Going Latex? - Bed In A Box - Purity 100% Natural Latex - Thoughts?

First off, great site! I found this when researching. My wife and I were looking for a new mattress as our coil mattress is near the end of its life. We thought about going memory foam since it has a high owner satisfaction. We were aware of the many different manufacturers, but we did end up liking a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze and were able to get a decent price (well for Tempurpedic), but we held off so I could do more research. Then I learned about the potential chemical issues. We started to second guess going memory foam in general. So I decided to look at all natural latex. Today my wife and I are going to go out and try some latex mattresses from stores that Phoenix recommended in the DC area. I figured I would also try and get some thoughts about the Purity 100% Natural Latex by Bed In A Box. I know that Phoenix isn’t a fan of Bed In A Box due the foam, but I haven’t seen anything about their latex mattress. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this mattress?

I was also looking at the Dreamfoam Bedding’s Ultimate Dream total latex mattress. I was a little concerned about it because I saw that several people said that it got much softer than expected after the trial period. I guess I could go firmer, but I’m not sure by how much. I’m sure Chuck could help, but it seems like a bit of a gamble.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAL0J4G/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00AAL0J4G&linkCode=as2&tag=zzzlal-20

My wife and I are bigger people. I’m a side sleeper and sometimes stomach and I tend to sleep towards the edge of the bed. My wife is a stomach sleeper, but despite that she likes the softer mattress. I would probably rate that Tempurpedic we like a 7 in softness (10 being the softest).

In general, I’m a little hesitant buying online because of experience in the different feeling memory foam mattresses we laid on. We hated the iComfort. We kind of liked the Simmons and generally liked the Tempurpedic. Even with that, each model was different feeling. Some had better edge support than others and some “rolled” like a coil mattress.

I know that there is a lot in here so any feedback or advice you may have is appreciated! Back to researching… :slight_smile:

Hi Black Mammoth,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The Bed in a Box Purity uses high quality materials (100% natural continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam) so unlike their memory foam mattresses there aren’t any weak links in the design however for most people they probably wouldn’t be in the best value range compared to other similar mattresses that are available to the members here. While they do have a good return policy (although you need to wait for 60 days before returning a mattress which is a little bit on the long side) … they don’t appear to have a layer exchange so there isn’t a way to fine tune the mattress if all you need is to change the firmness of the comfort layer. They also don’t have any options to customize the firmness of the support core and their default firmness may be a little bit on the soft side for those that are in higher weight ranges. While they are certainly a reasonable option compared to many mainstream mattresses … for most people there would be better options available.

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them (including Dreamfoam Bedding that you mentioned) make latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex with a wide range of different designs, features, options, return/exchange policies, and price ranges which would also be well worth considering. Just as one example … Spindle Mattress here uses the same type of latex that BIAB uses (100% natural continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam) except they use three 3" layers and all of the layers can be individually customized for firmness (rather than just the top layer) and they provide the option for a layer exchange if you need it as well. There are many other good options available on the list but I wanted to mention Spindle because they use exactly the same type of latex so they are a more “apples to apples” comparison with BIAB.

Latex is the most durable foam material in the industry and will soften less than other types of foam materials so I certainly wouldn’t be concerned about foam softening with any type of latex mattress. When you see reports of “foam softening” with latex … outside of the very rare material defects that can happen from time to time … it’s usually the result of someone who chooses a mattress that was “on the edge” of being too soft for their body type and sleeping positions so that even a very small amount of foam softening that will happen with any material (less with latex than other types of foam) was enough to put them “over the edge” of the comfort and support range that was suitable for them. These types of comments are almost always the result of making the wrong firmness choice in the first place rather than from the latex softening.

If you do decide to purchase this mattress then I would make sure that you purchase it from their Dreamfoam site rather than Amazon so that you have the benefit of their 10% discount (see their facebook page here) and their 45 day comfort guarantee as well.

