"Half Queen" size mattress

My wife and I have very different needs from a mattress. I am fairly fat, and sleep on my stomach. She is average to slim, and sleeps on her back. We looked at the “sleep number” mattresses a while back, but did not find them to be suitable.

However, they got me wondering, does anybody make mattresses that are half the width of a queen size? Then we could independently choose our perfect mattress, and put them together on our queen size bed, in much the way you can put two twins together to make a king.

Is this a feasible idea? Any other advice or pointers specifically for the “two body problem”?

Hi happyharris,

You have a number of options when you are part of a couple that have very different needs and preferences. Some mattresses have a design that may be very suitable for both of you and there are also manufacturers that make a “split” layer mattress where each side of the mattress is customized to the needs and preferences of each person all inside a single cover (including queen sizes). There is more about this in the first part of post #2 here.

There are also factory direct manufacturers and some retailers (that have a close relationship to their manufacturer) either online or locally that can build a mattress to any custom size that you wish.

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and includes a link to the members of this site that sell online and several of these offer split layering in queen sizes (most commonly with latex mattresses) or can build custom sizes. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area and some of these may have the same option available if your testing indicates that it’s necessary for you.

Phoenix

The largest bed out there is the King size. This type of bed is very large and is the choice of many individuals who do not want a bed they are going to fall out of, or who are bigger than most people and want a bed that will hold them comfortably. When they have a bed this size, they need to get some king queen size beds online