General DIY Build Questions

My current worn Amerisleep mattress (AS2 I think its called now) seems to be comprised of 3 layers:
2″ memory foam 4 PCF, 10 ILD
3″ polyfoam - 1.65 PCF, 30 ILD
7″ polyfoam - 1.5 PCF, 35 ILD

It was great when I first got it and I am upgrading to a larger size mattress and looking for something similar. Also I’m curious about dunlop latex.

My Current DIY Build Idea:
Comfort: maybe 2" 4LB ViscoPLUSH Memory Foam (BLUE) ~14LB ILD
Transition: 2" Dunlop Latex (Medium - 29 ILD) 4.6LB Density
Support: 5" HD-36 HQ 36 ILD
(Purchasing from FBM, cheap and local)

Q1: I cut off 3 inches, hoping it wouldn’t make a huge difference. What difference might there be in this case?

Q2: Can I add on the other 3 inches later and be just as good as if they weren’t cut? Similarly how would one 6in compare to six 1in stacked layers?

Q3: Switching polyfoam to a similar ILD latex as a middle layer, is that making any crazy differences?

Q4: What kind of options are there for durable king size pocket coils for 200LB people? I heard people had bad experiences with bowl-ing.

Q5: What happens when you have a firmer layer over a softer layer? What does that do to the experience?

Q6: Would a split King without glue for inner layers and a stretchy cover keep together well?

Q7: Any benefit to two transition layers? Like the Amerisleep AS5

Thank you in advance <3

Hi wwsd,
Welcome to the MattressUnderGround and joining us as a new Mugster.

When selecting a mattress system, it’s crucial to take into account your personal profile, including factors such as weight, height, personal preferences, pressure relief needs, and posture and alignment conditions.

Without this vital information, it becomes challenging to evaluate the mattress builds you’re considering. While I’ll do my best to provide general insights, please understand that without the relevant details, some aspects of my responses may be speculative. If you can provide more specific information about your personal profile and preferences, I can offer more tailored guidance.

However, I’ll continue to address your questions from a general perspective, considering common factors that influence mattress selection and performance.

Q1: Cutting off 3 inches from your mattress layers can indeed make a noticeable difference, especially in terms of support and overall feel. Removing 3 inches from the comfort layer might result in less contouring and pressure relief, while removing it from the support layer might compromise the overall firmness and stability of the mattress.

Q2: Adding the 3 inches back later might not fully restore the original feel of the mattress, as the layers might not integrate seamlessly. Additionally, stacking six 1-inch layers might not provide the same support and consistency as a single 6-inch layer, as there could be slight variations in feel and performance between individual layers.

Q3: Switching from polyfoam to latex as a middle layer can result in differences in feel and performance. Latex tends to be more responsive and durable compared to polyfoam, and it may offer better pressure relief and support.

Q4: For durable king-size pocket coils suitable for individuals weighing 200lbs, look for coils with higher gauge wire (thicker gauge 12.75-13.75) and higher coil count per unit area. Mattresses with durable pocket coil systems designed to support heavier individuals without sagging or forming indentations are preferred.

Q5: Placing a firmer layer over a softer layer can provide a combination of support and contouring. The firmer layer offers deep support and prevents excessive sinking, while the softer layer provides comfort and pressure relief. This configuration can create a balanced feel with adequate support and cushioning. Having said that, I am someone who prefers when the layers progressively get firmer as they go down from the top of the mattress as some issues can arise. Here are a few to consider.

The downside of placing a firm layer on top of a softer layer can potentially cause support and sinking issues, depending on the specific characteristics of the layers and the individual’s preferences and needs.

• Support Disruption: If the firm layer is too rigid or thick, it may interfere with the contouring ability of the softer layer beneath it. This can lead to inadequate support, especially for individuals who need more conformity to their body’s natural curves.
  • Uneven Distribution of Pressure: A firm layer on top may create localized pressure points, particularly if it doesn’t conform well to the body. This can result in discomfort and potentially disrupt sleep quality.
  • Sinking Sensation: Depending on the thickness and density of the softer layer, it may compress excessively under the weight of the body, causing a sensation of sinking. The firmer layer above might not provide enough support to counteract this sinking feeling, leading to discomfort or alignment issues.

Q6: A split King without glue for inner layers can stay together well if the outer cover or encasement is designed to securely hold the layers in place. A stretchy cover with good elasticity can help maintain alignment and prevent shifting of the layers during use.

Q7: Having two transition layers can offer additional support and comfort customization. It allows for more gradual transitions between the comfort and support layers, potentially enhancing pressure relief and overall comfort, especially for individuals with specific support needs or preferences. However, whether this configuration provides significant benefits compared to a single transition layer depends on individual preferences and requirements.