You are also right that there can be some very big differences between mattresses that are in the same general category and there are even bigger differences between mattresses that are in different categories completely and there is more about latex vs memory foam mattresses in post #2 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person the one of the most important parts of an online mattress purchase is a more detailed conversation with the retailer/manufacturer so they can help “talk you through” the options they have that would have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them, the mattresses you have tested, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (online or local) and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help! We ended up purchasing a mattress from Urban Mattress in Vienna, VA. I got the store from your DC store list:) I’m sure we paid more than we probably needed to compared to some of the alternatives online, but we are OK with that. We weren’t entirely sure that we could find the same feel as the one we found in the store.

The owner was very nice and helpful. He’s also a fellow Hokie (even the same year as us). Anyway, I felt he was very upfront and honest about what he was selling. We ended up purchasing the Urban Organics Eco Sensation (aka Sherwood) with the Latex Foundation (instead of the plain wood foundation). He also showed us a couple PranaSleep mattresses and before he took us over there he said, “I’ll be upfront and tell you that Phoenix doesn’t like these.” He continued to say that they had some quality issues with their ver 2 & 3 mattresses, but felt that their version 4 fixed the issues. We really liked the PranaSleep (probably a bit more), but had a hard time justifying the price difference.

The downside with those two mattress (Sherwood and PranaSleep), they don’t have a layer exchange to fine tune if necessary. Hopefully that won’t be an issue, but if it is, Urban Mattress appears to have a friendly exchange program. The set comes tomorrow and we are pretty excited about not sleeping on our aging mattress anymore :slight_smile:

When we were talking to the owner, we found out that he slept on a Vi-Spring. So I decided to try one out (after we purchased). It was VERY nice until he told me it was $45k for the King. He said that some go up to $110k. I had no idea. I’m sure that they aren’t all that expensive, but still.

Hi Black Mammoth,

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

I think you made a great quality choice and there are certainly no “weak links” in your mattress. I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

I would have a hard time with the difference as well. I would also be curious about when version 4 came out and the specifics of the changes they made since the same comments were made previously (see posts #1 and #2 here) and according to the Jordan’s site here they are still using the same 2" of relatively lower quality/density polyfoam in the top layers.

I agree that they are very high quality and beautiful mattresses … but they would be of most interest for those fortunate consumers that that have a very different definition of “value” than most people (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

I’m back to post a review of the mattress. Actually, this will be a review for two mattresses since we ended up exchanging the first mattress. I hope that our experience and reviews will help others.

To recap, we ended up buying and king size Urban Mattress Eco Sensation (10" latex; it is made by Sherwood) with latex foundations. This was our first latex mattress and my wife and I are side sleepers and occasionally sleep on our stomachs. We tried the mattress for nearly a month, but we really couldn’t adjust to it. We ended up getting pressure points at our hips and our shoulders. Our arms would often fall asleep and wake us up in the middle of the night. For us, it took about 45 min or so before we would start to feel these pressure points. We didn’t notice the pressure points in the store because we didn’t spend that much time on the bed. If we were back sleepers we would absolutely LOVE the mattress. We spent hours on our back watching TV without any comfort issues. We really wanted to like the mattress, but we just couldn’t adjust. The mattress did develop minor body impressions where we slept. The body impressions were barely noticeable while laying down and not visibly noticeable. I did want to mention it as they were there. We don’t really expect any mattress not to develop body impressions, but how bad they get is another story. When the store came by to get the mattress, I removed the sheets and mattress protector to find that the cotton cover (that goes over the latex) was worn more than I expected. The seams (decorative?) look like they were tearing/splitting away from the thread. I suppose that isn’t a big deal, but it was surprising.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought my mattress online. This isn’t a slight against Urban Mattress at all. I mention this for a couple reasons. The first reason is that this mattress isn’t customizable and the ones online are customizable. If it was, I probably could have changed out the core and it probably would have worked for us. The second reason is that it would have been cheaper. The store policy is exchange (no refund) only. We were fine with that, but they are a higher end store so it meant we were going to spend more on a new mattress. Also, they didn’t care any mattresses where you could change out the cores. We went ahead and bought from the store because we liked how the mattress felt and we didn’t think we would have an issue. We were afraid if we were to buy online we would be swapping and shipping in and out cores to get it just right. We thought in the end we would have end up spending around the same amount. So if I could do it again, I would buy online so I could get it just right at a cheaper price. I know it sound contradictory, but I would also buy from Nathaniel at Urban Mattress. He was very helpful and the exchange was a breeze.

