Foam Topper on a Foam Mattress - Recommended?

Let’s say I wanted to get a new mattress. I’m seeing all these beds with all their layers of foam… Latex mattresses are just way too expensive. However, I envision a 3" thick latex topper as being “good enough”. But what to put it on? I can swing another 200 or 300 bucks on a foundation mattress, but which one? I see all sorts of foam mattresses on Amazon, but they all seem so shady. Can I just shove a latex topper on top of a foam mattress, or should I get some superfirm coil mattress to have the latex topper on?

This thing looks sweet, but I can’t figure out how to get one:

Is an all-latex mattress under a thousand bucks just a dream? All the links I’ve found on the forums so far have a minimum of 1300 for a King size, which is what I am looking for now. Or it’s a 3" latex glued onto a 8" polyfoam base. I’m not sure why just having bigger polyfoam bases would make any difference in comfort, like say in the 10 inch to 15 inch range. Like is there any difference between 5" and 8" of polyfoam base? Anyway, the Dreamfoam thing is a thousand bucks for a King size, basically 3" of latex, then the rest is just polyfoam. I can’t seem to find a “polyfoam mattress” which I could then separately get the 3" topper and would be the same thing as the 1000 dollar Dreamfoam mattress.

I’m thinking about getting this topper:

And want to pair it with a base of some sort. All-in I’d like to spend less than 750. I could use somewhere to buy polyfoam. I could literally built the Dreamfoam bed: Dreamfoam by Brooklyn Bedding - Dream Foam
(Talalay + high density foam base)

So… To sum it all up.

1. Why is thicker layers of high density foam base better or worse? Does thicker/denser base foam extend the life of the mattress?
  2. Where can I get the base foam that it seems all foam mattresses use?
  3. Can I just get a cheap foam mattress and shove the latex topper linked above on it and have it perform for, say, 5 years.
  4. Can I get a cheap coil mattress and shove a latex topper on it and have it be nice and latexy for, say, 5 years.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Jiggerjuice,

[quote]Let’s say I wanted to get a new mattress. I’m seeing all these beds with all their layers of foam… Latex mattresses are just way too expensive. However, I envision a 3" thick latex topper as being “good enough”. But what to put it on? I can swing another 200 or 300 bucks on a foundation mattress, but which one? I see all sorts of foam mattresses on Amazon, but they all seem so shady. Can I just shove a latex topper on top of a foam mattress, or should I get some superfirm coil mattress to have the latex topper on?

1. Can I get a cheap coil mattress and shove a latex topper on it and have it be nice and latexy for, say, 5 years.[/quote]

You can see my thoughts about the risks of buying a mattress/topper combination where you can’t try the combination in person in post #2 here. The three biggest issues you will face are …

1. Even a firm base mattress may have too much lower quality materials or foam in the comfort layers which can soften or break down too quickly and become a weak link in your sleeping system … even underneath a topper.

2. The cost of a mattress/topper combination can be more than buying a comparable mattress that already includes similar components that already include the same comfort layer (and don’t have the lower quality materials which also adds to the cost … and the risk).

3. If you can’t try a mattress topper combination in person then choosing a topper that is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on a specific mattress for a specific person can be almost as difficult as buying a mattress in the first place.

If you do decide to go in this direction then I would buy the mattress first and then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your actual sleeping experience as a reference point for choosing a topper that has the best chance of success.

The topper guidelines also include a link to a list of some of the better sources for latex and polyfoam and other mattress components that I’m aware of.

[quote]This thing looks sweet, but I can’t figure out how to get one:
www.kymdan.com/[/quote]

I don’t think they are available here … although other similar mattresses with a 6" Dunlop latex core would be.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of for lower budget online latex mattresses and latex hybrids are listed in posts #3 and #4 here. While you can find a latex mattress in this budget range … it will tend to include thinner layers of latex than latex mattresses that use more latex in their design and may be a better match for you in terms of PPP.

[quote]I’m not sure why just having bigger polyfoam bases would make any difference in comfort, like say in the 10 inch to 15 inch range. Like is there any difference between 5" and 8" of polyfoam base?

1. Why is thicker layers of high density foam base better or worse? Does thicker/denser base foam extend the life of the mattress?[/quote]

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner base layer would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the material (type, firmness etc) and on the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. The thickness of a mattress or of individual layers doesn’t necessarily make any mattress better or worse … it’s only one of the specs that affects the overall feel and performance of the mattress. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP.

