Former waterbed sleeper looking for a soft cool mattress as a side-sleeper

I need to have a mattress made of natural materials, given I have a lot of allergies. At the same time, I am moving from a waterbed as a side-sleeper, where my shoulders and hips could be comfortable in any position.

We live in the Seattle area, so we went to Soaring Heart, which makes beautiful mattresses. My husband, as a back sleeper fell in love. I could not get comfortable, no matter how thick the topper was. I found out that they only use talalay latex, because they found dunlop latex broke down before their 20 year warranty.

Could someone specify which mattress materials might work best for a side-sleeper accustomed to a waterbed. Also, it would be really helpful if you can provide any manufacturers I could contact or visit. If I need to travel to try the best mattress for me, I am willing to do that!

1 Like

Correction - Soaring Heart uses Dunlop latex, which was too hard on my shoulders and hip as a side-sleeper. Also, I would like to get a twin mattress for under $3,000, but that is not a firm $ limit.

1 Like

Hi Nonada,

Soaring Heart makes some really beautiful mattresses (although somewhat limited in their choices) and bedroom essentials, and it’s great that you were able to visit them and try things in person. They have a well-deserved reputation for focusing on quality natural materials.

That said, given your experience with a waterbed and the amount of pressure relief you need as a side-sleeper, I’d also encourage you to talk with @PlankAndCoil. I realize they’re a couple of hours from you, but they offer a very wide variety of natural materials mattresses and configurations. With the number of options they have, there’s an excellent chance they can put together something that gives you the softer, more conforming feel you’re looking for without sacrificing your preference for natural materials.

If you’re willing to travel to find the right mattress, I think it would be worth giving them a call and explaining exactly what you’re looking for before making the drive. Your waterbed background and the fact that your shoulders and hips need significantly more cushioning are important details for them to know. The folks there are top notch and are pro’s at fitting you with options that will make the trip worthwhile.

Maverick

1 Like