back & side sleeper.

Sorry to hear about the recovery from the medical procedure! It sounds like this is adding to your existing aches and pains…you may want to ‘soft reset’ the mattress search; If you have not already, you may want to take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a good retailer/manufacturer, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare this to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how durable specific materials are. You say you are experiencing pain in a number of areas…does the pain occur during the night, or when you wake up? Does the pain go away during the day? You don’t say what type of mattress your current one is, so there are a few different aspects which could be contributing to the pain.

My budget is $700-$900. Trying a few hybrid mattresses at the Casper Store, I didn’t like how my lower back felt compared to all foam mattresses
think 3 inches of memory foam or engineered foam (that feels like it’s between memory foam and latex?) on top are most desirable. Soft-medium, 5-6 ? Pressure relief, weight, and no fiberglass are the main concerns. After opening my old mattress with fiberglass, I developed chronic urticaria

Again, I cannot say for sure what is the best construction that is good for your PPP as it would be just theory at a distance and not based on your particular needs and preferences. While memory foam is popular material it has some draw backs but if you choose the correct density and firmness, is a good choice for pressure point relief. In general, any foam in a potential mattress should have no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density. From the partial Stats you gave, your weight, I am assuming that you have a lower BMI, so don’t necessarily need more than 1.8 lbs/cuft for a polyfoam base layer as long as it provides support to keep your spine in neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions and lend some comfort to the uppermost mattress layer. Unlike latex, memory foam firmness is not directly correlated to density: you can have a high density ‘plush’ comfort level, or a firmer layer of lower density.

I have checked many brands and narrowed them down to Nest Quail, Novosbed Soft, Zoma, Leesa Original, Dreamfoam Essential, and Douglas. Is there anything else I should check?

You did not state the size of the bed you are looking to get but for lower bed sizes, you should be able to find a quality mattress in the neighborhood of your budget, though many of the mattresses you listed are typical ‘big brands’ in that they are not transparent with the densities and composition of their components, which makes it difficult to assess how long they are likely to last and maintain their initial properties and if they would fit your body profile. There are options in your budget range. You mentioned the Nest Quail Nest Bedding is one of the Trusted Members of the site and the Quail is a good quality memory foam mattress with 3" of 2.8 lbs/cuft Energex foam in the comfort layer, 1" airflow layer and 6" of 1.8 lbs/cuft base foam with edge support, Which is available in medium and firm comfort levels, and the sale through the end of February puts it within your price range. Many of the Trusted Members offer foam and foam hybrid mattresses you may want to look into before you make a decision.

I was reading about DIY. What do you think about getting a 5’’ base, 2’’ latex foam as a transition layer, and 3’’ memory foam for the top? Is it too risky?
Base 5" HD36-HQ or LUX-HQ Foam https://www.foambymail.com/foam-mattresses.html
Transition layer 2": Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper | SleepOnLatex.com (Medium or firm?)
Top layer 3": Sorry, I can’t have more than 2 links. It’s either 3LB ViscoSAVER , The 4LB ViscoPLUSH , or 5LB ViscoMAX from foambymail.

A DIY Mattress can be ultimately rewarding in allowing maximum customization to your body and preferences - as long as you are willing to take the time to learn mattress basics, and energy to rearrange, exchange, and return layers that don’t work, You’d also need to keep track of the exchange and return policies beforehand so you are not stuck with foam layers you can’t use. The base layer is very firm and will be supportive; a transition layer of latex would provide a breathable durable layer which you might look at the medium firm comfort level, and for the top memory foam layer, I’d go either with the 4 or 5 lbs to ensure durability and that the foam will not break down in 6 months or so, but…for firmness that is a bit more complicated because all layers work together and if you make a change to one layer than you have to adjust other layers accordingly. All in in all that’s dependent on your preferences but especially on your needs as you are experiencing various pains…whether you want to sleep on a very firm mattress, or prefer some ‘give’ to it.

I’d say that unless you are ready for a steep learning curve, working with an experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer to help you select a good construction would be your best bet….For this you may want to have a look at the Trusted Members like APM, DIY Mattress and DIY Natural Bedding, that offer components for DIY.

Make sure to make note of any shipping/exchange costs to keep within your budget. While the separate components prices can save you some money, - if the DIY doesn’t feel correct, you’ll need to make adjustments and may cost more in the long run.

~ Basilio

Hi Basilio,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply and the links to read further.

I’m 5’2’', 130 pounds with BMI = 23.8 kg/m2. I developed a strange hypersensitivity to my coccyx after the procedure. This travels down to my inner thighs and legs throughout the day as well as when I lay down if the mattress doesn’t support that area. The physical therapist used the word sensation, which I’m not sure if I 100% agree with. I have nerve pain in my thighs throughout the day, especially when I sit. Hip pain when I sit as well. Neck and ear pain due to TMJ.