You can often find a polyfoam mattress in a local foam shop. Tuft & Needle sells a firm polyfoam mattress and Dreamfoam also sells their 12 in 1 customizable mattress which has 3 layers of polyfoam as well. Even if you did this though you wouldn’t have the same mattress as the Dreamfoam (or another similar mattress) because all the layers and components of a mattress including the type of cover and quilting it uses are all part of the feel and performance of a mattress and you would need to “match” every layer in terms of the type, thickness, and firmness of the foam and all the other components of the mattress including the cover for it to “match” another mattress.

[quote]
I’m thinking about getting this topper:
www.mattresses.net/3-inch-latex-mattress-topper.html[/quote]

This is certainly a good quality/value natural Dunlop topper and Mattresses.net are one of the topper sources that are linked in the topper guidelines. It would be a good choice if the thickness and firmness level was a good match for your specific needs and preferences on a particular base mattress or with the right firmness polyfoam layer underneath it with a suitable cover.

As you can see from the earlier information … this would entirely depend on the specifics of the mattress and what was in it and whether there were any lower quality materials in the mattress and also on how suitable the combination was for you in terms of PPP. In theory … if you buy a combination mattress and topper that don’t have any weak links and is a good match for you in terms of PPP then yes it would be possible but it may cost you more than some of the other alternatives that are available to you.

Phoenix

What about a self-compiled topper pile?

https://www.ultimatesleep.com/talalay-latex-toppers

3" Firm on the bottom, 3" Medium in the middle, and 3" Soft on the top. Or maybe 3" Medium on the top as well. Does this make sense as a combo? Or Firm->Mediumfirm-Medium…

3" Soft is $258 for standard King.
3" Medium is $283 for standard King.
3" Medium-firm is $304
3" Firm is $325.

So 12" for one of each would be $1170.
9" at $912.

I would assume that this spec reads better than
http://dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53
9" of multilayered Dunlop synthetic for $1100.

All toppers vs a 3" Talalay at https://foamsource.com/shop/Latex-Topper/Natural-Talalay-Latex-Topper - $589 for a King at all densities.

So these specs on the Talalay toppers are identical, and yet one is twice as much. Is this just a marketing style “hey look at our fancy website” markup, or is there any difference between the two?

Would a topper pile be functionally the same as a manufacturer mattress? Minus the stitchings and what-not. Firm->Mediumfirm->Medium is what I’m considering at the moment.

As an aside, my PPP is really… driven purely by spec sheet performance. If latex Firm is the most durable, I will purchase based on how much firmness I can handle. Like Firm->Firm->Mediumfirm for the 3 topper pile set. Or Firm-Firm-Medium, assuming the top layer wears out first and I can replace it because the bottom layers were Firm and powerful.

Hi Jiggerjuice,

If you are designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to so that you have realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

You can read more about Ultimate Sleep in this topic and I would be very cautious here because I don’t believe they are selling Talalay latex.

The synthetic latex in the Freedom mattress is made by Mountaintop foam and like all latex is a good quality and durable material. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but in very general terms synthetic latex will be less resilient and less “supportive” (it doesn’t get as firm as quickly with deeper compression) than 100% natural Dunlop. It will also be less resilient than Talalay latex (although again the Ultimate Dreams layers are also mostly synthetic Dunlop latex). There is also more about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

The Freedom mattress also includes a good quality quilted cover which is an important part of a mattress and with the different firmness levels on each side of the quilted cover there are 12 different ways that you can customize the support and comfort of the mattress. Dreamfoam also has a good return policy (see the bottom right corner of the Dreamfoam site) if for some reason none of the layering arrangements are a good match for you. They also have a 10% discount available at the moment (see their facebook page here). IMO … this would be a less “risky” choice where most importantly of all you would know what you are buying and it includes every component that you need to make a mattress.

The component post here includes the better sources I’m aware of for Talalay latex if you would prefer to use it in your mattress. The layers you listed at foamsource are 100% natural Talalay which is a more costly material than blended Talalay as well.

If you had the same layers (same type and blend of latex in the same firmness level and layer thicknesses) and the same cover then they would be functionally the same yes. If any of the materials or components were different (including the cover) then they wouldn’t no.

