Ghost Bed

Has anyone on the forum heard of this company? I found them a few days ago. Based on what I read on their website they seem like they are extremely knowledgeable about mattresses and are not new to the industry. They’re also offering the best warranty I have seen to date at 20 years.

11 inches of supernatural comfort
101 day trial

Experience Matters
We’re not a start-up company. We have decades of industry experience and have sold millions of mattresses. We know what it takes to create a mattress with supernatural comfort and support.

How Supernatural Comfort Is Built
Unlike some other mattress companies, we believe you have to put in the work to deliver perfection. We don’t cut corners and we focus on quality. Many prototypes were made and tested before we perfected the sleep experience and brought you the GhostBed.

Investing in our Future Generations
While other mattress companies may come and go, our family-owned and operated business continues to invest for our customers, employees, and future generations.

Trusted Warranty
With more than 35 years in the mattress industry, our 20-year warranty has passed the test of time. (That’s double the standard 10-year industry warranty!)

So you can see, they appear to know what they are talking about, right?

Here are the specifics.

1½" Continuous aerated latex foam is naturally responsive, plush and does not retain heat

2" Gel memory foam uses a proprietary formula with larger cells to make it more reactive to the body for cooler nights

7½" High density base layer for increased support and longevity

My only concern, is one that many of us have. They have designed a one-size fits all mattress. No multiple options like Kiss Mattress or Brookly Bedding. And no customized mattress like Helix.

Hi mdgail1,

Like many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses … there is a great deal of “marketing speak” on their website (some of which makes very little sense and is misleading) and they don’t provide all the information you would need to make an informed choice or make meaningful quality/value comparisons with other mattresses.

They are made by Nature’s Sleep which has been making mattresses in their factory in China and importing them into the US for many years (although it appears that their new Ghost Mattress may be made in the US). There are some comments about Nature’s Sleep (.com not .ca which is a completely different company) in this topic and forum searches on naturessleep.com and exact phrase site searches on nature’s sleep and on natures sleep (you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well (although you will need to be careful that the results the last two searches bring up are discussing the .com site and not the .ca site … which again is a completely different company).

Their warranty is really only 10 years (the second 10 years is prorated). As you probably know from your previous reading here a warranty is important to guard against manufacturing defects in the materials or components inside a mattress that can happen on rare occasions but I would also keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately their website doesn’t provide all the information you would need about their materials to make an informed choice or make meaningful comparisons with the many other mattresses that are available to you (including other simplified choice mattresses) but if you can find out the specific information listed here and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of the quality/durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix wrote:

Buying a mattress like this without proper specifications would be scaarrrryyyy! (couldn’t resist the pun)

As a mattress company, they make nice ladders.

Phoenix,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I emailed ghostbed customer support about there specs and they e-mailed me back within 5 minutes! On a Sunday no less.

1. They use aerated continuous pour Dunlop latex. (1 1/2")

2). They wouldn’t share the ild of the latex with me but stated the firmness is around 6 on a 10 being the firmest scale.

3). They said they use a 4 lb. density memory foam. (2")

4). The base layer is 7 1/2" thick 2 lb. Polyurethane.

Seems to be pretty decent specs. I might consider it if my Brooklyn bedding #bme soft doesn’t work out.

Hi chadb97,

Thanks for sharing the specs of the Ghostbed … I appreciate it.

They emailed the same specs to me but I hadn’t had a chance to post them on the simplified choice mattress topic yet (along with several others that haven’t been listed yet as well).

The ILD of an individual layer isn’t important to know and would be mostly meaningless anyway.

They are certainly using good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials that would compromise the durability or useful life of their mattress for those that aren’t in higher weight ranges (more than about the lower 200’s or so) where I would reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam.

Phoenix

PS: They have now been added to post #2 in the simplified choice mattress topic.

Not that i pay any attention to these various bedding review websites but one of them did a review of the Ghostbed recently and mentioned that the top two inches is talalay. This is good to know because talalay is the more expensive foam and if it’s going to be on a bed, the top is the right place for it, correct?

Hi mdgail,

The correct specs are listed earlier in this topic and the information you read isn’t accurate. The top layer is 1.5" and is continuous pour Dunlop not Talalay latex.

Using latex on top of or underneath other materials such as memory foam would be a preference choice not a better/worse choice and some people will prefer one and some people will prefer the other.

Phoenix

I emailed ghostbed customer support about there specs and they e-mailed me back within 5 minutes! On a Sunday no less.

That is good to hear. I have had some companies in the not too distant past not respond to emails. I don’t think there is any excuse not to respond to emails in this day and age. If you are serious about business, you should do it. As far as I am concerned, that is part of customer service.

That’s why I mentioned it here Phoenix. I knew you or someone else would have the correct information. And it’s the main reason why I love this website so much.

Thanks.

So I’ve been trying to educate myself on memory foam mattresses and your website has been great! I am getting a bit confused though. In your post about materials and durability you stated that 5 lb and higher will be the most durable, 4 lb will be less durable but may be preferable because of feel, and you specifically noted to avoid anything less than 4 lbs. Then in this post, I just discovered the Ghostbed, which was previously my top contender has a base layer of only 2 lb density for the majority of the mattress, and the top layer is only 2.5 lb… Which make it seem like a subpar mattress that won’t be very durable. But this comment feels like its contradicting all of that. My fiance is having some lower back problems with pinched nerves and and our current mattress is god knows how old, and we need to get a new mattress ASAP before we go broke on chiropractor visits. But now I’m agonizing over what will be good quality and last a long time without breaking the bank!

Hi LibbyG,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad the information here has been helpful to you.

You’re confusing density information about different types of foams (no worries, it’s a common mistake). While explained in more detail in the mattress shopping tutorial, you may wish to read the mattress durability guidelines here. The recommendations for poly foam and memory foam are different.

If you look at the specifications of the Ghostbed in the Simplified Choice Mattress Thread here, you’ll see that it uses a polyfoam base of 7.5" at a 2 lb density, which would be considered a good quality material. On top of that is a 2" layer of 4 lb memory foam, which would be a good density for most individuals, although I would ideally recommend 5 lb for someone in a higher BMI range. On top of this is 1.5" of synthetic Dunlop latex, which is a good quality and durable material.

When you’re finding out the information of what’s in a mattress, you not only need to learn the thickness of the materials being used, but you also need to differentiate between the different types of materials and then compare the information about each layer with the durability guideline for that material I linked to above.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit for you.

Phoenix