Wow, that was a mouthful and a lot to take in.

We can take a peek at the differences between your two configurations, but again, your experience will differ depending on your personal profile and preferences.

2″ memory foam 4 PCF, 10 ILD
3″ polyfoam - 1.65 PCF, 30 ILD
7″ polyfoam - 1.5 PCF, 35 ILD

Comfort:
2" 4LB ViscoPLUSH Memory Foam (BLUE) ~14LB ILD
Transition:
2" Dunlop Latex (Medium - 29 ILD) 4.6LB Density
Support:
5" HD-36 HQ 36 ILD

Comfort Layer:
Your proposed ViscoPLUSH Memory Foam layer is similar in thickness to the current memory foam layer but with a higher density and ILD. This may provide a firmer initial feel compared to your current mattress. One consideration is that the Visco Plush may retain heat and soften prematurely. While viscoelastic memory foam offers great pressure relief and contouring, it may be a weak link in your mattress. And remember, a mattress is only as good as its weakest link. Since this is a diy, you can always replace this comfort layers with a talalay latex of a similar or slightly higher ILD or an alternate comfort layer in the future.

Transition Layer:
Your proposed Dunlop Latex layer is slightly thinner but has a higher ILD compared to the current polyfoam transition layer. The Dunlop Latex may offer more responsiveness and support. Keep in mind, latex is going to be a bit bouncier than polyfoam, but dunlop may prove to be more resilient and durable.

Support Layer:
Your proposed support layer is thinner but has a similar ILD to the current polyfoam support layer. It may offer comparable support but with slightly less thickness. I tend to prefer a pocketed spring support layer in the high 12’s to mid 13’s gauge over an all foam support layer, particularly for those over 200lbs. I feel this adds durability, longevity and better support.

Comparison and Potential Differences:

Your proposed DIY build utilizes higher density materials and slightly different layer thicknesses compared to your current mattress. This may result in a firmer overall feel with potentially better durability and support. I like this for folks who are 200lbs and up.

The transition from memory foam to Dunlop Latex in your DIY build may provide a different feel compared to the transition from polyfoam to polyfoam in your current mattress. Dunlop Latex is known for its responsiveness and buoyancy, which could affect the overall feel and responsiveness of the mattress.

The slight differences in layer thickness and material properties may lead to variations in comfort and support compared to your current mattress.

Overall, your proposed DIY build seems to be a suitable upgrade from your current mattress, offering potential improvements in support, durability, and overall comfort. However, the differences in materials and layer configurations may result in a slightly different sleeping experience, so it’s essential to consider your preferences and comfort requirements carefully.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope this helps.

Maverick

@Maverick Thank you so much for the amazing response. It is a lot to take in but you answered everything flawlessly. It means a lot to me and I will follow up if I have more questions. I just had to make sure you knew how well the response was received.

1 Like

Sometimes i go on for too long, but i try to be thorough, particularly when folks seem to need extra guidance.

Whatever you choose to do keep us posted on your progress.

Maverick

So I currently have this setup going for me now:
2" 3Lb Memory Foam ≈15 (±4) ILD
2" Dunlop Latex (Medium - 29 ILD) 4.6LB Density
1" Dunlop Latex (Medium - 29 ILD) 4.6LB Density
6" HD-36 HQ 36 ILD

All blocks of foam wrapped up in a mattress protector right now for testing.

Working great, so much better than my worn out Amerisleep. I could just be me overthinking / misremembering since it’s been so long but iirc other mattresses have felt better / more comfortable or impressive. I think its partially because the top layer is so form. But even so this one works and seems to do all the right things. I feel it keeps me straight (except for on the side it doesnt have equal height out of upper and lower back.

I need to figure out what size mattress case. They are expensive so I need to make a decision that will last forever basically. I’m hoping one day I can get some springs to try a hybrid style. And that planning I think causes me to have to fill out more mattress height then I really need right now.

A) My thought process was that 8 inches of coils seem to be the most common standard of coil (instead of 6"). And it’s proper to have 1" base below the springs. so that’s a 9 inch support layer basically, 3 more than what I have now; even though I’m 1 short compared to the amerisleep support 7 inches. Assuming I kept the same comfort layer and transitions then I’d need 14 inches total. And so I was thinking of buying a 50 ild 1 inch hq foam for base and then 2 x 1in 35ild foam for max possible configuration in the future. What do you think? Is 8" coils better?