Since I recycled my old Spa Sensation 12’‘, I am currently using a 3’’ memory foam topper. It was my intention to get an 8’’ simple mattress and top it with that topper. But the more I looked at it, the more I hesitated to make a decision. In the past, I have also used latex foam. I didn’t know that I should use different density and firmness to build a comfortable mattress at the time.

After doing more research all day today, I think I want to try latex again for the top and transition layers. Unfortunately, the base will have to be HD36-HQ foam (density (LB/Cubic Ft.) 2.8) because latex will be too heavy for me.

Data sheet:

As for the transition layer, I’m thinking either 1’’ or 2’’ medium (dunlop) and 3’’ soft for the top (tatalay or dunlop).

What do you think?

I’m planning to test a latex mattress tomorrow to make sure that I like it.

Please try Sleep on Latex. I think you’ll find what you want there. I am a customer and a fan. Prices are very reasonable.
hester

1 Like

Hi Hester,

I have been looking around, and Sleep on Latex is on the list. They are very thoughtful and nice. Thank you for confirmation! May I ask what you have from them?

Hi CMay,
I have several toppers from them. The first I got a couple years ago b/c they were the only company that sold 1" toppers. Then I had surgery a year ago and was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and had to avoid stairs for 2 weeks. My downstairs sofa is so hard I got a 2" topper from them and it came so quickly that only the first post op night did I sleep (or try) without a topper. Since then for complicated reasons, I got a shikibuton and needed something else so got a couple of toppers. My shiki was too rigid so I needed some give and got medium and soft toppers, each 1".

I am 132 and tummy and side sleeper. For tummy and back sleepers you need firmness and for side you will need some cushion.

I would buy from them in a heartbeat. Their return / exchange policy is very generous. You have a month to return a topper and 3 months for a mattress. One per year.

A couple things you should know. Right now they only deal in Dunlop Latex. And as one of their reps said, their latex is a bit firmer than most. My guess is that a medium mattress from them would work for you, BUT you will likely need a 2" topper, I think for the side sleeping part. They used to have a ‘soft’ mattress option but it was returned too frequently. (I’ve done a deep dive on their website…lol).

Btw, I think memory foam sleeps “hot” and if you are female and aging (I’m actually OLD), I’d avoid memory foam. Just my opinion.

I do not think you can achieve what you want and get a quality mattress within the $700 - $900 budget. I think you’ll have to spend about $1200 total. And also, more than 60 pounds of weight. Latex is heavy. At SOL you can ask for white glove delivery.

Good luck,
keep asking questions.
hester

I am sorry to hear about what you have been through. I’m also older, and growing older is not fun, at least physically.

I am doing DIY. I have calculated, and it will be around $800 if I opt for Dunlop for the top and not Tatalay. There will be more weight than I wish for​ (72 pounds)​, but I have come to terms with that I can’t have everything. Life would be too easy, right?

I was debating back and forth whether I should get all latex or latex & poly foam as a base to help lessen the weight.

As of today, my build is latex for the top and transition with poly foam as the base.
Top: 3’’ soft latex
Transition: 1’’ medium latex (Sleep on Latex told me that since the​ir​ density is higher, I only need 1’’ medium)
Base: 4’’ HD36

Hi Hester,

Do you find soft latex fills the gap between the curve of your lower spine and coccyx like memory foam?

I will go to the foam store in my area tomorrow to try some poly foam and latex to see if I like it. Then I will order online. Thank you for your detailed response and sharing your experience.

Hi CMay,
Wow, sounds like you’ve done your homework and have come up with something that is in your price range and will work. Nice going! For the transition layer, you can always switch out the 1" medium for 2" if you find you need it.

I cannot answer your question about memory foam as I have never tried it. However, if you get the 3" of soft on top, my guess is that it will do what you wish vis a vis your spine and coccyx.

I sleep hot and read that it would make my night sweats worse. I like a firm feel, so I only have 1" soft for the topper, under which are firmer layers.

And if you do DIY, each portion will be light enough for you and someone else to manage. My shiki is similar: 2" latex surrounded by 1/2" - 1" wool then a cover. Then i have the SoL latex layers on top, also in a cover.

What size are you looking at?

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
hester

I’m looking at a full size mattress. I’m allergic to wool, so I will just get the cover. I think the latex base will make the weight heavier than I can manage. I also think HD36 will be easier to move around than firm yet floppy latex.

I tried 2 latex and 1 memory foam mattresses in the store today. The memory foam still appeals to me because it contours and fills up all the gaps around the curves, like soft clay. I think if I get the 3’’ tatalay or blended talalay instead of dunlop, it may help with that. I also went to a foam store and checked out 36 poly foam and medium dunlop latex. The person there told me that the important thing is to have a flat sheet of wood underneath the mattress, and I don’t need the transition layer. Maybe I can get the base and the top first and see if I need the transition layer. I will meditate on this some more. As a precaution, I will get a cover that is at least an inch higher in case I decide to add another layer.

Do you have your shiki on the floor or on a platform? When it’s on the floor, getting up can be a challenge.

I will think about this some more and let you know my final decision.