Has anyone bought NSC Medical Natural Elements Latex Mattress?

Wanted to see if anyone has purchased this and their thoughts? Or someone with knowledge of matresses and can offer their opinion on the specs.

Thanks!

Natural Elements™ By NSC Medical is the first 100% all-natural latex therapeutic mattress. NSC Medical has created an unparalleled therapeutic latex mattress, the first of its kind in the industry!

Offering 4 global certifications for organic content & material with protein extracted latex making our latex hypo-allergenic and 100% all natural.

The top layer of our patented pressure balance latex system uses individual beams that are interconnected and articulate, which assist with pressure point relief. The bottom layer consists of a 5-zoned natural firm latex for even weight distribution. Finally, the mattress is covered with an organic cotton cover with temperature regulating Joma wool, providing all the key elements for a good night’s rest.

This 11" therapeutic mattress assists with body support, cloud like comfort, spinal realignment and natural content with NO synthetics providing a true hypo-allergenic and natural sleep environment.

Mattress Composition:

5 cm (1 in.) organic cotton quilted cover

2 cm (4 in.) pressure balance latex system

2 cm (6 in.) 5-zone latex firm base

Features:

Latex is hypoallergenic and all-natural

French channel quilted organic cotton quilted cover with Joma wool

Joma wool is a temperature-regulating layer imbedded into the cover

Closed-stitched piping around the bottom parameter of the mattress

Mattress comfort: firm

Cover is non-removable

Individual beams that are interconnected assisting with pressure-point relief

5-zoned latex base provides weight bearing attributes for support and longevity

Handmade mattress (+/- manufacturing variance of 2.5 cm (1 in.) on the crown height of the mattress)

Technical Inspection Association (TUV) certified and tested for validation of quality on German standards

Offering 4 global certifications for natural content and material with protein-extracted latex:

(1) ABC Laboratories for antimicrobial

(2) GOLS certified for 100% organic content

(3) ECO institute certified for 100% natural latex

(4) STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX ® certified for natural content

Organic cotton cover manufactured in a GOTS certified facility in Canada

Please allow 14 to 21 days for NSC Medical mattresses to adapt to your body

ISO-9001:2015 accredited manufacturing process

ISO14001:2015 accredited manufacturing process

Manufacturer in Class I medical device certified

Box spring not included

Developed and manufactured in Canada

Hi desm0nd, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Any mattress though decide on for yourself will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You can compare the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how certain materials will last over time…latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress; if you like the feel and can find a good match for your support and comfort needs, a latex mattress can last many years.

I’m not familiar with the NSC Natural Elements latex mattress, bout I took a look; an 11" mattress with organic cotton & Joma wool cover, with a 4" latex comfort layer and a 6" firm, zoned latex support. As you noted, the mattress is GOLS, ECO institute and OEKO-TEX Certified, and made in Canada. There are no ‘red flags’, this is a solid durable mattress, but there’s no way to assess is suitability for your sleep profile without your knowing your Stats.

Not sure where you are located, but many of the Trusted Members of the site offer natural and organic latex mattresses in the U.S. as well as Canada, which you may be interested in. If you want to provide your Stats and what you are looking for in a mattress we can possibly comment further.

~ Basilio

Hi desm0nd.

Throwing a few more cents here.

NSC Medical Corporation which manufactures this mattress was launched in Canada in 2016 by key principal Harinder Kaurand. Many of their “health-related” products have been offered through home healthcare and medical distributors. The NSC mattresses is sold through Amazon, Costco, Wayfair, etc. and they are marketing it as “therapeutic and medical” which IMO is quite misleading. While there are no red flags in terms of the materials used in this mattress there is a lot of spined marketing verbiage which does not clarify nor does it present the facts behind why this mattress is “therapeutic” or why it would be better than other mattresses when it comes to support, comfort or overall better sleep than other mattresses that use similar materials. Generally, nobody can guarantee that a mattress is “medical or therapeutic” or that it is suitable for any particular sleeper. Each person is different and has different needs, preferences, stats, and sleeping positions. The terms “therapeutic” or “medical” triggers consumers’ assumption that this mattress is the solution to many medical problems. If the mattress industry proved anything in the last few decades is that - there is NO “one size fits all” mattress. Additionally, the cover is non-removable so no adjusting can be done if the mattress is not a good match for you.

