Foldable Queen Mattress 100% Organic Cotton Needed - Serious Skin Allergy Issue

Hi SleepWell 98 and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

So for the last 2 years I’ve been suffering from a major skin irritation issue, the irritation symptom occurs when I’m laying directly on any bed mattress. The best way I can describe the symptom is that my Skin starts to sting, heat up, and sometimes even itches.
I’ve tried Naturepedic Mattresses, Latex Mattress, Also tried PLA/Coconut/Wool Futon mattress options and still this symptoms still occurred
. My only thought is that some how these mattress options had some form of Boric Acid used in the cotton and wool which I know is a pesticide

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having allergic reactions to the mattresses you have tried. It does sound like a some type of allergy is at play here. Have you been given antsy sort fi allergen reaction test by a healthcare provider? Your suspicion that boric acid is to blame is very specific; depending where you buy the mattress from there can be literally hundreds of chemicals used in the production of mattresses, including pesticides, anti-fungals, and moisture repellants, as well as adhesives and other bonding agents, along with the chemicals that can be found in memory foam, polyurethane foam and the like. For your own peace of mind, as well as health, you should consider finding out exactly which chemical or chemicals are causing you issues.

I did just recently order a Green Cotton Stow Mattress from White Lotus, and they confirmed there is no Boric Acid, Antimony or PBE’s or Toxins used in this mattress and it’s pretty mobile and compact, I just don’t want to commit to large mattress like I did last time, so any help with the issue I’m dealing with would be most appreciated.

It would be difficult to recommend any specific mattresses without knowing much about chemicals and the exact chemical culprit(s)…of course any mattress is unique to those sleeping on it, based on Stats (Stats (Height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP (posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences). If you find something you do not react to you’d still need to look into the level of comfort you get from the product. Without your stats would be difficult to comment on what might be comfortable for you (even though I understand this is not an issue for you at this time). You may also find some helpful information regarding allergies in this post

The White Lotus is a 3" cotton twill pad, for camping, temporary sleeping space and futons. It sounds like you want to use this as a sort of mattress topper and buffer between you and the mattress you are currently owning. From an allergy standpoint this product seems like it would not include many, if any, chemicals used in its’ construction, so this is a way to test your reaction. One tip, if you may want to consider if you are going to use this as a topper is to prevent it from moving use a double-sided tape or Velcro tape, as the straps used for rolling it up may not be adaptable to securing it. I’d also use a mattress protector to encase the mattress itself to restrict the evaporation or leaching of the chemical you react to. Phoenix advises the use of “protectors made with a pore size of about 5 - 6 microns or less which prevents most allergens from penetrating the fabric.”

I don’t know much about allergies, how they are triggered, and much less how to mitigate them but if this doesn’t resolve your problem and you still need a foldable mattress that does not contain boric acid…many of the Trusted Members of the site offer thinner mattresses as well as custom and futon mattresses. It would be best to ask any manufacturer if boric acid did is used in their offerings, as you have done with the White Lotus. This is a 3" mattress made of cotton twill. Again, without any of your Stats or PPP we can only give you a general idea of where to look for possible solutions. Trusted Members of the site such as CozyPure, Dormio Organic Beds, Shepherd’s Dream and also My Green Mattress among others, all offer green, organic and chemical free sleep products of wool, organic cotton and other natural materials for example; they can answer your questions on what chemicals, if any, are in their products.

Maybe someone experienced with allergic reactions and chemicals that can triggers them sees your post and gives a little more insight. I hope your new year is allergic-reaction free and filled with comfortable nights!

~ Basilio