GEMMA Mattress at Sleepy's - good non-toxic option?

I have a 7 month old baby at home and recently purchased a tempurpedic mattress which is offgassing so horribly (for 2 months now) that i am going to return it. I am interested in purchasing a non/low toxicity bed and sleepys offers the GEMMA mattress - but i can’t seem to find many reviews on it. it appears to have good certifications through Oekotex but it is hard to know what to trust. I would like a latex organic mattress but cant’ afford to spend $6K on one (we need a california king) and every option i’ve looked at is in this price range.

Does anyone have feedback on GEMMA and whether it is a safe option? I’d like to have a mattress that is safe for my baby to lie on.

Hi kaforse,

Post #2 here includes links to most of the better posts and threads throughout the forum that talk about mattresses and children.

While the materials in Spaldin Mattresses in general and their Gemma Mattresses in particular are “safe” in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (to their credit all their materials are Oeko-Tex certified as you mentioned) … I personally wouldn’t consider using memory foam in a mattress for babies or small children and I think there are many better options (including latex) available to you in similar or even lower price ranges than the Gemma.

I would seriously hesitate to pay $6000 for even a high quality latex mattress in king size for an adult … and there are many latex options available to you for a fraction of the price. All the latex you are likely to encounter whether it’s Talalay, Dunlop and made from synthetic latex, natural latex, or a blend is either certified through Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut and would be “safe”.

I would also make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which includes a link to several online manufacturers that are members here that sell a wide range of latex mattresses online and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Hopefully it will also keep you out of the chain stores such as Sleepys and help you look in much better directions :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Pheonix - thank you so much for your post - and for all the information on this website! Given how long we’ve all been sleeping on mattresses it is alarming how hard it is to navigate either non-toxic or ecofriendly options and all the greenwashing. What you’re doing here is an incredible service :slight_smile:

I live in Manhattan - so far I’ve only found the Clean Bedroom which had the 6K options as well as My Essentia which offered the same. Ideally I would like to purchase from a vendor where I can try the product first as I’m unlikely to purchase online without having tested first.

Do you have any critiques of the Gemma mattresses? Or have you heard any consistent complaints in their product?

Much appreciated

Hi kaforse,

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the NYC area are listed in post #2 here and there is also a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of some of them in post #7 here.

Clean Bedroom has a number of latex mattresses as well that are considerably less than 6K (even in a king size).

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and their claims and some forum discussions with them in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here.

You can see some of my comments about them in post #2 here.

Phoenix