Phoenix

Hi Jiggerjuice, it sounds like you’re on a similar journey I was on not long ago. You mentioned king size, so I think trying to find an all latex mattress under $1000 would be difficult. I’ve noticed some price increases from retailers so I’m not sure if this is a reflection of the latex market or not. 6mo ago or so, if I remember correctly the lowest prices on talalay blended were around $100 an inch for queen and slightly more for king. That didn’t take into account shipping which can be costly and didn’t include a cover. Good quality zip covers to protect the latex will run $130-200 for queen/king size so that would need to be factored into using a mattress base/latex topper unless it was a complete mattress and individually covered topper.

Like Phoenix mentioned, the dreamfoam 12 in 1 is a good base mattress and features similar customization to latex mattresses since it also features 3" movable layers. My thought would be if going that route, to either place the soft on bottom if using a latex topper or to remove one of the 3 3" layers and insert a 3" latex layer in it’s place giving you 9" (6" reversible poly foam 2lb density beneath your 3" topper - all zipped up into the included ticking). Not sure how it would work with a 3" soft layer of poly foam under the latex topper, might be too soft since the soft is considered a top layer and so is the latex. Even if using only 2 of the layers, 2 layers of quality poly foam and the ticking is worth the money.

King size is going to bring a premium since it’s the largest size. You might save a little going with a queen unless you need or really prefer the extra room. From personal experience, trying to use a layer here and a topper there to cut prices is almost a bit of a rabbit hole. I got sucked in for months trying to sort it all out and the savings just wasn’t really there. Maybe $100-200 less. Considering the energy and time spent, it really wasn’t worth it from a cost cutting aspect. In the end I ended up getting a mattress from mattresses247. I know it’s hard to justify or come up with the initial outlay in cost but all things considered it’s one of those situations where a couple of things have to be considered - one, it’s an item that we spend 6-8hrs a day on and is crucial to good rest which factors in hugely with the rest of our day both work/leisure. Two, it’s a long term investment. I’m no stranger to limited funds, but if holding off another couple weeks means an extra $100 or $200 needed to get the right mattress it’s worth it. The up front sting of price is soon forgotten and considering a good mattress should last 8-10yrs - even 6yrs, an extra $200 is only an additional $33 a year. In perspective, that’s a couple fast food meals or a night at the movies. Going cheap or with something less than you wanted to begin with may haunt you in years to come where the extra money spent will probably be forgotten. I’d rather 2-3yrs from now you lay down and relax and think wow this bed still feels nice than toss and turn 2-3yrs down the road regretting not getting something else.

I’m not trying to convince you to spend more money, just speaking from my own fairly recent situation similar to yours. At times I can be the king of cheap and sometimes it pans out, other times it bites me. Long term investments aren’t really the place to cut corners, at least not in my experience. Nothing wrong with a latex over foam hybrid so long as it feels good to you. If to you there’s a real noticeable difference between latex/poly and all latex then don’t cheat yourself. Best advice I can give. It’s whatever works best for you, not what impresses your friends or anything. Best of luck to you.

King size is necessary. Wife plus two kids… Eventually everyone ends up in the same bed.

I’m looking at this now:

100% natural latex. I’m thinking firm base, medium middle, and what, maybe medium top? Or soft top. Not positive…

Or the clearance pile:

Firm + Med + Med… Seems to be the same foam. I like how they post their certs online though.

Haha not trying to impress friends, otherwise I would get a proper mattress rather than pile toppers on top of each other. Trying to get the best deal. Did I mention wife and two kids? Money is tight but sleep is valued.

I’m edging toward 1000 dollars with my topper combos, while the proper mattresses all look like 1500 range.

Thanks for the heads up Phoenix. I was definitely almost about to buy these mystery foam combos.

Hi Jiggerjuice,

Just one additional comment as well … if you are buying toppers or individual layers and a cover from different sources I would confirm the dimensions of each layer and the cover because there may be a difference in the sizes of individual layers or toppers which can vary by a couple of inches so they may not be flush when they are put together inside the cover and may leave “gaps” in between the layers and the cover.

Phoenix

Hi Jiggerjuice, understood with the need for a larger bed. You mentioned not being sure about firmness, have you had a chance to test any latex in person? Either solid or latex/foam hybrid to get a feel for what sort of firmness feels best to you. Not sure if you’re after talalay, dunlop, if all natural is important to you or not. Talalay and dunlop can feel differently to people, how much different is a personal thing. I only mention this because the topper you mentioned from sleeponlatex I think is dunlop. If you could test them in person it might help you narrow down your preferences.