B) And I am also looking into pillows. I seem to want a very short pillow, the issue is most pronounced when laying on stomach where the neck gets pulled up much higher than comfortable on normal pillows. And the material being very soft is good because too much pressure on the back of my head can give me a headache. And I kind of grapple the pilllow it around my head, is that makes sense. Is there a recommendation for this?

c) I went for a firmer top layer because I tend to like firmer mattresses and one thing I was inspired by (but didn’t know the best way to copy it) trying out what probably was the firmest Tempurpedic; I am guessing that it was the ProAdapt Firm (it was at a mattress store years ago). I recall feeling like Im laying on the ground but the ground ends up perfectly contouring to the body. Does that make sense? IF so, how could something like that be copied?

D) And in the future I was curious about Talalay latex of the top layer. Seems like thats the popular fancy way to go. Sleeping on latex is interesting. I wouldnt mind it but I am not too picky. Is that something you recommend? Would I just swap it in the future for the memory foam 2" if so?

DIY is something I would recommend to anyone who has a very poor mattress, but if they are very very picky (conciously or not), then they need to be very careful when choosing layers.

Thanks again in advance.

1 Like

I recommend exploring options such as the Tempurpedic ProCloud pillow or the @CozyPure pillow, particularly the Baa-Noodle model, which combines wool batting and latex noodles.

Recently, I devised a pillow using two zippered 100% cotton pillow liners within a Biosleepconcept Iris quilted cotton pillow cover. One liner is filled with horsehair while the other contains latex noodles. I recommend the Baa-Noodle pillow as it closely resembles my horsehair and noodle creation. I prefer it over entirely latex-filled pillows due to my discomfort to the “latex pushback” commonly found in all latex pillows.

The significance of a pillow as part of the sleep system in achieving a good night’s sleep cannot be overstated; I believe it contributes approximately 45%, with the mattress accounting for the remaining 55%, well check that, cotton sheets and a comforter/duvet plays a meaningful role, so everyone, calm down, lol. Properly matching the pillow to the mattress build, sleep position, and required loft height is essential for comfort.

Wool and horsehair initially compress similarly, but with the latex noodles positioned on the upside against your head, the wool (or horsehair, in my case) diminishes the latex noodle’s pushback. As a result, the noodles provide support while offering a sensation similar to resting on a zero-gravity cloud. Although the TP ProCloud pillow offers a comparable feel, it lacks the same level of support as the noodles and horsehair combination, and likely the noodles and wool. Despite significant compression, the noodles retain their softness, and the addition of a thin layer of springy horsehair, or wool in the Baa-Noodle, minimizes bounce, providing a weightless sleep experience.

I’m very happy that you’ve found a comfortable mattress configuration. While I was surprised that the 2" memory foam layer is integral to your setup, if it works well, there’s no need to change it and debating success. Perhaps you’ll consider incorporating the Talalay layer you’ve reserved for future use, which could be a suitable swap.

Although 8" coils are commonplace, my BB Plank Luxe mattress effectively utilizes 6" coils. Despite being two-sided, this shouldn’t pose an issue. Regarding mattress covers, 14" options are readily available, with @Arizona_Premium offering several choices.

I commend individuals for their DIY creations, as there are numerous variables to consider. Personally, I find it easier to assist others in building their own mattresses rather than attempting it myself. Kudos to you for your DIY endeavors!

Dont forget to provide a follow up every so often.

Maverick

Thanks again for all that feedback.

A few follow up questions if you don’t mind.

1. Would it be cheaper to DIY a King size clone of what you created or to buy the baa-noodle? Which is currently $130.38
  2. What way would you recommend keeping the expensive pillow safe from dirt/damage? maybe an all encompassing (such as zipping) pillow case and keep it away from problematic things like liquid while cleaning the case regularly?
  3. I curious why you were surprised by the 2" memory foam layer part? Because it wasn’t 3" or it wasn’t talalay latex?
  4. Did you have any thoughts on how one could get something close to the firm tempurpedic? The layers on their website make it seem like they just use their usual tempur material on top.
1 Like

To recreate the pillow, it will be a more expensive proposition. There are very little sources to buy horsehair. I ordered mine from a guy I found in italy. 1Kg of horsehair is about $150 and is just enough for a standard/queen pillow. you can reach out to mycustombedding.com Horsehair Pillow If you split it up with baa-noodles, you could effectively make two pillows with 1 kg of horsehair.

If you buy a baa-noodle pillow, the wool batting effectively substitutes for the horsehair in this scenario. Horsehair and Wool react differently, but at the end of the day, if the Baa-Noodle is comfortable, it really doesnt matter.

I was surprised about the memory foam as it often tends to be hot, sinking and act like a slow swallowing quicksand. Unless of course it is not viscoelastic memory foam, and it is quick response memory foam.

The closest way to get to tempurpedic,is a tempurpedic topper.

Maverick.