Foam Sweet Foam Lates Mattresses - New to Latex

We are looking for a new mattress. Our 2 year old coil mattress has been terrible and we need to replace it. After research, we have decided organic latex would be best. We are currently looking at Foam Sweet Foam’s site. Are there any latex stores in CT? We’ve never tried one out, but it seems like there are no stores near us that carry organic latex mattresses. Does anyone here have any experience purchasing from Foam Sweet Foam? We were looking at their site. After a $2,000 coil spring disaster, we are so weary and wary of buying another mattress! Any help is appreciated!

Hi munkim,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry your old mattress didn’t work out well for you.

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

If you reply back with your zip code, or use the search feature here of the site and search for the largest city near your home, I can see if I am aware of any latex retailers near your home.

Being an organic certified latex mattress isn’t something you’d be able to “feel”. It would be more important to try out products using similar types of latex (Dunlop or Talalay) and ILDs and thicknesses of what you are comparing to online.

Foam Sweet Foam is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

With that being said…regarding opinions and reviews, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer like Foam Sweet Foam that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Hopefully this helps point you in a good direction, and you are certainly considering a product using good quality materials.

Phoenix

Thank you for your timely and informative reply, Phoenix!
As far as “organic” latex goes, I really don’t care if it is or not, I had just read that “Organic” is the best way to go with latex. Is this the case?
My zip is 06040.
I know there are other posts about which base or box spring to use with a latex mattress. I’m guessing that our traditional/coil box spring is not the right thing to use?

Again, TIA for all of your time and help.

Hi munkim,

You’re welcome.

Not necessarily. It all comes down to our personal reasons for choosing something that is organic certified, and the links I provided in my previous post explain the differences in certifications and what they actually mean. Any latex you’re likely to encounter will be a high quality material.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Hartford area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here. There are a few who offer latex.

You’re correct. Most manufacturers will recommend some sort of a foundation or platform bed for a latex mattress, as described in more detail in the foundation thread here.

Phoenix

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:slight_smile:

Hi munkim,

You’re welcome you’re welcome, you’re welcome!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Can you please post recommended small bed retailers for the zip code of 06040?

Thank you!

Melissa :slight_smile:

Hi munkim,

I answered this for you previously in this post.

Phoenix