A couple other ideas, BrooklynBedding has a 10" Cotton Camilla model - 3" talalay latex and around 6" 1.5lb density foam core with around 1" reflex foam on top of the latex layer. King size is $999. Has a comfort exchange for $75 if the choice of latex firmness turns out doesn’t work out for you in the first 120 days. Has a 20yr warranty. They’re running a black friday special that’s 10% off and in that price range comes with 2 free pillows and a mattress protector in addition to the 10%. You might ask (either call or they have a live chat feature on their website brooklynbedding.com) to see if the prices listed are before or after the 10% black friday discount. If before, that could mean an extra $100 off.

Dreamfoam sells a similar one on amazon here that’s a 10" mattress. It’s $750 for a king size and free shipping. I believe this one is 3" talalay.

Another similar one Dreamfoam has I saw on their website, the same as the Ultimate Dreams except it says it uses 2lb high density foam and a 3" natural dunlop latex top layer instead of talalay (not sure if talalay is an option, you might have to check) for $799. $50 more to basically upgrade the ultimate dreams from 1.5lb density to 2lb density base foam. Not sure of the warranty on the dreamfoam’s they mention 10 or 20yr but they’re also a little less expensive than the brooklyn bedding variations. The link to this one is here

Just trying to provide some options in case they’re helpful.

Hi brass,

Just to clarify this … the Ultimate Dreams Natural latex mattress is only available with a Dunlop comfort layer although you can choose the firmness level of the Dunlop.

Phoenix

Hi Brass,

Well, from reading this website in fact, I am seeing the marketing speak from the different companies you mentioned.

“BrooklynBedding has a 10” Cotton Camilla model - 3" talalay latex and around 6" 1.5lb density foam core"
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/10-inch-cotton
From the website:

3" of Blended Talalay Latex (60S/40N)
6" HD foam core, one of the finest quality foams on the market

— This all indicates to me a marketing value-add, but not an all-clear on the spec sheet. 60% synthetic and 40% natural - this website says synthetic basically sucks. A cheap workaround to providing a 1000 dollar bed for perceived value-add. The biggest indicator here is that whether you choose firm, medium-firm, or medium, the price is all the same. This leads me to believe that they make so much money they are indifferent to the layer of mostly synthetic talalay you choose. As for the HD foam core, basically ALL foam mattresses will have an HD foam core. Is this because HD polyfoam is the most awesome foam ever, or because it’s cheap and hard and serves as a cheap hard base layer, from which you can say “Look at this 15 inch mattress!” while you rake in the bucks with your 10" polyfoam foundation after selling the thing for 2000 dollars. I don’t see why I wouldn’t get a 100% natural latex topper, and perhaps just buy a polyfoam core of however much thickness. It seems hard to find a HD polyfoam block anywhere though - maybe it’s the carefully guarded secret that mattress manufacturers collude to not sell separately to not screw their market.

It is actually difficult to find 100% natural latex. I assume the blends are cheaper and higher GP margin. You really have to search long and hard on the websites to verify that they are using blends/synthetics. 100% latex and 100% natural latex aren’t the same, apparently.

I looked long and hard at the Dreamfoam as well:
http://dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

It seems to be much the same as the Cotton Camilla. HD foam base + 3 inch “talalay” topper of unknown blends/quality. Yes, highly rated… I’m sure most people who buy 750 dollar beds are going to rate it 5 stars, coming from a zero-analysis, non-specification driven placebo effect. Not to say people are wrong, I’m sure it’s great… I’m sure all these beds are great. My question is pure value. 3" topper plus cheap foam base block doesn’t add up to 750-1000 bucks to me. As far as I understand the layering principles I read on this website.

Seriously, where can I buy HD polyfoam blocks?

Haha thank you for the suggestions. I in fact already went through all of these and declared them unsatisfactory in my mind. I’m not trying to be offensive in my response, just verbalizing my thought process.

I’m taking the wife to a mattress joint around where I live this weekend to “test out” latex mattresses of dunlop and talalay options. Really just going to test firmnesses. I’m highly considering

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL3JA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DTGI7ZHYVPV9&coliid=I1PIIMRA1UHI88&psc=1

THAT piece of junk as a base and then tossing on a 3" latex topper. Total cost will be around 600.

