General Recommendations

Hello,
Never thought I’d be a member of a mattress forum let alone binge reading 36 hours worth of reading on this website but I did! Thank you to the vast amount of information on this website.
We have been sleeping on a bed that was given to us after a close family friend did not want it anymore. It was new then but is now about 6 years old and every morning I wake up with back, neck, and shoulder pain.
Here are my stats:
Male, 208 pounds, 6’4, mainly side sleeper but sometimes stomach. 80/20
Female, 140, 5’4", mainly side sleeper but sometimes stomach 60/40

We are looking at the sparrow signature hybrid but would like to hear what the experts think. We will be going to stores tomorrow to try some beds out. Do y’all have any good stores around 76227 that y’all would recommend?

Thank you again so much for any information

EDIT: went to a mattress firm to lay on some with my wife and the three kids(that was fun).

Really enjoyed the stearns and foster lux estate cassatt for me and the tempur-pedic medium hybrid. We both enjoyed the tempur-pedic medium hybrid.

Any recommendations that y’all want to throw out would be appreciated. It looks like the sterns and foster has a iffy track record for durability. It is also difficult to find the specs on the mattresses to compare them for durability, idl layer all that stuff

Hi gilly777, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here.

Sorry to hear your old mattress is not working out any longer, but glad you found us and are looking to be informed…the best consumer is a knowledgeable one! It sounds like you have done a lot of reading on this site, but I if you have not already done so, I suggest you take a look at themattress specifications you need to know, as well as themattress durability guidelines and of course themattress shopping tutorial to get a better idea of what to look for and how to choose which mattress may be suitable for you both.

Remember, a mattress is unique to the sleepers using it, and is based on their stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions), and the PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Thanks for including both your stats – you are not very high BMI, but you don’t say what type of mattress your old one is…if it is memory foam, it sounds like it could be prematurely breaking down, as this can cause uneven wear with ‘divots’ forming in the mattress which can cause muscle and joint pain and even alignment issues.

The Sparrow Signature Hybrid from trusted member of the siteNest Bedding is a very good mattress; Nest bedding is transparent about the materials and construction of their components, and have very good customer response and warranties in place for their offerings. Unfortunately due to the high turnover of businesses in the last few years, we do not have geographic listings of manufacturers and showrooms, but our member The Mattress Factory is southwest of you in Fort Worth, although they may be only doing online sales, you can reach out to them if any of their mattresses look interesting to you.

As far as the Stearns & Foster and Tempurpedic mattresses go, though many consumers do find them comfortable they, like most ‘big box’ retailers are not transparent about the density or materials used in their components which raises major red flags for me. If you are looking at mattresses that use memory foam, these companies are notorious for using excessive amounts of inexpensive foam which will break down prematurely – if durability is a concern, I would be careful of any manufacturer that does not disclose the details of their products.

Possibly someone who has some first-hand experience with looking at mattresses in NE Texas can chime in with their experience; I wish you and your family success on your mattress journey!

• Basilio

Thank you very much for your thorough and thoughtful response. We have found today after going to rooms to go that memory foam is not what we like. We also have been looking at the nest sparrow in medium for my wife and soft for me. It is my understanding that the soft is not very soft. I know this is very subjective but compared to the Pollock CFM hybrid from Stearns and Foster that we really liked today. I do not know how it will compare. Unfortunately a split king is what we are looking for and are limited. Can you recommend any split king mattresses that are hybrid with a gel foam comfort layer?
I know we can do the whole push me together thing but idk seems like there would be a gap despite the products that claim to close the gap.

I have looked at the Luma Hybrid slumber but unfortunately the only split configuration it offers is medium/firm with the hundred percent latex topper. If they sold a soft/medium that would be the one I would go with. We have also been looking the wink bed but same issue arrises; no split top mattress.

We really like that polluck which has the micro coils and gel layer which leads me to believe that I really like this combo. So what would be ideal if a manufacture had a split king configuration with a medium/ medium plush with gel and micro coils that had good durability unlike the stearns and foster has seem to have. Got any recommendations? Lol
I really enjoy researching all of this but the most frustrating time is finding the mattresses themselves; both online finding companies and in person to lay on. I also find it difficult to find the specs for the mattresses which I automatically question the integrity of the maker since it seems this industry is driven by claims on numbers.

Hi gilly777,

Its good you have ruled out one material which is not fitting your needs. It sounds like your desired configuration would suit you both if you can get the right firmness levels. Aside From the Nest Bedding Sparrow, Members of the siteBiosleep Concept and GhostBed have hybrid mattresses with split king configuration, as well as the Richmond Bedding offering of theirFlexalloy Hybrid Cool Gel Mattresswhich seems like it might tick ‘all the boxes’. I would say that whatever manufacturer you go with, make sure there is a adequate trial period so you both can fully test the mattress once ‘broken in’ to see how it feels for you. Let us know which mattress you finally choose.

Basilio

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response! I will take a look at those options tonight and get back with my wife. Recently while doing research I have found a company called sleep essentials that has multiple YouTube videos describing how lots of flame retardant chemicals used in the safety process are very harmful. His notion is that 100% latex bad that he sells has none of those and it seems as if it has a decent warranty compared to what the norm for the industry is. I did also find some threads on here and elsewhere that said that the customer service was lacking. I certainly don’t wanna get burnt on a bed that changes what I even think I want with bad customer service if I don’t like it. My wife and I have never sat on a latex bed and I’m wondering if I will like it.