The “exclusive technology” of using latex “cubes” is similar to the US Reverie mattress that uses interchangeable “dream cells” - latex cylinders. In the case of Reverie, the concept is interesting and has some popularity due to its high adjustability potential. But I am a bit skeptical of the NSC Medical mattes with its “Interconnected pressure beams that articulate to assist with pressure relief and support”. The grooves between the cubes will cause the compressed latex columns to rub against each other when people are changing positions during sleep. Latex is quite “sticky” and the, bending, friction, and “grabbing” will cause some deterioration over time. Costco Canada has a few one-star reviews of consumers that bought the product in 2016-2017 but returned after some time and reported durability issues, sagging and divots that developed.
Generally, Latex material is very durable, point elastic, and can withstand stretching without breaking due to its molecular structure so a full latex slab (zoned or not) would be very durable. The carved cubes have much exposed surface area so the continuous rubbing will certainly cause some damage to the rubber cubes.

Especially when something sounds too good to be true I generally tend to skim through the marketing buzzwords and focus on real data and facts.

Phoenix

1 Like

Hello All,

This is Shawn from NSC Medical Corp.
specification are correct as we go through every National Retailers legal department with certificates and validation of claims made on their site.

Natural Elements is true to the specifications shown in product descriptions as are all of our products.

NSC Medical is a class 1 Medical Device in Canada and does register its claims with scientific evidence when providing listing products. Though primarily used in our Medical division we use the process of manufacturing and efficacy as our Medical Line for our consumer products when making claims.

Now let me ask a question to Mattress Underground “Who is validating the claims being made by direct to consumer companies on-line since there is no legal entity to police this”.

We as Canadian and USA companies are held to accountability of manufacturing in a 1st world country and respect our rights and freedoms doing so in our manufacturing process and claims being made to our fellow Canadians and Americans.

Thank You

Hi Shawn, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Thank you for confirming the specifications are correct; and I’m glad to hear you are providing some insight into NSC.

NSC Medical is a class 1 Medical Device in Canada and does register its claims with scientific evidence when providing listing products. Though primarily used in our Medical division we use the process of manufacturing and efficacy as our Medical Line for our consumer products when making claims.

Now let me ask a question to Mattress Underground “Who is validating the claims being made by direct to consumer companies on-line since there is no legal entity to police this”.

As you say there is no legal entity to police when a company is making a particular claim which is why it would be helpful to list in this thread, or direct forum readers to the info on your site, for the scientific research on NSC Therapeutic mattresses…especially how these mattresses may be customized for consumers with different needs. With the glut of advertising and marketing, it can be very difficult for consumers to ‘cut through the chaff’ to find good honest information about mattresses and bedding related products, and we strive to help to provide solid information when we are able…and which is why it would be extremely convenient to see NSCs scientific research…the more information consumers have, the more confidence they have in purchasing products after all!

As @Phoenix said "Generally, nobody can guarantee that a mattress is “medical or therapeutic” or that it is suitable for any particular sleeper. Each person is different and has different needs, preferences, stats, and sleeping positions. The terms “therapeutic” or “medical” triggers consumers’ assumption that this mattress is the solution to many medical problems. If the mattress industry proved anything in the last few decades is that - there is NO “one size fits all” mattress. Additionally, the cover is non-removable so no adjusting can be done if the mattress is not a good match for you.

We appreciate the time you’ve taken to respond here, and look forward to additional info on the NSC Therapeutic beds going forward.

~ Basilio

1 Like

I was reading the thread on this mattress. I understand it, but don’t. First of all, why is this considered a class 1 medical device in Canada? In the respect that how is it really different than any other mattress, say The SleepOvations Mattress or Dormeo Mattress, just to name a couple that pop right into my head. I assume when they say articulating, they mean the individual sections/segments of the mattress move, correct? Couldn’t anyone say that about an ordinary convoluted layered mattress?
Not sure of the significance of NSC going through each retailers legal department. What are they legally trying to verify that would classify it as some medical appliance. What are they trying to say about DTC companies? Are they referring to claims such as tempurpedic being 10 degrees cooler than their other tempurpedic model or claims such as using the wording “100% natural talalay latex.” Or just any claim anyone is making about their mattress. For example, OMF’s Orthopedic Mattress. OMF doesnt seem to be saying it is a medical device, more like a “style” of mattress. When company’s make claims about their mattress being a “latex” mattress, they are not necessarily saying it is all latex (although they may be using that language in a persuasive way) but it merely has latex in it. All one has to do is look at the mattress build. Oh, there is a layer of 1.8lb 36ILD memory foam. Ok, now I know it is not a 100% latex mattress. The government didnt need to classify it as a medical device for me to figure that out.

