Foam Springs & Reverie

Hi
New to the forums. Beginning to look for a new mattress. Currently sleeping on a 10 year old Simmons and feel it may be time.

Was looking at Reverie. Are there any other manufacturers that use the foam spring concept like the Reverie DreamCell? For some reason, I believe in the course of web surfing, I came across another but can’t find it again. A picture sticks in my mind in which the cells were surrounded by a black strapping around the middle. Maybe I’m imagining. Thought I’d ask here since there seems to be an extensive knowledge base.

Also, has anyone on the forum had any experience in purchasing a Reverie mattress without the adjustable base? They seem to push the “system”, but I’m not sure we’d have much use tor an adjustable bed.

Hi MeanGene,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The Reverie DreamCell would be the best known product. Their cells do have a recessed “band” around the center – perhaps that’s what you recall?

While it’s beyond my scope to keep up with all of the foams being put into production by various fabricators worldwide, a few others that immediately come to mind would be the Dormeo Octaspring (uses polyfoam or memory foam), Carpenter’s Qualatex/Avena foam coils, the small latex coils uses in the upholstery layers of the Kingsdown Back Smart and Vintage lines (and old Elliptica line introduced at market back in 2015), and Future Foam’s DNA (a plastic spring in a foam encasement). Foam springs/coils have been in production for quite some time in Europe, but their higher cost keeps them from being as popular (see a sample here).

While not made of foam, another interesting product is a spring made of wood called Vitalwood.

[quote]Also, has anyone on the forum had any experience in purchasing a Reverie mattress without the adjustable base? They seem to push the “system”, but I’m not sure we’d have much use tor an adjustable bed.
[/quote]

Manufacturers and retailers surely would like you to purchase an adjustable bed base along with their mattress (resulting in a higher purchase price), but if you feel that you would not use or benefit from a power foundation, there would be little reason to purchase one and the mattress would work just fine placed upon a firmer flat surface.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply
As far as the banding, it appears that Reverie has some sort of black webbing matrix that holds the DreamCells. You can see it in this reconfiguration video

This must be what I was remembering.
As far as others using foam springs, I’m sure Reverie is well protected patent-wise.
Working my way through the basic guideline posts. Lots to learn.

Hi MeanGene,

It didn’t even occur to me that this was the black band that you were remembering. Good call!

Phoenix