Foam topper over Latex mattress for the 'cush' feel?

went out again with a friend. I really like the ‘FEEL’ of the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze and also the Rhapsody. I just don’t feel confident with buying it because:
I’m not sure I will like the feel after a period of time
It will hold up
I might be hot ( I’m thinking the covering only keeps you cool for a short while and then temperature stabilizes)
There’s just a real uneasy, unsure feeling about it.

So, I think I’m going to go with the 10" SOFT MEDIUM FIRM combo that I guess they initially recommend to everyone. It’s not confidence inspiring, but I have to start somewhere. Hubby really liked the PLB Nature and I would probably love the PLB Nutrition as its right in between the Nature and Beautiful - but no one has it locally to try.

I guess the next step is to sleep on the various combos for at least 30 days. As we are doing Split King (2 Twin XLs) we will be able to try many combos if necessary.

And here’s the QUESTION:
I really like a semi-Cush feel. A little ‘give’ in the top layer. What would best achieve that? I’m thing choices then are:
2" latex topper
1-2" of foam - but I don’t know what kind to get or density
Wool topper

OR, should I be looking more at foam (which I really haven’t researched at all) based on my liking the feel of the TP?

Btw, I read the entire post of ‘Help in SW Fl’ (?) post by Beth819 from back in 2012. There were so many similarities in her search to mine. You have great patience. Thank you for explaining in such detail. Much I have to read numerous times.

Hi Harriett,

[quote]And here’s the QUESTION:
I really like a semi-Cush feel. A little ‘give’ in the top layer. What would best achieve that? I’m thing choices then are:
2" latex topper
1-2" of foam - but I don’t know what kind to get or density
Wool topper[/quote]

Unfortunately … firmness/softness is subjective and relative to the perceptions of different people and a mattress that feels soft for one person can feel firm to someone else so the only way to know what feels soft or firm (or “semi-cush”) to you will be based on your own testing or personal experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Post #2 here has more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them but I would avoid trying to design (or choose) your mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) and stick with either your own local testing or on more detailed conversations with knowledgeable and experienced online retailers or manufacturers.

I would also avoid choosing a mattress with the intention of adding a topper unless you can test the mattress/topper combination in person (see post #2 here) because choosing a topper that you can’t test in person that is suitable for you on the mattress you are sleeping on can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress in the first place.

If you do buy a mattress that in spite of your “best efforts” ends up being too firm and you don’t have any other options available and decide to add a topper for additional “comfort/pressure relief” then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your actual sleeping experience on your mattress to decide on the type, thickness, and firmness that will have the best chance of success but hopefully that won’t be necessary.

There is also more about wool toppers in post #8 here and the posts it links to which also includes a link to some of the better wool topper sources I’m aware of.

Phoenix