Given numbers to identify the foams?

We have begun the process of trying to find a new mattress, and, after finding one by Restonic we may be interested in, the salesman told us he would be happy to find out more information on the build for us. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the information we were given means. Do these numbers reference types that I can look up for more information, or are they basically useless to me?

Silver Level OUTLAST Knit Cover approx. 450 gm weight per yd

2" 10155 Liquid Gel Infused Quilt Foam with .5 oz per yd Milliken Cirrus FR Barrier (Low Melt Polyester+Rayon

In the Eurotop
1" 08325 Gel infused Memory Foam with Silver Level OUTLAST on surface
1" 15150 Gel Infused Poly

Foam Encasement
1"24180 Soy Based Poly
8" 7 turn zoned Pocketed coil densified to 800+ coil count 1.6mm diameter wire head and foot 1.8mm diameter wire center
1" 28110 poly on bottom

Hi OnlyDreaming,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad the salesperson was able to acquire some good information for you regarding the mattress, but Iā€™m a bit sad that they werenā€™t able to explain it to you (to be fair, they may not know what the numbers mean, but they should :wink: ). Iā€™ll do my best to decipher this for you.

This is the ticking (covering) for the mattress, and it incorporates a phase change materials (Outlast) at the Silver level. Outlast offers different levels of concentrations of their materials (listed from entry to best) of Bronze, Silver, Gold and Gold+. While a phase change material can assist a bit with temperature regulation, usage of such products in materials closest to your skin, as in a mattress pad (some brands do use Outlast) would tend to have a more noticeable impact, although it does tend to be temporary (see post #9 here).

This is your uppermost layer of foam. The numbers they seem to be using are listing the ILD first and the density next, so this would be 2" of 10 ILD (the lower the ILD, the softer the foam), 1.55 lb density polyfoam. Quilt foam is usually soft. There is a liquid gel polymer mixed with the foam that can also assist a bit with temperature regulation (see post #2 here) and in some cases can increase the durability of a softer polyfoam. The Milliken Cirrus is a flame resistant barrier used to meet federal flammability guidelines 16 CFR 1632 and 1633.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: milliken.com/en-us/pands/Documents/PALADIN%20nonwovens%20sep%202011.pdf

[quote]In the Eurotop (2 layers of foam)
1" 08325 Gel infused Memory Foam with Silver Level OUTLAST on surface[/quote]

1" of 8 ILD 3.25 lb memory foam. Gel infused. I donā€™t know if this is a liquid gel polymer or scrap gel pieces.

1" if 15 ILD 1.5 lb polyfoam. Gel infused. I donā€™t know if this is a liquid gel polymer or scrap gel pieces.

Iā€™m assuming this means that the innerspring unit has a polyfoam edge reinforcement system.

1" of 24 ILD 1.8 lb polyfoam. Iā€™m assuming that this is on top of the innerspring unit and isnā€™t referring to the foam edge encasement, as that would be quite thin at only 1". The ā€œsoy basedā€ just means that some of the polyol used to make polyfoam is soy derived, versus petroleum. Most polyfoams in North America are using some sort of soy derived polyol in their polyfoam.

This is a pocketed spring unit using approximately 15 gauge springs in the middle third and approximately 16 gauge springs at the head and the foot of the mattress. Iā€™m not sure of the number of springs in each size, as they arenā€™t specific.

This would be the base polyfoam under the innerspring unit, at 28 ILD and 1.1 lb density.

Overall, this mattress uses an amount of foam on top that is a little lower than Iā€™d normally recommend in density (see the durability guidelines here). The 2" of 1.5 density in the quilt is stitched down, so this can help a bit with impressions, but combined with the 2" of foam beneath (3.25 lb memory foam and 1.5 lb poly), this results in 4" of softer foam and my concern would be the durability over time of these materials, especially if someone was in a higher BMI range.

Thereā€™s more detailed information about what you need to know about the components of a mattress in the mattress shopping tutorial here.

If you have other questions, Iā€™ll do my best to answer them.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the reply! The way they listed things totally perplexed me, since there was no reference to what it stood for. It didnā€™t even occur to me that it was the numbers I needed, just listed differently.

The salesman, unfortunately, really didnā€™t know a lot about the builds of the beds, but he was at least happy to pass our questions on to someone that did. Of course, that meant he had no clue what the numbers he was given for us meant, either.

Itā€™s looking like we will have to expand our search to Nashville, since this was the only place that really seemed to have any promising mattresses, and lack of durability is a definitely a concern of ours. (I couldnā€™t believe how many of the mattress stores here in Clarksville looked like clones of each other, full of almost nothing but Sertas and Tempurpedics.)

Hi OnlyDreaming,

Youā€™re very welcome.

It can be confusing, as different companies will mix up the way they represent the ILD/density.

Iā€™m glad that he was at least helpful and able to get you these numbers.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Nashville area are listed in post #7 here. Hopefully this gives you a few better places to investigate.

Phoenix