Are they trying to throw “shade” at these companies or TMU?
I am not sure any mattress company can claim universally that their mattress resolves osteoporosis, scoliosis, any other bone, muscular or “medical” body condition.

Certainly, a mattress when properly matched to the user can feel; great, wonderful, exhilarating, you name the adjective, and I can provide another synonym.

I did not do hours of research on their web site, but when I look at it, there is not anything particularly special, from what I can see, about what they are doing or producing. While I can commend their use of plant based products, natural products, traceable facilities, low VOC’s and things of that nature, I don’t necessarily see where it makes them a “medical device”. All of those qualities are commendable, but I am not seeing the universal medical benefit, like, say, a pair of eyeglasses, hearing aid or even a chiropractor’s deep tissue massage machine.

What would make or compel a government to classify something like this (that in my opinion, can merely be, or possibly be, comfortable to a user) as a medical device?

I get reps from my day job stating that this progressive lens is the best, or this eye drop will perform miracles, etc., you know, when they come out with a new product or piece of diagnostic equipment, then when you confront them with “what about this or does it resolve that,” then it becomes cricket time. They just expect someone to listen to their seminar and not ask the questions or challenge them. So, they hide when they see me. Oh well, that’s life. If i can really help a patient, just tell me, I would be happy to use the product. But if it is something that is just a theory, or likely to… or it only provides additional information that I might have be able to ascertain with more traditional methods, what are you trying to sell me? And these are actual medical devices, that I have to question and are government regulated.

Usually, when something is regulated, or the government here in the USA, food and drug administration, or whichever agency is involved, wants to classify something as a medical device, there has to be evidence that the drug or device has a definitive medical benefit. It can just be something that makes a few people feel better. I mean, take ear muffs, they keep my ears warm, I feel more comfortable on a cold day with them on. I could argue there is a medical benefit there. Better blood circulation perhaps. It’s not going to get medical device classification.

What am I missing? Is there some JAMA article I need to read up more about this? Or perhaps JCMA (if there is such a thing in Canada).
Thanks,
Norm

So, on my drive home tonight, I started to wonder about my question about what am I missing about this thread. Something was not sitting right with me.

Whenever a company seeks medical clearance for a drug or device there has to be an end game for that particular item. Thinking about it, one of the first things that came to my mind since I posed the question, is economic gain. I mean, why does any company do anything. I am sure it could be for the good of mankind, but there are plenty of mattresses out there that could satisfy that proverb.
The proverb, “for the love of money” suddenly presented itself.
If a mattress company could convince a government agency to classify their mattress or mattress line as a medical device, it would all but guarantee them a targeted revenue stream.

Hospitals, assisted living and other facilities would be likely users of such a marketed and categorized product. More importantly, if something can get classified as a medical device, it would then set the stage to be used as a “prescribed” device that would become an endless revenue stream if it were covered or forced to be covered by insurance companies.

Imagine going to your doctor, you are not sleeping well, or sleeping in some ordinary back, shoulder, or hip pain. It may not matter that the pain was caused by some minor short term injury or just a bad nights sleep. Your doctor wants to offer a solution to have relief now, you need to get back to work. It costs more money if you are out of work, than the cost of a mattress, if you can convince someone that a comfortable mattress can relieve the pressure of the patients area of pain.

Exactly how would that work, though? What if the doctor recommends or prescribes, based on the manufacturers advice and guidance, mattress “R” and the injured person with the bad hip uses it for a month and the hip gets worse! Hmmm, well, I guess the doctor must seek the advice of the medical device mattress company for a different “medical mattress,” mattress “S,” of course this mattress would not be free, it is a medical device, it must be discarded and a new one purchased. Pretty nice gig if you ask me.

That begs the question, if it was classified as a medical device in the first place, wouldn’t it have been approved and tested so that it could resolve or mitigate a specific problem, presumably the one for which the doctor originally prescibed? What if it doesn’t? Do we just say, oops the ILD of that mattress wasn’t the exactly the correct one? So, let’s try another? Then again, why was that mattress selected in the first place? Were the trials, testing and documentation to get it classified in the first place flawed? It is hard enough trying to find a mattress for one person here on TMU, let alone find one for a group of people with a common ailment.

I don’t know, may be I am over thinking this. Maybe I am still missing something.
I would like to know what other people’s take on this. I could continue with other anecdotal scenarios and analogies, but I think anyone reading this understands my concern and pessimism.