Or maybe this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WZTVRG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DTGI7ZHYVPV9&coliid=I3TTCDD6GW0HD5&psc=1

And shove a topper on it? Comes out to close to a thousand bucks total, mattress + topper.

Does anyone seriously have a HD polyfoam block shop? Even this 600 dollar mattress has… 5" HD foam base, then various layers of marketing foams. So why aren’t I just buying HD polyfoam , like 7 inches worth as a base in the raw, and then doing double latex toppers on top? Like… 3" firm, 3" medium 100% all natural latex. The latex layers will run about 600-700 bucks from the websites I linked earlier in this thread. I really suspect HD polyfoam is supercheap. I think even Phoenix had a post somewhere that mentions this fact, though I can’t find where I read it at the moment. Neither can I find a place to purchase it on its own.

Phoenix, anywhere to get HD base foam? To make my DIY layered bed? You mentioned “local foam shop” - anywhere online you can name or call out easily? Walking into a proper mattress store looking for polyfoam sounds like an easy way to hand a guy free money.

Thanks guys for your help and answering my questions and giving me suggestions.

Hi Jiggerjuice,

I’m not sure where you read all this or why you are making some of the assumptions you are making but it’s certainly not the case and your comments are not accurate at all. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and about the differences between 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay in post #2 here but in some cases blended Talalay is actually a more durable material than 100% natural Talalay.

The firmness of latex has little to nothing to do with it’s quality or cost in the case of latex so I don’t know why you would think that firmer or softer layers would cost either more or less.

The quality of polyfoam depends on it’s density (if you are defining quality in relationship to durability) or to it’s properties such as resilience, compression modulus, or other specs that make one type of polyfoam more costly than another. Either way … firmness is also not a part of the cost of polyfoam because any quality/density of polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels that have nothing to do with density.

While it’s true that lower budget mattresses by necessity need to use less costly materials … it’s also true that there are better and worse ways to design a mattress in a lower budget range and a latex/polyfoam hybrid that uses a latex comfort layer can provide many of the benefits that goes with sleeping on a latex comfort layer in a lower budget range than an all latex mattress. There is also more about the differences between a latex hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

There are certainly “cheap mattresses” that are worth less than they cost and are part of what I call the “race to the bottom” but there are also many lower budget mattresses that use high quality materials that are suitable for their budget range that are great value.

If you spend some time reading the mattress shopping tutorial it includes some links that discuss the the pros and cons of different types of mattress materials and components in much more detail that can help you understand a little more about what makes one material “better” than another in certain applications and budget ranges.

As you can see in the links I mentioned earlier … synthetic rubber is a less costly material than natural latex and it’s also more difficult (and more costly) to manufacture a foamed latex material using natural rubber because it isn’t as easy to work with. you are absolutely right though that 100% latex and 100% natural latex aren’t the same thing. The margins on mattresses would typically be higher in higher budget ranges (which would tend to use more costly versions of latex) but the price difference between SBR and NR probably isn’t as much as you think (see here). It’s also not that difficult to find 100% natural latex in either Talalay or Dunlop if you are a member here.

[quote]Seriously, where can I buy HD polyfoam blocks?

Phoenix, anywhere to get HD base foam? To make my DIY layered bed? You mentioned “local foam shop” - anywhere online you can name or call out easily? Walking into a proper mattress store looking for polyfoam sounds like an easy way to hand a guy free money.[/quote]

Some of the better sources for mattress components and materials (including any grade or density of polyfoam that you may decide to purchase) are listed in the component post here.

[quote]I looked long and hard at the Dreamfoam as well:
dreamfoambedding.com/index.php?route=pro...roduct&product_id=50

It seems to be much the same as the Cotton Camilla. HD foam base + 3 inch “talalay” topper of unknown blends/quality.[/quote]

They are fairly similar yes but they certainly aren’t “unknown blends or quality” because both Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are completely transparent about all the materials in all of their mattresses. You can read a little more about how the Cotton Camilla compares to some of the other Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding mattresses that have exchangeable comfort layers in post #16 here. The ultimate Dreams latex mattress that you linked is similar but it’s a finished mattress and doesn’t have the option to exchange the comfort layer after a purchase.

[quote]Amazon.com

THAT piece of junk as a base and then tossing on a 3" latex topper. Total cost will be around 600.

