Guest Bedroom Choice

Looking for some help buying a mattress for a guest bedroom on which I will only sleep occasionally when I need to flee from a snoring husband. Since it needs to work for a variety of adults, I need some guidance as what to buy and where to purchase it. Are there any local manufacturers recommended in St Paul, MN area. Thanks!

Hi martigd,

The mattress shopping tutorial here would be the first place I would start and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I don’t know what your budget range is but I would consider some kind of “basic” mattress using the materials or components you prefer in a “medium” firmness range which would be suitable for a wider range of people than a firmer or softer choice and because a guest bed doesn’t get used as much the durability of the materials won’t be as big an issue as it would if it was being used every day. You could also choose a mattress that was a little firmer and then purchase a topper so you could offer your guests a softer and a firmer choice (with and without the topper) depending on your guest’s preferences.

If you are comfortable with an online purchase then the tutorial post includes several links to some of the better online options I’m aware of.

If you are more comfortable testing a mattress in person then post #2 here includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links to MN. We will go check them out. I never knew there was so much variety in mattresses. It’s completely overwhelming.

Hi martigd,

You certainly aren’t alone in thinking that buying a new mattress can be one of the most difficult, challenging, and sometimes overwhelming of all the major purchases that people make.

The good news though is that you will only be using the mattress once in a while so you can make more of an “average” choice instead of having to go through all the testing and research that would be more important if you were sleeping on it every day. Most good retailers and manufacturers will be able to help you choose a mattress that would be in a more medium range both in terms of firmness and in terms of the quality of the materials and that would be suitable for a guest bedroom so this would be a little less stressful than a higher budget purchase that needed to be “perfect” for you.

In any case I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Mattress stores can help you in this as they have a lot of experience. I recommend getting something organic and not too firm. You could also go for something not too expensive and get a comfortable layer to put on top. Anyways since you are not sleeping there regularly I would advice not to worry too much about it, as long as it is healthy (composed of organic materials like cotton) it should be fine for a few nights.