What do you think, love to hear your thoughts!
Norm

1 Like

So a mattress that’s classified as a medical device might work like any other medical item. A mattress company could charge $20,000 for the prescribed mattress, and if approved, insurance would have to pay a portion of that, which could be a fairly large amount. We don’t have to guess why insurance premiums are high, and in this inflated market, I’m surprised they can survive. When the Canada wildfire smoke drifted south and it looked like we lived on Mars, I had a reaction that caused heart attack symptoms and my husband took me to the ER. They did every imaginable test. The doctor asked if I wanted something similar to Tylenol for back pain, so he put that in the IV. All tests were good, so I went home. Fortunately my deductible was met because the inflated bill for that one day was over $22,000. That generic Tylenol was over $900! Does it really cost that much to make, or is it a jacked up price because it was given as a prescription? I have a problem with a mattress being prescribed, because what happens, if like Norm said, it doesn’t cure the person’s pain?

1 Like

Yes! But the bigger question is… what does the mattress do differently than other mattresses out there that it gets to be classified as a medical device? Even all natural mattresses that have no FR barrier that requires a doctors note, but it is still not classified as a medical device.

1 Like

Thanks @Maverick and @Cheri for these salient questions! I know from personal experience that the medical insurance companies have strict policies when it comes to covering DME (durable medical equipment) claims, for things like home oxygen units, CPAP machines, down to epi-pens and blood sugar testers. You have both identified some important questions regarding this in regards to therapeutic beds - thanks for providing context!

~ Basilio

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Has anyone bought NSC Medical Natural Elements Latex Mattress?:

Shawn - NSC Medical Corp.

All our specifications are correct as we go through their legal department of every National Retailer where our products are available. All our claims are with certificates and validation of claims made on their site.

Natural Elements is true to the specifications shown in product descriptions as are all of our products.

NSC Medical is a class 1 Medical Device in Canada and does register its claims with scientific evidence when listing products. Though primarily used in our Medical division we use the process of manufacturing and efficacy as our Medical Line for our consumer products when making claims.

Difference between consumer and therapeutic mattresses.

Consumer: The goal of the consumer mattress is to have a person walk into a store and try a product to meet their personal comfort level.

Therapeutic: The goal is to provide skin, bone and tissue relief which in turn assist with spinal alignment.
Our products are designed to assist with spinal alignment leading to better sleep.

Our process in the Medical Industry the Chiropractor, Occupational Therapist or Doctor prescribe a therapeutic sleep surface which then send for a clinical trial to validate that the sleep surface is assisting with issues prescribed and better sleep for the patient and not causing any further issues.

This is why are belief is that a mattress cannot be assessed in 30 minutes at a retail location.

We offer 30-90 day complete money back guarantees, so that the consumer will use the product and like a chiropractor or occupational therapist would reach alignment over time since the human body needs time to adjust.

We as Canadian and USA companies are held to accountability of manufacturing in a 1st world country and respect our rights and freedoms doing so in our manufacturing process and claims being made to our fellow Canadians and Americans.

Thank You

How does one assess which mattress to choose? The mattress speaks about zoning and and the different layers. I see the natural elements says firm, but it would be hard for me to choose if I dont have a sense of how firm. Is that dunlop a 44ILD or 38, both are firm, one is very firm. I notice the cover is not removable, does that mean the layers can not be switched out? Or is that a fiberglass sock being used inside or are they considering the wool being used considered as the fire retardant. Thanks for the update.
Norm

Dear Valued Customer,

All of our mattresses retailers provide a 30-90 day money back guarantee. So you have nothing to lose but only to gain a better nights rest.

NSC Medical CSR Team

Thank you for the response, although, it does not quite address the last question. Most folks, including myself, would prefer to know what they are buying, even before considering what the warranty is. If a product can not be assessed, it makes it impossible to make any worthwhile comparison. Perhaps the mattress is comfortable, will that be for the first 10 minutes in the showroom, first month, or first year. Perhaps it isn’t comfortable and having assessed the sleepers BMI, and PPP’s mattress history and other relevant factors, a specific mattress may be been eliminated before the process started, simply from knowing the specifications.

That type of guessing game do not instill a lot of confidence, that I or anyone else could recommend a product with that many unknowns. That type of projection is something that could lead to an abundance of consumer time, effort, frustration and unnecessary hardship for the individual or couple who might have endured a period of time when they could have been focusing on something offered some identifiable information to make an informed decision. I could ramble a whole host of additional reasons, but those mentioned are enough to give pause and question consideration.

Norm

1 Like