Or maybe this?
www.amazon.com/dp/B000WZTVRG/ref=wl_it_d...I3TTCDD6GW0HD5&psc=1[/quote]

I would make sure that you find out the quality/density of the materials in both of these or you could end up with a sleeping system that has a significant weak link in terms of the materials inside it. There is also more about choosing a mattress/topper combination that you can’t test in person in post #2 here.

I think that you have a lot of research to do yet before you have good clarity about the “value” of a mattress or sleeping system and the differences in cost and quality between different types of materials and components because much of what you are suggesting or have somehow come to believe (in spite of the detailed information on the site) is very inaccurate.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the help, Phoenix.

I’m going with the Dreamfoam UD:Freedom, ordering on Amazon now.

Found your post describing the difference between the synth/natural latexes and all that, this was a much clearer picture of what I was looking for:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/latex-durability-vs-longetivity

The links were good reads, except I wasn’t about to buy books about it LOL.

Anyway, a thousand bucks for a proper mattress seems… good enough. I’m not about to drop 2 grand on any mattress of any sort, but I can swing the Freedom and… see what happens in 5-10 years. I figure 100 bucks a year is a decent depreciation rate, there are few reviews of latex I can find by guys who bought their mattresses say ten years ago and are giving status updates now, so we’ll see. Anyway thanks for all the help again.

Hi Jiggerjuice,

[quote]Found your post describing the difference between the synth/natural latexes and all that, this was a much clearer picture of what I was looking for:

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...ongetivity.html#1512

The links were good reads, except I wasn’t about to buy books about it LOL.[/quote]

I have about 6 reference posts that compare the different types and blends of latex that I use to answer questions and I try to link the one or ones that seem to be most relevant to the question but they all say basically the same thing with a little different emphasis on different parts of the comparison. The one you linked has the most “technical” information.

[quote]Anyway, a thousand bucks for a proper mattress seems… good enough. I’m not about to drop 2 grand on any mattress of any sort, but I can swing the Freedom and… see what happens in 5-10 years. I figure 100 bucks a year is a decent depreciation rate, there are few reviews of latex I can find by guys who bought their mattresses say ten years ago and are giving status updates now, so we’ll see. Anyway thanks for all the help again.

I’m going with the Dreamfoam UD:Freedom, ordering on Amazon now.[/quote]

Hopefully this comment will be in time but if you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon you would have the benefit of their comfort guarantee and they are also offering a 10% discount on orders that go through the Dreamfoam site as well (see their facebook site here).

You are certainly making a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on in for a bit.

Phoenix

Final results:

I went with…

with MU5 code. Soft as the top layer (n19 written in sharpie on the side lol).

And…

Xfirm 100% natural dunlop layer 1
Firm 100% natural dunlop layer 2
Medium 100% natural dunlop layer 3
King size 6" deep mattress zipper cover thing for the bottom layer.

Top two layers are still bare, in that they aren’t sealed by themselves in any way at the moment. Just normal mattress covers. So 12" of latex foam total, I think more than enough with the configuration of firmnesses per the above.

Everything came in just today, so I’m sleeping on it tonight for the first time.

I’m loving the bounciness right now. As does the wife. Untested, as I said, but first impressions are coinciding with what I wanted. The smell… anyone wondering about the smell. It smells… faintly like a delicious rubber band. The Arizona 100% Talalay, I mean.

All in, 1200 bucks from Foamorder for the free shipping, and 450 or so from Arizona. 1650 - way past my budget, but I’m pleased with the results so far. I guess this is overkill for most people, but I found brass’s advice

Going cheap or with something less than you wanted to begin with may haunt you in years to come where the extra money spent will probably be forgotten. I’d rather 2-3yrs from now you lay down and relax and think wow this bed still feels nice than toss and turn 2-3yrs down the road regretting not getting something else.

– compelling. Buy once for 20 years, right? And not just buying, but I’m pleased with the spec work. Xfirm Dunlop was 67 lbs according to UPS tracking info, Firm was 60, and medium was 55 lbs. Literally firmness == density, which I think makes sense. The Talalay soft was about 50 lbs shipping, so it really just lines up all the way down.

I think Foamorder’s clearance section is a real bargain. And the Arizona Talalay is just baller out of control. Really just the best bed ever designed. One more zippered cover and I’m totally done.

Hi Jiggerjuice,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know about all the choices that you ended up making.

It sounds like you did very well and I hope you have the chance to share an update after you’ve purchased your final cover and have also had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix