From Innerspring to Sleep Number to Latex to Tuft & Needle

My husband and I have been on a pretty extensive bed journey and wanted to share our experience in the hope that it helps other people on the same journey.

We were sleeping on an eight year old queen-sized Simmons Beauty Rest pillow top. When we first got it, it was pretty comfortable, but over time the pillow top developed significant body impressions, of course. We bought a three inch memory foam as a band-aid to try to make it comfortable for a little longer. Eventually that didn’t work anymore, so we started bed shopping.

We had friends who raved about the Sleep Number bed, so that’s where we started. We were impressed with the snazzy sales pitch and thought the M9 (the one with the memory foam) was the most comfortable, so we bought it.

Within two nights, I knew I couldn’t sleep on it. My husband liked it, but he had his number so soft that when he moved around, it would bounce my side around. And no matter what number I put my side on, it felt too hard. The memory foam was probably of a low enough quality that it compressed too much and didn’t offer any pressure point relief. Not to mention the fact that it had almost a hammock effect. My back was terribly unhappy. So, we sent that back and the search was on the for the next option.

We went to local furniture and mattress stores, laying on everything we could find. We liked the feel of the Tempur-pedic Cloud but we didn’t like the smell, price, or the possibility that it wouldn’t last very long.

We decided to look at latex. I had read many positive reviews and liked the fact that we could by an organic mattress with longevity. We settled on a Flo-Bed because we could customize each side of the bed. Dave, at Flo-Beds, was extremely helpful assisting to configure our mattress. We ordered a firmer side for my husband who is about 220 pounds, and something a little softer for me at 135.

When it arrived, it was clear that it was a high quality product. It was easy to put together and it seemed to feel great right away. Absolutely no smell. Then, I slept on it. It was clear that my side was much to firm. I was having terrible pressure point issues. Of course my husband was again sleeping like a baby. I was starting to feel like the Princess and the Pea. One thing I noticed was that my muscles didn’t hurt, at all. My alignment was much improved from our old bed and the sleep number bed. But the pressure points were waking me up several times a night.

Dave and Dewey were very helpful sending out various layers to try to get my side soft enough. I must have tried 20 different combinations. When my husband was out of town one week, I finally found a combination that was perfect! But then my husband came home and when he laid on his side, my side was so soft, it made a depression deep enough that made me feel like I was going to roll into him. My lower back was so sore from trying to stay in my spot. I learned that if my side was firmer, it would stay level but it hurt my pressure points, and if it was soft enough to be comfortable, I was going to roll.

Another thing that was disturbing my sleep was the incredible bounciness that latex had. Every time my husband would roll over, I would bounce around and wake up. I was hoping if I could get my side comfortable enough, I could get used the the extreme motion transfer. But I never did. And I never could get my side to feel stable enough either. Much to my poor husband’s dismay, the Flo-Bed had to go back. And let me tell you, boxing that thing up was torture. Latex is the most wiggly, rubbery stuff to try to fold up. It took hours to get the boxes packed back up.

By this time, I was feeling very discouraged, and my husband, while trying to be patient, was getting a little annoyed.

I started looking at some of the mail order foam bed options on the internet: Tuft and Needle, Leesa, Casper, etc. I was impressed by the prices and by the trial periods. We figured we didn’t have anything to lose at this point and the reviews were mostly favorable. We went with the Tuft and Needle 10 primarily because of price, but also because of its participation on the Mattress Underground.

It arrived in a timely manner in a box that I was able to move myself by flipping it end to end into the bedroom. The mattress itself was light enough to unpack and put on out adjustable base by myself, as well. It expanded rapidly. I was concerned it might smell, but unless I put my nose right up to it, it didn’t smell like much. That night, we crawled in. It is quite a firm mattress. Had I laid on it in a store, I would have thought it was too firm, but amazingly, I slept like a baby that night. My body was perfectly aligned. And even better, because of the firmness, my husband did not create a dip I felt I was going to roll into. As for motion transfer, it’s like being in bed alone, which is to say I feel absolutely nothing when my husband moves around. It’s heaven!

We’ve had it for several months now, and occasionally I will have a random pressure point issue, but a slight adjustment in how I am laying fixes it immediately. And it’s never enough to wake me up. I found that I had to experiment with pillows, as the latex one I had been using was a little too flat and soft to support my head and neck well. I think because of the firmness of the mattress, I float a little higher on it. So far, a Biosense contoured memory foam neck pillow is working well because it’s taller under my neck.

As far as bedroom activities, it’s perfect. It’s so easy to move around on, has great stability, and a complete lack of bounce, which we prefer. As an aside, changing positions before falling asleep is very easy, too. I didn’t like the wet-sand feel of moving around on the memory foam topper at all.

Besides the lack of motion transfer, the thing I love the most is not sleeping hot. At our lake home, we have an older mattress with a memory foam topper that I think is relatively comfortable, but now I notice how hot it sleeps. Something about the Tuft and Needle bed is magical in the way it dissipates heat without feeling creepy-cool like those Tempur-Breeze mattresses. And for a gal in her early 40s, this is important!

Perhaps not surprisingly, we have just placed an order for a Tuft and Needle 10 mattress for our lake home, too. My husband insisted, and I didn’t argue!

I’m happy to answer any questions current bed-seekers have about any of the beds I mentioned. Good luck!

Hi Trinityklm,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experiences in such great detail … I appreciate it!

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that you were able to find a mattress that worked so well for both of you.

Phoenix

Wow. What a great story.

I think I have become a Talalay latex snob as of late but have been thinking of trying the SleepEZ Roma, a double- sided Dunlop latex mattress w/a polyurethane flex foam quilted top layer. Now your great story has me reconsidering the Tuft & Needle polyurethane mattress. Sigh. so hard to pick one.

Trinityklm thanks for taking the time to post your story. I suspect lots of the folks here are a little obsessive and appreciate the detail, I surely do.
We started our search looking at Memory Foam…I liked the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze (except for the price), hubby prefers the Serta Savant. He sleeps on his side and I sleep on my stomach… At about 1am last night (when I couldn’t sleep) I discovered this site, and began thinking we should look at a SleepEZ - the customizable sides sound like a great solution for us…AND we live less than an hour from their showroom in Tempe!!
I spoke to someone on the phone, and they are so used to making recommendations online and via the phone, he said a visit isn’t required, but I figure since we live here it would be silly not to drive over and at least try them in person. If we can’t make it in the next week, it will be awhile as hubby is having a knee replacement next week. I will take a look at that Tuft and Needle you mentioned in your post. Just curious, do you sleep on your side, stomach or back? It seems harder to find a good solution when you’re both looking for a different “fit.”

I know…It’s such a hard journey for those of us with high standards and/or special considerations. What feels good in the store, or feels good to the bank account, or what the neighbors like, doesn’t always translate to a great sleep night after night for us. It can be so discouraging.

The biggest thing I learned was that mattresses that feel wonderful in the store are probably the worst for my body. It means that for me, the hours that I spend sunk into a squishy, cozy surface will result in a lot of muscle pain in the morning.

I am primarily a side-sleeper, but will sometimes end up on my back. I generally sleep with a pillow between my knees. My husband is also a side-sleeper. While this mattress is quite firm, there is just enough give for the hips and shoulders. As I mentioned in my previous post, it took me some experimenting to find the right pillow that works with my body and the way the bed supports me. I require a firmer, taller pillow than I did on my previous mattress.

I think the thing that internet-only mattress sales have brought to the industry is completely risk-free trials and a super straight forward buying experience. In most cases, the customer doesn’t even have to box up the mattress should it not work for them. And many of the companies donate the mattress in your area, so trying one of these mattresses seems like a great place to start and go to some of the more risky mattress trials from there.

I thought I’d post a follow up as we visited the SleepEZ and Tuft and Needle showrooms this weekend.
The SleepEZ rep I spoke to on the phone said they’ve made so many recommendations on the phone they usually get it right and a visit isn’t necessary. He was spot on! We tried several configurations and both preferred exactly what he had recommended. I thought people hesitating because they can’t try out the mattress would appreciate knowing that. Also the padding on the cover eliminates any sensation that you’ve got two separate sleeping surfaces. An extra bonus–since we are local the will deliver, set up and haul away the old mattress!
Then we went to Tuft and Needle. We both found this “one size fits all” really did fit! At $750 for a king with no tax and a 100 day 100% refund policy AND a generous 6.5% MU discount, there is no reason not to give this mattress a try! As long as I can find a place that will come into the house to take away our old one, we are going to go with T&N. I will report back as the story unfolds.

From innerspring to most likely Tuft & Needle. We have been lifetime customers of The Original Mattress Factory. We’re currently sleeping on a 5 year old ultra firm pillow top mattress. During a recent visit to Toronto, we slept on a latex over memory foam mattress for 3 days without knowing it. We slept so well there it led us to investigate our real sleep needs. A quick search landed us here and we are so, so thankful. Since we’ve been home we have come to realize how uncomfortable and hot our current mattress sleeps.

I’m very thankful and appreciative to all who participate at The Mattress Underground. We are nearing the end of our mattress search based on the information and learning offered at this site.

What have we learned?

1. Our current slats are too far apart. The platform bed is manufactured with slats built in to the frame and the hardwood slats are only 3/4" X 1 1/2" with the thinner edge against the mattress and only 6" on center. Tuft & Needle didn’t hesitate to inform me via email that the spacing is not acceptable for their mattress. My plan is to modify the slats by overlaying 1" X 4" fir slats over existing slats permanently fastened with glue and screws. The 3/4" height gain won’t matter much since we’re disposing of a 12" mattress and replacing with a 10" mattress.
  2. There are many online mattress offers. However, I’m most impressed with the honesty and transparency of several discussed at TMU.
  3. An opportunity to evaluate a mattress for 100 days. A mattress company has to be very confident in their product to take such a risk. And the risk is totally on them. That’s a great offer.
  4. The Mattress Shopping Tutorial. Please be sure to read it twice before you even begin shopping.

I’ll be ordering my new mattress soon and feedback will follow.

Hi PapaMike,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own so it wouldn’t get mixed in with the comments in a different topic.

It’s great to hear that the information here was able to help you and assuming that you end up deciding to pull the trigger on your Tuft & Needle … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

The Tuft & Needle doesn’t have any latex or memory foam in its design so I’ll also be curious to hear your comments about how the Tuft & Needle high performance polyfoam compares to the latex over memory foam comfort layers that you liked so much in Toronto.

Thanks for taking the time to share all your comments and experience … I appreciate it!

Phoenix

Hi kbleurope,

Assuming you end up deciding to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Some of the suggestions in this topic may be helpful.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your assistance in moving the link and a reminder that Tuft & Needle is not latex over memory foam, but rather an adaptive foam. I’m ok with that, so long as it sleeps well, is cool, and in the middle supportive.