Found my mattress style, where to find options/suppliers?

This site is incredible and I’m so grateful for everyone here, especially Phoenix, for educating me on mattresses. My question here (long of the short) is: what is this style of mattress called, and how/where do I find suppliers?

Today I found my ideal mattress style. The product I saw was made by Berkeley Ergonomic. It had a base layer of 2-layered coils and latex, with a comfort layer of springs, latex, and wool. There was no poly foam at all, and all of this was wrapped in a single zippered case, so layers could be changed/replaced in the future. This is my ideal bed, and in terms of body position and comfort it was absolutely perfect.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: flybynight.com/Sonata-Triple-Coil-Natural-Mattress_p_2800.html

The things that I didn’t love about the bed where a) the lack of a foam casing/support around the outside of the bed, b) the use of curved wood slats to act as springs under the bed (which seem to be the durability weak point), and c) I can’t find info on the coil springs. I’d prefer a little more luxurious overall package but this is probably related to the absence of a foam casing. This bed feels perfect to lay on and I know that’s what really matters, so I absolutely haven’t ruled it out. It has all the components I am looking for in a bed, and its available locally.

So, who makes similar beds with multiple layers of coils, only latex foam, and with replaceable components?

Hi If It Wasn’t For The Foam,

Your question is incredibly similar to one here on the forum posted just a few days ago. I’d refer you to my reply in post #2 here. The mattress you’re attempting to copy has a quite unique structure and there aren’t many off of the top of my head that are similar except what I listed in that post.

Also, if you’re interested in mattresses made without foam, you may wish to look at this post as well.

There’s more complete information about the products and components used by Berkeley Ergonomics on their web site, and I do think highly of them. The different spring units come form Germany and Sweden and are quite high quality. You certainly could contact BE if you desired more specific information and see what they would be willing to provide and what they would consider proprietary. The flexible slat system is actually quite durable, but not necessary is you wouldn’t want to use it. Some do like the ability to customize different zones, and it will have an impact upon the comfort of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

Considering you taught me everything I know about mattresses, I think I’ll just take your word for Berkeley’s spring quality :slight_smile:

It’s funny there was such a similar post just a few days ago! Sorry for not researching first, and thanks for pointing me in that direction.

That top layer of microcoils just does it for me - I’ll see what else I can find, but I’m feeling pretty good about the local mattress I tried. It was so cool to talk to a mattress salesperson who had the same views as me and completely understood what I was looking for :slight_smile:

Once again, Phoenix… Thank You.

Hi If It Wasn’t For The Foam,

No worries! There are so many posts here to search through, and while it was odd to have two questions about such a similar product in such a short time-frame, it did help save me some time with the reply! :lol:

As you know I think highly of the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses and I also think highly of the people at Fly By Night. In my conversations with them they have always been helpful, informative, and open about their mattresses.

You’re welcome.

Phoenix