Frustrated...need help please.

I am so frustrated with trying to find a mattress that meets my standards while also trying to comparison shop for price. I feel like I constantly have to read between the lines with every mattress company I’ve encountered so far. I would like to have a 6-8" 100% natural latex mattress. It can be all 100% natural dunlop processed or a mixture of that and 100% natural talalay. The latex should have an Oeko-Tex certification which I assume most do. In addition, I want to have a 100% certified organic cotton cover with 100% certified organic wool. I am also willing to forgo the wool in a “do it yourself” type of construction. The problem is the wording on various websites and trying to make sure of what is meant. As an example, I emailed one “do it yourself” company and asked if their latex is 100% natural dunlop with an Oeko-Tex certification because nowhere on their website do they say “100%” natural. They responded with, “Buried in our natural latex product is the Oeko-Tex Certification…” What does that even mean? Buried within our product? The next sentence they say, “Also, our latex is as you say, 100% natural Dunlop processed latex.” So why the weird wording about the certification being buried in their “latex product”? I’m so over the top skeptical of all companies right now that I’m maybe making a big deal out of nothing, but I’m frustrated nonetheless. I asked another company several questions about their product and they conveniently “forgot” to respond to my question, “are your covers 100% certified organic cotton?”. They did, however, mention that their cover is “made completely with organic cotton.” When I asked again about the 100% certified part of my question, they apologized for forgetting to answer that and informed me that their covers are not certified organic cotton. Why does this have to be so complicated?! Do you know of a product that meets my expectations that is $1000 or less?

I forgot to mention I’m looking for a TWIN size mattress for $1000 or less. I would really appreciate it if you can steer me in a direction :-).

Hi kll4,

I don’t know if you’ve read it yet but just in case you haven’t the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Once you have a better understanding of some of the basics it will be much easier to “read between the lines” or perhaps better yet be able to recognize who to deal with where the information they provide doesn’t have to be “interpreted” at all.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (Dunlop or Talalay made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will all have been certified by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s (see post #2 here) and would be a “safe” material.

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to also have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how green is green enough for me” or even “how organic is organic enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I don’t know what they meant by their reply either (they may have meant that the latex that is Oeko-Tex certified is buried inside the mattress and isn’t the only material in the mattress) but I would tend to avoid using email for questions if there could be any “it depends” in the answer or if it can’t be answered in a single sentence. When you are looking for the best possible information and guidance from a manufacturer … I would make sure you have a more detailed phone conversation rather than using email (see post #2 here and post #4 here) so that you can clarify anything that you didn’t understand or that needs clarification much more quickly and completely.

There is also more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for with each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between different mattresses based on all the criteria that are most important to you.

I would always keep in mind that the knowledge, experience, transparency, and guidance of a good retailer or manufacturer can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase because they will already know what you would otherwise need to learn. They will also know the specifics of their mattresses better than anyone and in combination with your own testing and feedback will be your best source of guidance about which of their mattress will have the best chance of success.

While I can certainly help to narrow things down and help with “how” to choose and what to avoid … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress or decide on the types of mattresses and materials that you are most interested in trying and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which specific mattress design or combination of materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). What is “best” for you either in terms of a mattress or a manufacturer/retailer can be very different from what would be “best” for someone else.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may be well worth considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including price of course).

There may also be some good options available that are local to you and if you let me know your closest city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are in your area as well.

Phoenix