Good mattress vs. mattress topper

Hello! (first topic here)

I’m still debating what kind of mattress I want but for the sake of this topic we’ll assume I’ll have some latex.

What is the difference between:

• A good mattress with latex (say 2 to 3 inches of Talalay latex on top of some kind of foam)
  • A cheaper mattress plus a 2-3 inch latex mattress topper

Thanks!

Hi Oceanik,

[quote]What is the difference between:

• A good mattress with latex (say 2 to 3 inches of Talalay latex on top of some kind of foam)
  • A cheaper mattress plus a 2-3 inch latex mattress topper[/quote]

Your question is much too general to answer with any specific information because it would on the specifics of all the materials and components inside the mattresses you are comparing. Presumably the “good” mattress would use better quality and more durable materials but I would need to know the specifics of all the layers and components in each mattress/topper combination you were considering to make any meaningful comments about how they may compare.

Every layer and component in a “sleeping system” (which would include the mattress and the topper) will have an effect on the feel and performance of every other layer and component in the sleeping system and on the mattress as a whole. The upper 3" - 6" of a sleeping system will generally be the “weakest link” in a sleeping system in terms of durability as well.

A separate topper can “act” a little more independently and “feel” a little softer outside a cover than it will by having the same layer inside the cover (see posts #3 and #4 here and the first page of posts in this topic.

You can also see my comments about choosing a mattress first with the intention of adding a topper later in post #2 here.

In most cases I would avoid this approach because of the uncertainty involved with two purchase choices instead of only one and choosing a topper that would be suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) for a specific person on a specific mattress can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place. I would generally focus on choosing a mattress that is likely to be a suitable match without a topper (unless you can test the combination in person or you are purchasing both online as a “set” that is designed to work together and they both have a good return/exchange policy) and then use the option to add a topper as a “backup” strategy in case your initial choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for rather than a “primary” strategy.

It can also be more costly than just buying a mattress which includes the same materials as the topper as a layer inside the mattress itself and you would be avoiding the risk of having additional materials in your base mattress that you may not need or that may be lower quality foam (that can soften or break down more quickly) or that may be softer than what would be ideal for a transition layer under a softer topper. I would also make sure that you can find out all the specifics of the materials inside the base mattress so you can make sure it meets the quality/durability guidelines here and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of the materials or components in your sleeping system that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Having said that … if you do choose a suitable mattress/topper combination which turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress/topper combination) then it would have the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is likely because a sleeping system will tend to soften or break down from the top layers down) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of a mattress underneath it as well.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress (or sleeping system) purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress or sleeping system will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of all the materials and components inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix!

I’ve already spent hours here reading and I’ll keep educating myself.
I’ll also be looking for a good mattress and only consider a topper if I can’t find what I want (which is unlikely).