Foam Mattress

Many years ago I dated someone who had a compressed foam mattress. It wasn’t made up of different materials, only one large piece of compressed foam. The mattress, if I remember correctly was an orangish/yellowish color. It did not have any type of covering and had square cut, not rounded edges. I never slept so good in my entire life. I once went into a chain store and asked about that type of mattress, and the salesperson told me they don’t make them anymore.

Does anyone know where I may be able to find that type of mattress?

Hi meryl,

I’m not sure what you mean by “compressed foam” but if it was a single layer of polyfoam of a specific (probably higher) density and firmness softness level (ILD) with some kind of cover on top … then something very similar would be available from most local foam shops. The color doesn’t indicate anything in particular because foams can come in any color. Perhaps the “compressed” that you remember means a higher density foam (usually 1.8 lbs/cu ft or higher) which is a better quality polyfoam. Of course “compressed foam” could also mean a type of foam called “rebond” foam which is recycled foam materials that have been glued together and is typically used for carpet padding, vibration isolation, and other heavy duty uses but is not typically used in a mattress. A foam shop would usually have this available as well.

If the mattress was a single layer of polyfoam with a basic cover over it … then the trick would be to find a polyfoam layer that was a similar type (density which is the biggest part of quality and durability) and firmness/softness level of polyfoam (called ILD or IFD). Many foam shops will let you test various layers so that you can choose one that comes closest to what you remember.

Phoenix

There was no cover at all. It was just a high density solid piece of foam, cut with square edges. It was a king size and maybe a little less thick than a normal mattress. If anyone would know, it would be you.

I want to thank you for getting back to me. I just want to say how greatly impressed I am by your website and the time you obviously put into it.

For the past few weeks I’ve been tossing and turning and waking up very stiff and sore. I also have fibromyalgia, but I don’t have severe pain like most people. I have more discomfort than pain, sometimes not bad and other times very uncomfortable. I get achy, tired and weak and sometimes feel like arthritis is coursing through my body. I also have neck and lower back issues, and sleep apnea (not using a CPAP). I’m primarily a side sleeper, but also end up on my stomach. I’m desperate to get a new bed. This is the worst time ever financially for me right now, but I just have to bite the bullet and get something really good since I spend at least 1/3 of my time sleeping and I have all those problems. I’m so glad I came across the site when I did. My friend has a nephew who’s a manager at a Sleep Number store and she has their bed and a number of her friends and relatives have their bed and they all love it. I was going to go to the store to check them out, but after reading your forums, I’m definitely not interested in an airbed. I always dreamed of a memory foam bed and also having a king size bed, as a queen seems a little small to me, but after reading the forums, I’m leaning towards the pure LatexBLISS, most likely the queen size PAMPER, if it ends up feeling right. I’ll have to stick with the queen size since it’s expensive enough as it is. I do have a large bedroom in my home, but bedrooms aren’t always large enough for a king size anyway, so looking to the future it’s probably best to stick with a queen. I know you stated many companies can build a bed just as good for less money, but I feel I really need to try it out. What if they built it and it didn’t feel right?

Thanks so much for everything and I wish you a great holiday season.

Do you know of any foam factories in Pennsylvania, somewhere near Philadelphia?

Hi meryl,

The factory direct manufacturers and other better possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia area are listed in post #4 here.

Some of these may be able to make you (or even carry) a single layer foam mattress and may be worth a call.

I haven’t looked for any foam outlets in the area which of course would make your search simpler but there should be some listed in the yellow pages.

A quick google search on “foam Philadelphia” turned up quite a few choices including …

http://www.foamoutlet.com/thefoamoutlet_001.htm

http://www.adlersfabrics.com/

and quite a few more.

Phoenix

Wow, thanks so much. You’ve been so great.

I think that is a moulded foam.

I haven’t been on here in a while & the format has changed. I can’t figure out where to ask a new question. Anyway…I’m wondering what you think about the Christeli Memory Foam? It’s one of your members manufacturers. I’m in Myrtle Beach, SC area & they’re in Greenville, SC so at least in the same state. We are overloaded with all the “S” brands & stores down here! Hard to delve through all the hype. Christeli seems to be very well made & meet the qualifications for a great mattress. Would like your expert opinion on them & any other recommendations you might have for memory/latex mattress. I’m also going to get an adjustable base with any mattress as I have issues with my legs & need to elevate them. I’ve just re-read all the info! Thanks in advance!

Christeli makes a fine product and offers a wide array of models using high density MF which is much more durable than more common lower density foams. It’s very hard to predict whether any individual’s preferences and unique needs will be met by a specific brand or model, but the manufacturer themselves will have the most experience with their products in best matching them to user expectations. I’d suggest a call or email to them with details on what specifically you’re looking for in a mattress including firmness, comfort, primary sleep position, size/weight, budget, etc. so that they can make their best recommendation. Good luck and let us know how it goes as you proceed with your search!

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I’ll let you know what I decide!