Hästens Owners: How happy are you with the firmness choosen for your bed?

Dear Forum Members

I came across this forum while searching the internet for information on how plush/firm a mattress should be. I am pretty finished with the general evualation process (taking in consideration most of the tips in the tutorial B). Now its only a decision between the model Proferia medium or firm.

Currently I have a pretty hard mattress, which does not allow me to let my shoulders sink deep enough when i am lying on my side (causing tensions in my upper body). Even the firm Proferia let my shoulders sink into the mattress much more then my current bed. However a friend of mine noted that my spine is not perfectly even on the firm version, but it is perfect on the medium mattress in the sidesleeper position.
When I lie on my back, the medium model feels very soft. In this position, I would prefer the firm model. I tried to figure out my preferred sleeping position over the last nights. When I fall asleep, I am more in the stomach position, because my mattress is too hard. When I awake, I am most of the times in the sidesleeper position, and sometimes on my back.

So my question is: If you would buy your bed again - would you choose the same level of firmness? A salesman told me that he knows some customers who where afraid of buying a too plush mattress and regretted it. He told me that I am used to a too hard mattress and the medium one is right for me…

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers from Switzerland,
Chris

Hi Swisssleep,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! all the way from Switzerland :slight_smile:

I would keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

I would also keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Hopefully some Hastens owners will see your post and share their comments and feedback but when you ask questions that are so subjective you may be putting yourself in a difficult or confusing situation because the replies you receive may be all over the map and there may be some people that tell you “I chose too firm” and others that tell you “I chose too soft” and others yet that tell you “I chose just right” and there will be no way for you to know which of the replies would apply to you.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Based on your comments and feedback I would tend to agree with your salesperson. When you are looking at the quality of your sleep the most important part of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) is your posture and alignment and to make sure that your spine and joints are in good alignment in all your sleeping positions. This is the single biggest factor that will affect the quality of your sleep and the ability of your body to rest and recover over the course of the night and how you feel when you wake up in the morning. A mattress that is too firm for your specific needs may not provide good support for the more recessed parts of your body (the lower back or waist) and can lead to sleeping out of alignment … just like a mattress that is too soft.

The next most important part of PPP (after alignment) is to make sure that your comfort layers are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness so that they will relieve your pressure points in all your sleeping positions.

Posture and alignment and pressure relief are the two most important functions of any mattress and everything after this (sleeping temperature, ease of movement, motion transfer, edge support, etc) is more of a preference than a “need”. I would also keep in mind that you can only “feel” a mattress when you are awake and that posture and alignment and pressure relief when you are sleeping is always more important than the more subjective “feel” of a mattress.

Having said that … nobody on a forum can see you lying on the mattress and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so using a “formula” based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance" that is only based on “averages” may not apply to your own specific needs and preferences and in most cases won’t be nearly as reliable as your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial along with the guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced retailer) to help you decide which model or firmness level would have the best chance of success.

Hastens certainly makes some exceptionally high quality hand built and tufted mattresses that uses high quality materials and components (pocket coils and natural fibers) but as you probably know they are in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that also use high quality and natural materials. There is more about Hastens and other “ultra premium” mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here and post #2 here may also be of interest as well (the comments about Vi Spring would also apply to other ultra premium mattresses such as Hastens) but I would be very careful to differentiate how you feel “about” a Hastens and how you feel “on” a Hastens mattress.

There are certainly cases where a mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria that aren’t available in lower budget ranges but this would be unusual and in general I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP, just as durable, and that are in lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

Phoenix

I purchased a very firm, the firmest, Shiffman Mattress 4 years ago and it was very expensive $3500. I have severe back pain every morning for 2 hours and cannot walk. I am researching a Latex now. My mattress is not a pillow top so it is like sleeping on the floor. There was no return policy from the local furniture store, Sedlaks, in Cleveland Ohio where we purchased it at. We are stuck with it. I have been told as you age you need a softer feel and also I am a 66 year old woman over weight and have some arthritis. I would never purchase a Shifman again and No I am not happy with the firmness. I am hoping to find a hotel chain that has latex mattresses so I can try one out before making another major financial mistake. Does anyone know of a Hotel that has these Mattresses?

Hi granite8,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own because it wasn’t related to the topic you originally posted in which was asking about an ultra premium Hastens mattress that is a very different mattress (and in a much higher budget range) than the one you purchased.

I’m sorry to hear that the mattress and firmness level you chose didn’t work out as well as you hoped for and it certainly sounds like your mattress is too firm.

This may be true for some people and not for others. Each person is unique, The only way to know whether any mattress is a suitable choice for you will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience and I would always make sure that you do some careful testing on any mattress you are considering (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that it’s a suitable choice for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) before making any purchase.

I would keep in mind that Shifman and most manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses with different firmness levels and that the issues you are experiencing have less to do with the name of the manufacturer on the label than with the firmness level you chose. The same thing would likely have happened with a mattress made by another manufacturer that was the same firmness level.

[quote] I am researching a Latex now.
Does anyone know of a Hotel that has these Mattresses?
Cleveland Ohio[/quote]

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I don’t know of any hotels that carry any latex mattresses but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked in the previous paragraph) are listed in post #2 here.

It may also be worth considering a topper.

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb much of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

Phoenix