Guidance Requested: Conflicting Information

Hello, I have been doing some research on mattresses to try and find a good fit for me, but a lot of what I read seems to be contradictory to what I think I want vs what I need (per industry recommendations), so I thought I would ask the community here for additional guidance.

My stats:
35 F, 5’2" 115 lbs (BMI = 21)
No health issues or injuries (past or present)
Sleep iceberg cold (74-76F + 3 layers of bedding for ideal warmth)
Single side/back sleeper (but move a lot)

I currently have an Ikea HAUGSVÄR Hybrid mattress in firm, supported by the LURÖY bed slats that I purchased 2.5 years ago. About 1.5 years ago I started getting sore sleeping on the mattress and began sleeping on my Ikea KIVIK chaise which I still do. I would say I sleep on the bed 25% of the time and the chaise 75% of the time due to comfort. As I get older, I realize how important good sleep is and that I really should just invest in a good bed at this point since sleeping on the “couch” when I live alone is rather silly. About a year ago I thought the same thing, but got discouraged when I started the mattress search and gave up.

Here is where the trouble lies. For my size and sleeping position, most guides recommend a soft to medium firm mattress, but I think I find firm mattresses most comfortable. I dislike the feeling of sleeping on blankets/comforters, and I imagine this is what pillow toppers feel like, so I don’t want to use those. However, my current mattress causes lower back pain initially, and upper back/shoulder pain if I manage to sleep the night in it. From what I have read, this is due to the mattress being too firm.

The second recommendation I see is for cold sleepers to use memory foam, but I dislike the feeling of being cradled or sinking into a bed, or like I can’t move around easily. I think I like the KIVIK chaise so much because it has a “bouncy” feel to it. The counter to this is an innerspring mattress, but I read that they sleep cold and I cannot fall asleep nor stay asleep when I am cold. I also worry about feeling the springs underneath and not being very comfortable.

All this leads me to think a latex bed might be the best fit, and I have slept in one before, but it was many years ago. I think I found it fine, but it was ridiculously heavy to the point I could not move it to rotate the mattress, rearrange the room, or vacuum under the bed. The weight also made it extremely difficult when changing bed sheets and washing the mattress protector as I like to tuck those underneath to keep them firmly in place.

So now I am at a loss again and am looking for recommendations on mattress styles so that I can then research brands that fit the bill. I have saved the quality spec guidelines to use in my future searches, but I don’t know if I should be looking for all foam, hybrid, all latex, only innerspring, etc. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

P.S. Ideal budget is <$2K for a queen, but willing to go over for the perfect mattress if it means I will finally get a good night’s rest most nights for the next several years (I am aware few mattresses actually last 10+ years).

Hi SB.Aurora and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Hello, I have been doing some research on mattresses to try and find a good fit for me, but a lot of what I read seems to be contradictory to what I think I want vs what I need (per industry recommendations), so I thought I would ask the community here for additional guidance

First, remember, the mattress you choose will be unique to you based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you have not already, you might want to read the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a good retail outlet, and also you can compare the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how different mattress components hold up over time.

As far as ‘recommendations’…no one can tell you what type of mattress or what firmness will be right for you. There is no ‘standard model’ for people when it comes to mattresses; one that’s too soft for me could be too firm for another person. While there are certain guidelines for various body types, sleeping types, and medical conditions, that’s all they are : a loose guide.

My stats: 35 F, 5’2" 115 lbs (BMI = 21) No health issues or injuries (past or present) Sleep iceberg cold (74-76F + 3 layers of bedding for ideal warmth) Single side/back sleeper (but move a lot)
I currently have an Ikea HAUGSVÄR Hybrid mattress in firm, supported by the LURÖY bed slats that I purchased 2.5 years ago. About 1.5 years ago I started getting sore sleeping on the mattress and began sleeping on my Ikea KIVIK chaise which I still do. I would say I sleep on the bed 25% of the time and the chaise 75% of the time due to comfort. As I get older, I realize how important good sleep is and that I really should just invest in a good bed at this point since sleeping on the “couch” when I live alone is rather silly.

Your current IKEA Haugsvar is an 11" hybrid medium firm mattress, with High Resilience foam of unknown density and thickness, wrapped coils of unknown count and density, and a ‘soft filling’ layer. Like many bed-in-a-box and major retail brands, IKEA has no transparency on the specifications or construction of their mattresses which makes it difficult to assess where the ‘weak link’ in that’s causing the pain. The comfort layer could be memory foam, gel foam or polyfoam, and with no density given for the support foam all we can determine is: it certainly does not work for you.

With your BMI, you have a wide range of mattress types which could be comfortable for you…you like a firmer mattress, you sleep cool. The best thing you can do, if possible, would be to try out some different types and firmnesses if mattress at local showrooms, to see if you can compile a ‘short list’ of mattress types and materials you find comfortable; then you can focus on those. Your budget is decent for a good mattress, but without any specific type you have in mind, I can give some general pointers, but you need to consider things a bit more.

Here is where the trouble lies. For my size and sleeping position, most guides recommend a soft to medium firm mattress, but I think I find firm mattresses most comfortable
The second recommendation I see is for cold sleepers to use memory foam, but I dislike the feeling of being cradled or sinking into a bed, or like I can’t move around easily. I think I like the KIVIK chaise so much because it has a “bouncy” feel to it. The counter to this is an innerspring mattress, but I read that they sleep cold and I cannot fall asleep nor stay asleep when I am cold. I also worry about feeling the springs underneath and not being very comfortable.
All this leads me to think a latex bed might be the best fit, and I have slept in one before, but it was many years ago. I think I found it fine, but it was ridiculously heavy to the point I could not move it to rotate the mattress, rearrange the room, or vacuum under the bed. The weight also made it extremely difficult when changing bed sheets and washing the mattress protector

Memory foam sleeps ‘hot’ for many people, since the foam conforms to the body, keeping body heat and moisture close to the surface of the skin. Unfortunately, there is a lot of inexpensive less dense foam used in some major mattress brands, which can break down prematurely leaving ‘ruts’ or ‘divots’ in the foam that can cause aches pains and even alignment problems. We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

Latex, while more expensive, is a versatile and breathable material which is one of the most durable mattress materials you can have. Talalay and Dunlop latex have very different feels - Talalay is considered ‘bouncier’…the usual comparison is between angel food cake and pound cake. A latex mattress can be heavier, though you can have individual layers in a fitted zippered cover which can make it a bit easier to move. 3 three inch layers, of firm, medium firm, firm would allow you to exchange the firm and med firm support layers around to ‘fine tune’ the mattress. Alternatively, you might find a firmer less thick mattress works better for you.

So now I am at a loss again and am looking for recommendations on mattress styles so that I can then research brands that fit the bill. I have saved the quality spec guidelines to use in my future searches, but I don’t know if I should be looking for all foam, hybrid, all latex, only innerspring, etc. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
P.S. Ideal budget is <$2K for a queen

When you add innersprings, pocket coils, or microcoils, again a different feel that some consumers like and others don’t; latex hybrids, foam hybrids, latex AND foam hybrids…there’s no ‘one type fits all’ of any size wait or sleep profile. It does sound like you cannot fail to find something better than the Haugsvar, in any case! You certainly deserve better than sleeping in a chair, to be honest…and with a bit more consideration, you can certainly find a match for your sleep profile as well as budget! If you are considering online ordering once you have an idea of what sort of mattress you want. The Trusted Members of the site carry a variety of mattresses and have been proved their commitment to quality, transparency in materials and components, excellent exchange and return policies and great customer service.
If you do come across any specific mattresses you are interested in, please let us know and we can possibly comment on how they may work for you.

~ Basilio

Thank you for the very thoughtful reply! It seems like my first step should be to visit local mattress stores to test out mattresses, which shouldn’t be a problem since I live in a major city. I also have a Costco membership, so I am tempted to take advantage of their return policy and just order a mattress and if it doesn’t work out, return it and order another. I learned from this site to avoid the S-brands, which leaves me with Casper, Ghostbed, Leesa, and Novaform if I go the Costco route.

Casper - I cannot find the specifications of each foam layer on their main site, so I will be skipping them for now as from what I gather, this means they use lesser quality materials.

Ghostbed - Same as above, cannot find for the hybrid model but did find a design page for their all-foam mattress through Google search. Unsure if that is what their current models use though, so will skip for now as well.

Leesa - Listed specs seem to meet the minimum quality standards, so this is a possibility.

Novaform - Same as first two, cannot find specifications for the foam layers.

So given this, it seems like I may have the best luck trying the Leesa first. Any thoughts on this one? From other reviews I read on this site and elsewhere, it is making me a little weary that it will be great the first 6 months but then go downhill after that. Unsure if I should just go for it anyway though.

Based on Costco reviews….Novaform seems pretty good. They have Sleep Science too which is latex and memory foam. Costco has a sample booth with samples of 6 mattresses. Novaform and Ghostbed seemed most popular.

John

Hi SB.Aurora,

Glad you found my reply helpful. I would advise caution with Costco, as they do allow returns but I would think there are procedures in place to prevent ‘serial returners’…the only bed that you mentioned which has clearly given specifications is Trusted Member of the site GhostBed whose specs for their hybrid mattresses can be found under ‘specifications’ tab on their Member Profile page…but as you now know, personal testing is best, and with Costco you will be able to see mattresses from a number of different manufacturers, so you can see how they feel and, you can get a better idea of your preferences and what you want to avoid. Keep the basics in mind, and also remember that it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to ‘break in’ a new mattress and have your body acclimate to it. Here’s’ wishing you success!

~ Basilio