Grad Student on Very Limited Budget

Hi. I’m a grad student looking for a twin-size mattress in the $300 range, or a combination of frame+foundation+mattress in the $450 range. I’ll be living in a sublet for the next two years and hope to upgrade to a Queen-size bed afterwards, so I just want a bed that’ll last two years without being bad for me. I’d prefer Latex, but understand if it’s out of my price range. All the underground membership brands are a bit out of my price range, so I’m looking for other brands that could work.

Thanks!

In your price range the only thing that comes to mind for forum members is the tuft and needle mattresses. They are supposed to be pretty decent for the money and would probably be fine for a couple of years …

Hi manatree,

As jermy4 mentioned you are in a very low budget range but the good news is that you are looking for a twin which are less costly than the larger sizes.

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

As you mentioned … your budget isn’t large enough to include a latex or latex hybrid mattress although you are close to the price range for a twin size Ultimate Dreams latex/polyfoam hybrid.

If you are looking in an online direction then Dreamfoam on Amazon has a fairly wide range of different types of mattresses in your budget range (and the 12 in 1 customizable mattress here can be customized to different firmness levels) and as jermy4 also mentioned Tuft & Needle also sells a firm mattress in either a 5" or 10" version that is in your budget range as well.

If you are looking locally then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Are you very lightweight? Perhaps you could get away with only 3" or 4" of latex, in the firmer densities? Then you could buy an inexpensive futon case online or even use a couple of fitted sheets to cover it. I think Sleeplike like a bear has a inexpensive case with a zipper on only one side: https://sleeplikeabear.com/product/PCF-PCBCC-11 If you only need it to last two years, you porbably wouldn’t care about how fast the latex would age in lieu of a thicker cover.