Gardner mattress,MA. Pocked coils and latex combination?.

Just been through 2 problem mattress purchases. First was a defective quality TRue energy Beautyrest from major dept. store… The seams separated between the memory foam insert and edge of mattress… Got them to take it back and put back on my credit card; and a had a terrible customer service experience.

Second time I did my research and learned from this site… Went to a small family owned company I saw mentioned on this site. We went there and thought we found the perfect mattress. Pocked coils and 1 inch latex on top. Upon delivery /set up I noticed the mattress did not fit properly on the box-springs (which came with it). It was several inches shorter than the box spring at head and foot areas. Also frowned and bowed on each side. The box springs were exposed at the head and foot ends, meaning the mattress did not cover it… The mattress was not even.This was the most distorted mattress I had ever seen. Delivery men called store to report this problem and I could hear the manager screaming thru the phone that he was busy . They called again and he then told them to massage and push it into place. It was from standing on the loading dock?? Delivery guys did this but no change… There was definitely a mistake in the manufacturing of this piece. . Delivery men called back again and said I was not going to accept this delivery… They packed it all up and to take back. Finally the manager called delivery men back and said they would remake or give me a refund… I asked for the refund, as I was not impressed with his initial customer service response… This was not a cheap mattress, quite expensive, $100.for delivery, and no real discount from the ticket price… Signs in the store the day of purchase said anniversary Sale. They guy threw in two pillows and mattress protector… which I also gave back.

My neighbor had called the store as soon as I told her I was buying a mattress there so she was going to get one too. They were willing to give her no delivery charge and extra discounts. In the end she did not order from them… They may be a very good company to purchase and deal with, but unfortunately I was not comfortable about this transaction.

Now leaning with Gardner mattress; pocked coils with 2 or 3inch latex on top. Really not sure anymore? Concerned that 2 inch is too firm and 3 inch will start sagging… I noticed that some people on this site have made purchases from Gardner for this product? Any advice out there?

I have purchased from this company before. They are reliable and customer service is good… I still have the mattress I bought there many years ago,but is too firm for my body…even with latex topper… It is now in a guest room.

Follow up… Just to say I ordered the 3 inch latex with pocketed coils… It has been delivered and we have been sleeping on it for the past week… Service was wonderful, and the bed seems to be very comfortable…No complaints!

Hi alyopps,

That’s great news … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It sounds to me like you made a good choice and I certainly think highly of the quality of Gardner’s mattresses as well as their knowledge and service.

Phoenix

Hi. I’m considering purchasing one of several mattresses:. The options I’ve narrowed it down to include:

Gardner Mattress 100% Latex Medium
Gardner Mattress latex (2" or 3" options) over coil
PLB Nature
Spindle

How should I compare and contrast these options after reading through the tutorial and forums here and trying out all of the mattresses (all of which I’ve done)? PLB is 10" of Talalay, Spindle is 9" of Dunlop, Gardner 100% latex is 8" of Talalay and the Gardner Pocketed Coil mattresses are thicker with either 2" or 3" of Talalay.

Thanks. Any guidance that you could offer would be appreciated.

Hi Sleepscience,

You are certainly looking at some good choices!

It’s great to see that you’ve read the tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

All of the mattresses you are considering use high quality and very durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would be a reason for any concern in terms of durability so I would treat them as being closely comparable in terms of durability and any one of them would be well worth considering.

There is more about the pros and cons of a component mattress with unglued layers and a zip cover (such as the Spindle) vs a “finished mattresses” that has glued layers (like the others) in post #15 here and post #2 here.

There is also more information about latex/pocket coil hybrids (such as the Gardner Pocket coil) vs all latex mattresses (the others) in post #13 here and the posts it links to.

There is more about some of the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here and there is more about all the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but the choice between different types and blends of latex is also a preference and budget choice vs a “better/worse” choice and the best way to know which types of latex (or which types of mattresses) you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing and personal experience.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight range (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks so much for that incredibly detailed and helpful information!

One more question. The Gardner pocketed coil mattresses with 2" and 3" of latex also contain non-latex foam, don’t they? If so, is the non-latex foam as durable as latex and is off-gassing a potential issue? Thanks.

Hi Sleepscience,

Their pocket coil mattresses are available with polyfoam, memory foam, or latex. As far as I know their latex versions don’t contain any polyfoam although it’s possible there could be some in the quilting but they would be the best source of information about the specifics of all the materials in their mattresses.

The durability of polyfoam or memory foam depends primarily on the density. While some non latex foams are also very durable materials and in some cases can be similar to latex … in very general terms latex will be more durable than either memory foam or polyfoam.

If their foam is poured in the US (which I believe it is) then almost all of the US foam manufacturers are CertiPUR-US certified (see here). You can see the CertiPUR-US testing guidelines here so they would certainly be “safe enough” for most people in terms of containing any harmful substances or VOC’s.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Pcertipur.us/find-a-foam-supplier/ | Archived Footprint 2: certipur.us/pages/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CertiPUR-US_Technical_Guidelines_1-1-2016.pdf

Phoenix