I called up Nathaniel and I told him what was going on. He said what I was describing wasn’t unusual; especially if you are switching from a coil mattress to a latex mattress. He told us to come in and he’ll have a topper and another mattress ready for us. When we got there, he was ready for us. We tried the topper, but we were afraid that we still might have pressure points because of the core. We were also concerned about the topper not lasting. Nathaniel said that we might still feel pressure points. He continued to say that the topper helped about half of his customers. So we then went to the PranaSleep Super Vinyasa Super Plush version 4 mattress. This was a mattress we looked at before, but had a hard time justifying the price over the one we bought.

As I mentioned in the previous post, Nathaniel pointed out how Phoenix doesn’t like this mattress. He said that he thought that they fixed the issue with version 4. Phoenix was skeptical that it was fixed. With that said, we realize that there might be a potential build issue with the mattress, but chose to look at it anyway. He first had us try it with the slatted foundations. This is what he usually recommends for that mattress, but considering the issues we were having, he recommended that we try it on the latex foundations (like the ones we have). He moved the mattress to the latex foundations and we gave it a try. My wife and I liked how it felt. We like it so much, we decided to do that configuration. We got the mattress and immediately felt the difference that night. We slept great on it and we haven’t had a bad night since receiving the mattress. We have noticed that we have body impressions like the other mattress; again, we expect every mattress to have body impressions. In both mattresses, they seem to bounce back. We love the the new mattress. My wife made the comment tonight, “I know it was a bit more, but it was definitely worth it.” Maybe our opinion will change in a year or two; if I remember, I’ll be back to post an update.

I hope our experience and reviews will help someone out.

Hi Black Mammoth,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your mattresses.

I’m sorry to hear that your first mattress didn’t turn out as well as you hoped but it’s good to hear that you are sleeping better on your Prana replacement.

I’m not quite clear what you mean by “divots”. All mattresses will compress when you sleep on them but if the “divots” are bouncing back and you can’t see them and your sleeping surface is level when you are off the mattress then they aren’t what are usually called body impressions which are impressions that you can see when there isn’t anyone on the mattress. Could you clarify what you mean?

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=49100]Hi Black Mammoth,
I’m not quite clear what you mean by “divots”. All mattresses will compress when you sleep on them but if the “divots” are bouncing back and you can’t see them and your sleeping surface is level when you are off the mattress then they aren’t what are usually called body impressions which are impressions that you can see when there isn’t anyone on the mattress. Could you clarify what you mean?
Phoenix[/quote]

Sorry about that. I wasn’t thinking clearly when I originally posted this. By divots, I meant body impressions. Right now I can’t see them when no one is on the mattress. However, when laying down, I could tell where they would be (if that makes sense). I’ll try an edit my post from divots to body impressions.

Hi Black Mammoth,

If your impressions/divots are springing back and aren’t visible when you aren’t on the mattress then they wouldn’t be body impressions which are visible and can be measured with a straight edge or string across the mattress surface when there is nobody on the mattress.

The top layers in your mattress are fairly thick and soft so it sounds more like they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and compressing when you are on the mattress and then coming back when you aren’t.

They now have a new version (5th generation) which they recently introduced which replaced the 1.5 lb polyfoam in the top layers with 2.5 lb polyfoam and with this change there wouldn’t be an obvious “weak link” in the mattress (see post #19 here). I’m not sure exactly when they made the change or which one you may have.

Phoenix